Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Speed thyphoon h pro

Reaction score
Hi... the seller of my typhoon told me that the maximum speed is 72 km / h but even if flight angle mode is that I reach the maximum of 47 km / h. is it really possible to get to 70? Thank you!

To get maximum speed, you need to turn GPS off. Practise in still conditions before you do though!

In angle mode the max speed is about 30 mph / 48 kph. In follow-me mode (Smart mode) the max is about 43 mph / kph. With the GPS off the speed can reach about 55 mph / 88 kph but the H will lose altitude because of the increased tilt angle of the bird. Generally this would be a poor choice for an aircraft built for stable videography.

Reactions: m5zealot and Rayray
In angle mode the max speed is about 30 mph / 48 kph. In follow-me mode (Smart mode) the max is about 43 mph / kph. With the GPS off the speed can reach about 55 mph / 88 kph but the H will lose altitude because of the increased tilt angle of the bird. Generally this would be a poor choice for an aircraft built for stable videography.
Are you sure it would lose height?
In the world of regular heli flying as you increase speed lift increases due to the aerodynamic effect of the airflow over the rotors.
When I fly my heli's if I don't drop collective as you move forward they go pretty ballistic, sure drone would be the same.

Also does it use GPS for altitude control, I thought it used the wee camera in the bottom.

Speaking of Lift....

I always wondered if Cowlings would increase the efficiency of The Typhoon H's Props, and Increase Lift.

Mathmatically Cowlings do increase lift and actually can operate as an airfoil in the right circumstances.

They help with Wash and Draft too.

And on another topic.

You know what would be neat to have on an H?

An after market set of claws or lifting platform that could be mounted to the camera mount.
Not that you would want to lift anything really heavy with it, but it seems like a natural place for it, and you would have power to attach, detach from an object or even possibly be able to mount a couple of robotic arms or claws which you might be able to control with the Camera Controls.

You could knock up or 3d print a wing and fasten it to the landing gear in such a way as it is in the correct flight position with the undercarriage raised.
The wing would have to be clear of the rotor downdraft centres it would definately help.

We have started something here, just wait and see what people start doing now :)

Speaking of Lift....

I always wondered if Cowlings would increase the efficiency of The Typhoon H's Props, and Increase Lift.

Mathmatically Cowlings do increase lift and actually can operate as an airfoil in the right circumstances.

They help with Wash and Draft too.

And on another topic.

You know what would be neat to have on an H?

An after market set of claws or lifting platform that could be mounted to the camera mount.
Not that you would want to lift anything really heavy with it, but it seems like a natural place for it, and you would have power to attach, detach from an object or even possibly be able to mount a couple of robotic arms or claws which you might be able to control with the Camera Controls.
You could send it down the pub and bring back a beer on Curve Cable Cam....

It is definitely provable that Ducts improve thrust and lift. If you had a properly designed duct or cowl for the Typhoon H, you could actually increase your flight time and battery life because you would have less waste of prop thrust, and less draft, and you could maintain the same altitude with your engines at lower RPMs which means that you would expend less energy from the batteries.

contra-rotating.jpg

In the world of regular heli flying as you increase speed lift increases due to the aerodynamic effect of the airflow over the rotors.
When I fly my heli's if I don't drop collective as you move forward they go pretty ballistic, sure drone would be the same.

Also does it use GPS for altitude control, I thought it used the wee camera in the bottom.

Steve is quite correct. Try it!

While ducting sounds great, you will be adding quite a bit of weight. Each duct might not weigh a lot, but add 6 of them. You will save battery life due to slower prop speed, but you will have to compensate for the added weight. There might not be any gain.

I am no expert though. Who's gonna be our Guinea pig?!

I'd volunteer an H as a guinea pig if someone is willing to print some ducts and send em over to me. lol

On day 2 of ownership, I took her off GPS just to see if I had enough skill to control her like my Q500 and ST16 indicated 68 MPH with a 10 mph tailwind! I was very impressed and scared at the same time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Timothy Reece

She is built for taking pictures and video....not win races right? :p

Reactions: PatR and Steve Carr
Ducting does control airflow and increase efficiency if properly designed. Ducting also increases weight due to the duct and associated mounting fixtures. If the duct does not rotate to assume the direction of flight the duct creates massive amounts of drag that more than offset any gains in efficiency. You end up with a net loss.

Adding a wing to a multirotor is, in theory, a great idea for lift generation but at slow speeds it does little more than add weight and induce drag while making the multirotor extremely susceptible to even minor wind impacts. A wing requires an angle of attack for the airfoil design to generate lift. That angle of attack can, and has, caused massive instability issues in custom multirotor designs. As speed increases enough for the wing to become effective multirotor instability increases, requiring additional stabilization devices to augment control. The flight controller must be extremely flexible and allow custom programming as needed as design changes are introduced. All this stuff has been done and some of those designs are flying at this time. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Reactions: DB1 and Tree

It's all about the angle of attack of the "rotor disk". I fly real helicopters. As you move the cyclic forward, the helicopter starts to move forward. However, some of that lift that was used to keep you in that hover is now being transferred to your forward movement. With the loss of lift in the vertical direction, you need to compensate by increasing collective. The more you push the cyclic forward the more you need to compensate with added collective if you intend to maintain your altitude as you increase speed. There is a limit to where no matter how much you add collective, you will still lose altitude because the angle of attack of the "rotor disk" is such that it is not producing enough vertical lift vs. forward speed. Model helicopters are relatively light and the need for added collective may not be as noticeable. I've never flown a model heli so I don't know if they are designed to automatically hold altitude like the "H" does. If they are designed that way, then it would automatically be adding collective to compensate.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB1 and Tree
Collective is what the H does not have, bring fixed pitch. What multirotors do is vary the speed of each motor to provide directional control. Similar occurs to increase forward speed. The H, like some other MR's, will trade altitude for airspeed when both max throttle and max pitch are applied and maintained. The Chroma does this as well.

For an earlier question, baro is the primary control for altitude. GPS assists...when it is functioning. This is part of why the H descends at high speed with GPS off. As speed increases so does wind induced pressure for the baro altimeter. Higher pressure is a lower altitude.

Best advice I have is to learn your aircraft and fly within its limitations. They just aren't designed to do everything for the operator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's great to come in here and read what you fellas have to say. That is why I keep coming back to learn here. Lots of knowledgeable people here.

Thank you SoCalDroner, and PatR for contributing here. I appreciate it.

Reactions: DB1 and Hulletteo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis