Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16+ not connecting to PC, not reading sd card

Reaction score
Hello all,

Having an issue with one of my ST16+ controllers. Long story short my father lost an H when it fell out of the sky into a pond. He bought 2 more refurbished H's and gave me one. The controller on the downed bird was a st16+. He gave me that controller as it seemed to function ok with the new birds and the refurbs came with standard ST16's. Was flying the H he gave to me and it fell ~400' to the ground and has a few salvage parts left. I bought me another refurb. This one came fully updated with an ST16+. I have logged over 100 flights with it.

The only reason I still have it is I want to use it in team mode. I have a wizard remote but like the control of the ST16 better. I am trying to film the local Vegas Drift and Vegas Rallycross racing series. I need team mode so that i can concentrate on piloting while a partner aims the camera. CCC mode is just not fast enough and can't really film with follow me from inside a race car. I need to cut corners and try and keep up with the cars while maintaining different camera angles. If only the camera would follow the wizard and let me control the bird via the ST16. I understand the restrictions on why this will not work.

The "problem" ST16 is on v03.01.b22 and would like to update it thinking that may have caused issues. As soon as I connect via usb the pc tells me that the usb device has malfunctioned. I have tried installing via sd card and it doesn't even recognize there is one there. I am decent with technology. Not too familiar with the android platform at all but through some reading was able to boot the controller into safe mode. Still no dice on the connection via usb or sd card. I have tried going through the android settings and factory restore but still no dice. Contacted Yuneec and they said I would have to send it in. Well I already know they will want to charge me for repairs. Mr. Carr addressed me on facebook when i posted in one of the groups on there and I appreciate the offer, but being the DIY person I am I would spend countless hours to figure it out just because i want to know how everything works and functions. Is there a way to format and re-flash the memory of the ST16?

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
would spend countless hours to figure it out just because i want to know how everything works
You came to the right place. FB is good for quick answers but it's not the place to get into a lot of details. We need to cover some basics on the ST16.
The sd card must be formatted as Fat32. A Class 10 or U1 card is fine and 8 or 16GB works well.
The USB cable must be a data cable. The OEM USB charging cable works best. A phone charger cable may not work for data transfer. Make sure the ST16 is fully booted before connecting it to your computer.

Have you downloaded the firmware files from Yuneec?
Have you tried the USB cable and sd card in the other ST16's?

You won't be able to download the updates via wifi because that function was added with B25 firmware. So you will need to use the sd card or the USB cable to transfer the files to the ST16.

I am unaware of any method of re-flashing the ST16.

You came to the right place. FB is good for quick answers but it's not the place to get into a lot of details. We need to cover some basics on the ST16.
The sd card must be formatted as Fat32. A Class 10 or U1 card is fine and 8 or 16GB works well.
The USB cable must be a data cable. The OEM USB charging cable works best. A phone charger cable may not work for data transfer. Make sure the ST16 is fully booted before connecting it to your computer.

Have you downloaded the firmware files from Yuneec?
Have you tried the USB cable and sd card in the other ST16's?

You won't be able to download the updates via wifi because that function was added with B25 firmware. So you will need to use the sd card or the USB cable to transfer the files to the ST16.

I am unaware of any method of re-flashing the ST16.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help help. I have read some of your other threads and have learned quite a bit.

My main st16 that I use will connect and read as cards no issues. When I try and change just the st16, keep the same data cable and sad card, the problem st16 fails to function. I have downloaded the update files already. I even tried using the drivers from another thread I seen on here to root the st16 but still no dice with a connection.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help help. I have read some of your other threads and have learned quite a bit.

My main st16 that I use will connect and read as cards no issues. When I try and change just the st16, keep the same data cable and sad card, the problem st16 fails to function. I have downloaded the update files already. I even tried using the drivers from another thread I seen on here to root the st16 but still no dice with a connection.
It's strange that both are failing. I can see the sd slot or the USB connector failing to work but having both fail might suggest there is a problem with the main board on the ST16. I suppose it's possible they were damaged by a previous owner. Have you tried to clean them with contact cleaner?

Reactions: Vinny2gunz
I will try cleaning with contact cleaner. Is the main board replaceable or is it just going to be a parts only st16 now

I had similar issues until I used the Yuneec charging cable (likely the other couple of cables I tried were charge only, not data) and formatted the SD card with the ST16.

I had similar issues until I used the Yuneec charging cable (likely the other couple of cables I tried were charge only, not data) and formatted the SD card with the ST16.
Yes I've found it can be fussy about a USB cable.

Blew out and cleaned the usb connector with contact cleaner. Did not connect still. Wiggled the connector around and that seemed to do it. Had the update file ready to transfer. Failed the first time and had to find the sweet spot again. Got the file transferred to internal storage then it updated with no issues. Going to do some short distance low altitude test flights to make sure the controller is ok. Did notice through hardware monitor that i will have to possibly adjust the right stick. J3 was reading +12% while centered. Range is only -74% to +99%.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Did notice through hardware monitor that i will have to possibly adjust the right stick. J3 was reading +12% while centered. Range is only -74% to +99%
Open the ST-16 and clean the pots on the sticks with the plastic safe contact cleaner and stir them vigorously. Then retest in the Hardware Monitor. You should see the sticks centered then and your range be -100 to 100 +/-2 and be 0 at center.

I prefer opening the back to do this so I can spray them while holding the ST-16 so the excess falls away from the rest of the innards.

If that doesn’t cure the offset. Let us know.

Reactions: Steve Carr
then it updated with no issues.
I'm curious if you followed the video tutorial and deleted the flightdata files and created the new model?
As @DoomMeister suggests, clean the sticks and get them working properly before doing a test flight.
BTW, I always remove the camera for test flights. No sense in putting a camera at risk until you are sure the system is functioning normally.

deleted the flight data but not created a new model. It is dark now and will charge the batteries for flight tomorrow.

deleted the flight data but not created a new model. It is dark now and will charge the batteries for flight tomorrow.
If that is the case then the update is not complete. Please review the video below. All of the steps are required for successful completion. Also, please don't do a test flight if the sticks are not zeroed.

Sorry yea wasn’t going to fly without them being zeroed. Just didn’t do the new model because so wanted to bind the craft to the st16 when I did it. And possibly fly it. It sucks here in Vegas this time of year sunset is at 5pm.

If that is the case then the update is not complete. Please review the video below. All of the steps are required for successful completion. Also, please don't do a test flight if the sticks are not zeroed.

Dan is famous on here. Good job he doesn't get royalties, he'd be a rich man by now!?

Everything is working great. Flew two batteries once the rain let up. Now to train the wife to be the camera operator. Hopefully she can do it and I won’t have to fire her lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval