Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Smart Mode - Its Baaaack

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
. . .and for what reason, I don't know but; after the 0801 update there it was in the aircraft menu - an ability to turn on 'Smart' Mode - essentially replacing Sport Mode with the flick of a switch. I have been wanting to try this out just to see what is and what can be done with it. Yesterday another Plus pilot invited me out to his 5 acre property to do some flying so I had the chance to test it briefly. Here is what I found

• To initiate Smart Mode you have to turn it on in the aircraft menu. (see below)
  • Smart Mode replaces Sport Mode while enabled as the top mode from the selector switch.
  • The Flight Mode Icon on the ST-16s screen now Displays a Green S
  • Smart mode allows 'Headless control' as before with one exception -
  • Aircraft will not move away from you when entering the safety zone (at least not when I tried and I was looking at the distanced displayed on the controller which; is what really matters - I got within six feet)
  • Smart Mode is disabled with a switch to either Angle or Home modes from the selector switch and; cannot be re-established without going back into the menu and selecting it there first.

Smart.jpg

Reactions: oliver
That should eliminate the common issue of inadvertently bumping the switch. A potentially useful update, but I sure wish they would address requested items (like say, stable FW updates, consistant CCC or cruise control)... as opposed to non-requested, mostly irrelevant "features".

Last edited:
Reactions: PatR
Doing away with the “smart circle” would be a good thing. The only real bad thing about Smart mode is for those using it to fly behind themselves without turning themselves to face the aircraft, things can get dicey real quick when they encounter the perception of fore and aft control reversal as it passes them front to back.

That and there is still the issue of distance - actual vs perceived (by consumer level GPS) when I did the test of walking towards it while in hover, I was about 50 feet away when I started but the controller had me at 38 feet. And for the benefit of anyone new to Smart mode, the problem before was that; when you(the controller) are close to the aircraft, the GPS fix was not accurate enough to determine which direction was 'away' from you and there were times when it flew towards a pilot having fixed them in a different position. It would appear now that they have taken that 'escape' portion out of Smart mode protocol but it needs more testing. I will try again and see if it will launch while I am in the Smart Circle and in fact if it does not try to retreat from the position to get outside the circle.

Doing away with the “smart circle” would be a good thing. The only real bad thing about Smart mode is for those using it to fly behind themselves without turning themselves to face the aircraft, things can get dicey real quick when they encounter the perception of fore and aft control reversal as it passes them front to back.
@PatR , what is the 'smart circle' you refer too? I'm guessing this is a feature new to H+ but existed on the 480?

Last edited:
Smart circle refers to the self imposed safety margin when the craft is flown in smart mode. This mode specifies that the H must be farther than 26 feet away from the controller. If it ventures into that (or is launched inside that perimeter), it will move away to maintain that safety margin. The problem is that the aircraft will not care if it self-destructs by flying into a wall, tree or neighbor's dog in it's automated efforts to re-establish a distance further than 26 feet away.

Smart circle refers to the self imposed safety margin when the craft is flown in smart mode. This mode specifies that the H must be farther than 26 feet away from the controller. If it ventures into that (or is launched inside that perimeter), it will move away to maintain that safety margin. The problem is that the aircraft will not care if it self-destructs by flying into a wall, tree or neighbor's dog in it's automated efforts to re-establish a distance further than 26 feet away.
yikes! this reads like a disaster just begging to happen... along this theme, when I'm landing and taking off, I turn OBS to OFF just to make sure it doesn't do strange things before I can get it up in the are and clear of objects....

The first real good wreck I had with multirotors was flying a 3DR quad in Home mode, essentially the same as Smart mode but without Smart Circle and flew behind the take off line. I did not yet know of the need to turn around to maintain control orientation. As the quad was rapidly approaching a business I decreased throttle while jamming the right stick forward. As that quad was quite fast the combination of a lot of pitch combined with a reduced throttle put it into the ground hard and fast. Had I reversed the pitch the outcome would prolly have been similar but in front of me instead of behind. Learned a lot about wiring, ESC’s, motors, and frame repairs from that one. And not to depend on a Home/Smart mode to make for easier flying...

Last edited:
The first real good wreck I had with multirotors was flying a 3DR quad in Home mode, essentially the same as Smart mode but without Smart Circle and flew behind the take off line. I did not yet know of the need to turn around to maintain control orientation. As the quad was rapidly approaching a business I decreased throttle while jamming the right stick forward. As that quad was quite fast the combination of a lot of pitch combined with a reduced throttle put it into the ground hard and fast. Had I reversed the pitch the outcome would prolly have been similar but in front of me instead of behind. Learned a lot about wiring, ESC’s, motors, and frame repairs from that one. And not to depend on a Home/Smart mode to make for easier flying...

Orbit is essential, it creates a new perspective.
But let me take orbit in my line of work, this is a great feature, due to its heading hold, while I can take precise photographs to create a 3D map of a structure.

Agreed, Orbit and POI are absolutely essential for what we do. Smart mode, or more accurately called headless mode, can be very useful, but rarely essential. Smart mode is usually not associated with an orbit feature. Something else that provides a more efficient work space for the construction photographer is the ability to lay out a flight plan and associate camera angles with flight plan reference positions before the flight takes place.

At this point in time Yuneec is the only consumer/prosumer drone manufacturer that does not include basic flight planning in their aerial photographer product line unless you buy a model that’s not well suited to general videography, and spend a lot more to do so.

The easier a manufacturer makes it for a photographer to do their jobs the greater the number of photographers that will use them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I have been creating maps with a strict formula and most of my workflow are taken manually, learning in my first year of trial and error, because I refuse to pay DD or any other online 3D mapping provider a ridiculous price, when I can do myself in Autocad Recap Pro.
I agree with you, Pat and note: Today's so-called surveryors are flying at an altitudes that are questionable, because Pix4d, DroneDepoly, and DJI GSP Pro have points and overlay limitations, basic flight and mission plan is always the first resort.
Back to Orbit, I didn't know this mode does not qualify under Intelligent or Smart mode, because this mode can only activated under POI (Smart and Intelligent mode)

I bought this H+ platform, because it is said that mapping is not possible with this craft. I use POI, when there is time constraint, I plot or grid my flight course manually. Construction photographer? What is that? LOL In the pits, you either survey or inspect, shooting photographs in the pit is a waste of time, because we all have 4K cameras, collecting and archiving Brolls is the way to go, time is of the essence, work smarter.

Now that this Orbit feature is available, not a game changer, but a Hallelujah, YOLO! Specially surveying cement stock piles (for me) because at times manual flight is long and boring. BUT, I ONLY HAVE ONE REQUEST FOR YUNEEC... NFZ BUILD PATCH.. HAHAHAHA

At this point in time Yuneec is the only consumer/prosumer drone manufacturer that does not include basic flight planning in their aerial photographer product line unless you buy a model that’s not well suited to general videography, and spend a lot more to do so.

The easier a manufacturer makes it for a photographer to do their jobs the greater the number of photographers that will use them.

AMEN!

I've learned to be patient with Yuneec, because I do not have anything less to say about the behavior and capabilities of my H+

Below is a my second manual map with my own H+

Attachments

• YUNALT80.png
    YUNALT80.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 27

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval