Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 Issues....

Reaction score
Recently I was checking my backup (older) H480 system and found some issues with the ST16. Although the controller seems to work fine as far as controlling the H480 copter, the following issues have been found:
1) Micro SD card is not detected
2) The micro usb charge port does not work for either charging or downloading/uploading (no apparent connection)
3) The speaker does not work
4) Seems to use more than expected power when on and has a small power drain when off - the battery will drain down to 3.5v after a couple weeks on the shelf

I have resorted to removing the battery during long periods between use.

I plan to open it up to check for bad connections to the affected areas.

Any suggestions?

Recently I was checking my backup (older) H480 system and found some issues with the ST16. Although the controller seems to work fine as far as controlling the H480 copter, the following issues have been found:
1) Micro SD card is not detected
2) The micro usb charge port does not work for either charging or downloading/uploading (no apparent connection)
3) The speaker does not work
4) Seems to use more than expected power when on and has a small power drain when off - the battery will drain down to 3.5v after a couple weeks on the shelf

I have resorted to removing the battery during long periods between use.

I plan to open it up to check for bad connections to the affected areas.

Any suggestions?
Has anything ever been installed other than the original software that came pre-installed?

AFAIK no. I bought this unit used so don't know the history, but looking at the system files seems like nothing unusual, just normal files, no outside apps. All I have done is the 2 to 3 antenna mod, and UAVToolbox.

It's possible all of those symptoms are related to a failure on the main board in the ST16.
Regarding the sd slot, are you using a card 32GB or smaller formatted as Fat32??

You will need to upgrade the controller software if you have installed that third antenna. I think I had to when I installed mine.

There always were 3 antennas in the ST16. When people call an ST16 a 2 or 3 antenna version, it only refers to what you see on the top of the controller. The early version ST16 had one external 2.4ghz and one internal 2.4ghz (RC signal). The 5.8ghz mushroom antenna (for video signal) was always external.
Modifying a "2 antenna" unit to a "3 antenna" version just required putting the one internal 2.4ghz antenna outside and adding the extra "rubber duckie" and moving the position of the 5.8ghz antenna. So, there is no software upgrade required for this.
Anyway, this H480 system has always had the latest upgrades installed shortly after they were released.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I opened up the ST16 and didn't see anything obviously out of order. The fact that the 3 issues, the speaker, the SD slot, and the USB port are all not functioning and are all on the same board makes me suspicious that its a problem with this board.

Attachments

• ST16 opened.jpg
    ST16 opened.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 18
I agree. It would be worth an effort to do a factory reset to make certain there isn't a firmware glitch.

Thanks for the suggestion. OK, just finished a factory reset...... no change. So, I think there may be a physical issue with that board, possibly a broken trace or bad solder point.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22