Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Spherical protection

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone experimented by creating a spherical frame around the H520 to protect it from impact, let's say, in technical investigations, indoors or cillos, dungeons, forests ... ?

I am thinking of creating one and ideas are more than welcome !

Or, if someone would like to participate in the idea, or may help, feel free to contribute.

We have a 3d-printer. Most difficult parts are :

Joints and fixes to the drone itself
Joints that hold the axes together
Strenght of it all

PS : The axes could be made of carbon-fiber or equivalent (not that strong and lighter) ...

Reactions: BigAl07
You have many factors to consider, here are a few.
center of gravity balancing,
weight = less flight time,
aerodynamics issues,
You ain't gonna stop branches and leaves penetrating the gaps between propellers.
Top heavy?

If it would be a perfect sphere, center of gravity would not be an issue, if it is positioned on it's own center / perfectly balanced.
Offcourse, it would weight more, but, that is up to us to reduce as much as possible !

Aerodynamics, no idea, but worth to try. Sphere must be large enough and must have enough 'venting'.

You ain't gonna stop branches and leaves penetrating the gaps between propellers.
That was just an example :)

Have to he a pretty large frame to clear the propellers and be spherical. It would be like flying something the size of a large umbrella. Perhaps it’s a solution looking for a problem?

Wow, guys, I am just talking about a wire-frame around it, not a closed sphere !!!

Btw, it wouldn't just lift off with a closed sphere around it :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Anyone experimented by creating a spherical frame around the H520 to protect it from impact, let's say, in technical investigations, indoors or cillos, dungeons, forests ... ?

I am thinking of creating one and ideas are more than welcome !

Or, if someone would like to participate in the idea, or may help, feel free to contribute.

We have a 3d-printer. Most difficult parts are :

Joints and fixes to the drone itself
Joints that hold the axes together
Strenght of it all

PS : The axes could be made of carbon-fiber or equivalent (not that strong and lighter) ...

Something like this?
Elios - Inspect & Explore Indoor and Confined Spaces — Flyability

Yes ... That is the idea !

I think it's a lot more complicated than it seems, it's not just the skeleton, I'm afraid there's a lot of programming behind it. Look at how the drone reacts when it hits an object. A "normal" drone with an armour, would not react the same. I don't know, I don't see it as simple as making the protection...............

I posted this link in that thread
Dronewerx, LLC. Unveils New Prop Shielded UAS Design - sUAS News - The Business of Drones which seems to be doable for me as I have a laser cutter.

The only 2 things we need is to do some cage clamping on H520 arms(or main body) with 3d printing and find a material that is lightweight and strong enough for cages parts.

I like the spherical cage idea but considering a h520 size it will be just a huge sphere that will limit what you can do with the drone sitting inside that huge ball. With cages around each prop it won't be as big as with a sphere around a drone. Plus there will be no obstruction for a camera shooting and you can retract legs.

Aerodynamics, extra weight and balancing may be an issue but without creating and trying a prototype we will never know that.

I will try to get some carbon fibre(1mm or 2mm thick) just to see if my laser can cut through it without an oxygen assist but I know sheets of carbon fibre in big sizes are quite expensive. So may be we need to try to do it from sheets of some thin and strong plastic instead.

I posted this link in that thread
Dronewerx, LLC. Unveils New Prop Shielded UAS Design - sUAS News - The Business of Drones which seems to be doable for me as I have a laser cutter.

The only 2 things we need is to do some cage clamping on H520 arms(or main body) with 3d printing and find a material that is lightweight and strong enough for cages parts.

I like the spherical cage idea but considering a h520 size it will be just a huge sphere that will limit what you can do with the drone sitting inside that huge ball. With cages around each prop it won't be as big as with a sphere around a drone. Plus there will be no obstruction for a camera shooting and you can retract legs.

Aerodynamics, extra weight and balancing may be an issue but without creating and trying a prototype we will never know that.

I will try to get some carbon fibre(1mm or 2mm thick) just to see if my laser can cut through it without an oxygen assist but I know sheets of carbon fibre in big sizes are quite expensive. So may be we need to try to do it from sheets of some thin and strong plastic instead.
Those CF sticks can easily be cut with a Dremel that has a cut-off blade. (NORTON 2" Type 1 Aluminum Oxide Abrasive Cut-Off Wheel, 3/8" Arbor, 0.035"-Thick, 30,560 Max. RPM - 4F872|66243411394 - Grainger ). I've even cut large 20mm CF tubing with them on other builds.

I think you are talking about a spherical design similar to what x-fly has done already. There is no problem cutting rods(even steel ones) with just a normal saw or grinder.

I meant this design though Dronewerx, LLC. Unveils New Prop Shielded UAS Design - sUAS News - The Business of Drones
If you look closely at their cage design it is built from flat pieces only that can be easily cut with a laser.

When I have time I may try to do a cage prototype in MDF but as I said above I can do only flat pieces. For mounting them on each prop there should be some 3d printing involved to built some kind of a clamp to hold that cage .

When cutting or making holes in carbon fiber, always remember to wear respiratory protection. Carbon fiber dust is very harmful to health.

I bought a good set of discs for the dremel so I could cut carbon fiber without any problem. Although the truth is that I have not yet needed more than to make holes. Now I'm building an 800mm hexacopter and for now just make holes.

Regarding 3D pieces there are many services that you give them the STL file (generally) and send them to you printed, it's just a matter of designing the piece. You can choose the type of material, Pla, Nylon, Abs (best ASA for the weather), for example.

That you can't lift the landing gear is ideal if you want to protect the camera. Until 4 days ago no drone had electric retractable landing gear and no problem, simply turn the drone instead of the camera. It is preferable to have the camera protected.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sakshijah