Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16+ Distance on screen is wrong

Reaction score
So planning my maiden flight, calibrated everthing, I turn on Typhoon H and then controller, probably 10 ft away from craft the distance reading on ST16+ show's 60 ft, definitely not correct, someone mentioned it will read wrong on ground?

Any help would be appreciated.

Important note - always turn the ST16 first, then the H.

About the proximity, I have also learned that while standing close to the bird the distances it shows may be a little bit off, although 60ft instead of 10ft seems like a little too big difference. Try moving a little bit further away from the bird and see if it becomes more accurate.

Reactions: jimmywe
Distance depends on GPS accuracy in ST16 and YTH. Both must be good. This is not the case in the beginning. Usually it takes time until GPS chip got enough data from sats to compute coordinates. It takes longer (maybe some minutes) when a new location, far away from the previous location, is in use.
Accuracy also depends on where you are. ST16 near a house results in bad coordinates because you got also refected signals which disturbs the GPS chip.

br HE

@h-elsner is a master with the H and his explanation is exactly right. In addition, the ST16 always has fewer sats displayed. I suspect it does not use Glonass sats and only uses GPS. The H uses both.
It's great that you are looking at the telemetry. Many pilots don't spend enough time looking at the numbers to make certain they are proper before a flight.

Important note - always turn the ST16 first, then the H.

About the proximity, I have also learned that while standing close to the bird the distances it shows may be a little bit off, although 60ft instead of 10ft seems like a little too big difference. Try moving a little bit further away from the bird and see if it becomes more accurate.
Once I started flying it corrected itself. Thanks for the input.

Distance depends on GPS accuracy in ST16 and YTH. Both must be good. This is not the case in the beginning. Usually it takes time until GPS chip got enough data from sats to compute coordinates. It takes longer (maybe some minutes) when a new location, far away from the previous location, is in use.
Accuracy also depends on where you are. ST16 near a house results in bad coordinates because you got also refected signals which disturbs the GPS chip.

br HE
You are correct, it took sometime. Thanks.

@h-elsner is a master with the H and his explanation is exactly right. In addition, the ST16 always has fewer sats displayed. I suspect it does not use Glonass sats and only uses GPS. The H uses both.
It's great that you are looking at the telemetry. Many pilots don't spend enough time looking at the numbers to make certain they are proper before a flight.
Thanks Steve.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy