Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 not booting

Reaction score
Its my first post so please dont shout if anyone has had the same problem, I've looked and cant find any answer.

I've had the typhoon since it came out, cant say I've flown more than 3 hours though.
Anyway I plugged the st16 into charge last night and when it was all green I removed the usb lead and left it till i came home from work since i was planning a flight tonight.

I went to switch it on and nothing, no fans no light nothing, so i plugged the charger back in and after a few seconds the fans came on then went off again, no screen nothing, then it seemed to into a mini loop it would start to boot then said entering DOX mode enter reboot command and switched off again.
it is now just doing nothing, it sometimes starts the fans then it goes off again and repeats.

I gather its just a brick now, I havent done any firmware updates or anything with it.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks in advance for any info

No I've just ordered a replacement so when it arrives tomorrow I'll give it a try

Also, try using a phone charger instead of the Yuneec one. Another thing that may work, is using your laptop or PC to charger the ST16. The battery may have for some reason gone lower in voltage than it should be, causing it not to charge. The laptop/PC USB port may trickle it back to a working battery.

Right. Check the battery with a voltmeter. It should be 4.2 volts at full charge.

If the battery is good there is a method to attempt to un-brick it. But before doing so you really need to know if the battery is the cause.

Help! Same problem... well... similar...

Ran the ST16 battery fairly low (stupidly perhaps - 8/9%) but promptly turned off and plugged in to recharge.
Charging symbol (battery) wasn't showing, no response on tapping screen either.

Then it turns itself on, shows yuneec logo, fans on then all off again, and repeats until i unplug it.
Then I got the system recovery screen shown in the photos below a couple times but there are no volume up/down or power buttons which is what it says to use to either scroll or select the options given which are: Reboot (Hilighted) / Update / wipe... / wipe...

So now I've shut it down, taken the battery out in hope that it might just reset itself and recover.
I'm afraid of trying anything else at this time, I've not long had it back from warranty repair as the wifi board was shot last time.

Anyway, @Steve Carr (or anyone else out there) you mention theres a method to resolve this, any info on this please?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_171950179_LL.jpg
    IMG_20190225_171950179_LL.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190225_172007092_LL.jpg
    IMG_20190225_172007092_LL.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I'm sure I read a while back some ST16s would run the battery down and the only solution was to be sent back to yuneec, and some people had to have new controllers.

Leave it charging as mentioned, don’t panic. Even if your RC goes into a brick mode after deep hibernation, the ST16 or ST16s is pretty easy to recover.

So now I've shut it down, taken the battery out in hope that it might just reset itself and recover.
The best solution is to charge the battery with a hobby type battery charger that has a setting for charging a 3.7v lithium battery. The connector on the battery is an EC2. I'm guessing the battery is somewhere around 3.2 volts and it won't charge properly in the ST16 until you can get the battery voltage closer to 3.7.
Do you have a hobby store nearby or any friends who have RC cars? They will likely know how to charge this battery.

Reactions: PatR
I'm sure I read a while back some ST16s would run the battery down and the only solution was to be sent back to yuneec, and some people had to have new controllers.

The best solution is to charge the battery with a hobby type battery charger that has a setting for charging a 3.7v lithium battery. The connector on the battery is an EC2. I'm guessing the battery is somewhere around 3.2 volts and it won't charge properly in the ST16 until you can get the battery voltage closer to 3.7.
Do you have a hobby store nearby or any friends who have RC cars? They will likely know how to charge this battery.

I have an RC charger but it doesn't have this output or connectors.

Anyway, I left it overnight and plugged in to charge this morning.

Hallelujah, it's charging now, albeit slow as heck! But, it's now in the yellow and fingers crossed it'll charge up fully.

I'm assuming these batteries are made up of 3 or 4 - 18650 batteries (the type e-cigs use) - i have reconditiond these seperately, even 'jump started' dead ones so they could accept charge again.

However, since i currently only have the 1 st16 battery i didn't want to risk anything and today is awesome weather (finally) so I am keen to get out flying.

I'll be ordering another 1 to have as spare or 2 if this ones shot.

I'll post results here when done. Thanks all.

EDIT: Now it's in the white! :):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
Saved! Charged fully up. Lucky i guess.

That’s great news.......but.....what about discharging and use? Normal rates? I wouldn’t call it good until it charges and discharges normally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dharminder