Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 screen flashing on startup .... WTH?!

Reaction score
I flew a week ago, everything ran great. This afternoon, I'm cruising Cherahala Skyway and Tellico River. Very cool place to shoot so I'm super excited to get the plus out and start buzzing the Rapids. I go to setup and the screen on the controller is flashing on startup. Never did boot up. Battery on the controller was 80% when I started. Pulled it, tried again. No change. Tried to post a video from my phone of the problem. Getting a file extension error.

Anyone ever see anything like this before? If so, how did you resolve it?
Thanks in advance for any assistance/ insight or humor that may get my copter back in the air.

Yes, this has been seen before. I started this thread a while ago... The problem started out with android errors and ended up with the symptoms you described with the ST16S unable to boot. Ultimately, I had to send the ST16S and H+ to Yuneec. It is now on its way back to me, should arrive on Monday. Yuneec had to reflash the operating system and FW in the ST16S.

If you can still get into the android operating system, check out this thread where @Mickeyboo was able to reset the OS without the three weeks of down time sending your unit back to Yuneec.

Yes, this has been seen before. I started this thread a while ago... The problem started out with android errors and ended up with the symptoms you described with the ST16S unable to boot. Ultimately, I had to send the ST16S and H+ to Yuneec. It is now on its way back to me, should arrive on Monday. Yuneec had to reflash the operating system and FW in the ST16S.

If you can still get into the android operating system, check out this thread where @Mickeyboo was able to reset the OS without the three weeks of down time sending your unit back to Yuneec.
Thanks @Barton. I finally made some time to get back into this and have made my way into the Android OS. I'm seeing since my initial post, there have been several other issues that have required factory reset of the ST16s. Doesn't look like Mickeyboo did any backup of the files on his controller, but the other threads show that files were backed up. Was this just to go backwards on a firmware update?

Thanks @Barton. I finally made some time to get back into this and have made my way into the Android OS. I'm seeing since my initial post, there have been several other issues that have required factory reset of the ST16s. Doesn't look like Mickeyboo did any backup of the files on his controller, but the other threads show that files were backed up. Was this just to go backwards on a firmware update?
@ricky_martian Happy to read that you were able to get into the Android OS and can do the reset yourself. I think the backups were done to provide complete flexibility on what to install...

Here is my ongoing story. On Sept 29 my ST16S suddenly rebooted and then started the infinite loop of trying to launch the Flight Control 2 app with no apparent way for me to get into the OS to reset the system. This happened 30 seconds AFTER I had just landed the H+. I contacted Yuneec CS and started a new case # and indicated that I wasn't a happy camper. After trying multiple days of getting a response via the case number with essentially no response (and their online chat doesn't seemed to be manned anymore). I finally scheduled a CS call for Friday afternoon, Oct 5. About 15 minutes before the scheduled call time, I received emails from Yuneec CS with RMA numbers for me to return the ST16S. Thinking that this would be another reflash the OS and return the ST16S I was not in a particularly good mood when Angel (Yuneec CS) called. Fortunately, Angel explained what was going on before I had a chance to say anything - Yuneec had decided to send me a NEW ST16S and I was to return mine so that the techs could go over the hardware to understand the apparently very rare failure mode that mine was demonstrating. New hardware was fine with me as I suspect the failure mode on mine was a HW issue. Anyway, I am in waiting mode now. My ST should arrive in Kansas City on Friday. Hopefully my new ST will ship soon thereafter...

Reactions: ricky_martian
@ricky_martian Happy to read that you were able to get into the Android OS and can do the reset yourself. I think the backups were done to provide complete flexibility on what to install...

Here is my ongoing story. On Sept 29 my ST16S suddenly rebooted and then started the infinite loop of trying to launch the Flight Control 2 app with no apparent way for me to get into the OS to reset the system. This happened 30 seconds AFTER I had just landed the H+. I contacted Yuneec CS and started a new case # and indicated that I wasn't a happy camper. After trying multiple days of getting a response via the case number with essentially no response (and their online chat doesn't seemed to be manned anymore). I finally scheduled a CS call for Friday afternoon, Oct 5. About 15 minutes before the scheduled call time, I received emails from Yuneec CS with RMA numbers for me to return the ST16S. Thinking that this would be another reflash the OS and return the ST16S I was not in a particularly good mood when Angel (Yuneec CS) called. Fortunately, Angel explained what was going on before I had a chance to get a word - Yuneec had decided to send me a NEW ST16S and I was to return mine so that the techs could go over the hardware to understand the apparently very rare failure mode that mine was demonstrating. New hardware was fine with me as I suspect the failure mode on mine was a HW issue. Anyway, I am in waiting mode now. My ST should arrive in Kansas City on Friday. Hopefully my new ST will ship soon thereafter...
Good to hear Yuneec is taking care of the problem. Hopefully the new controller will be the end of your troubles with this equipment. Rather than do the full reset, I went into the settings for the flight control app and "cleared data" . Shut the ST16s down and rebooted. It came right up. I did have to bind the copter then the camera to the controller, but that was quick. I'm reading not good things about the updates that are available so Im still running out of the box firmware. When the weather clears (leftovers of hurricane Michael are rolling through tonight), I'll go out and do the triple calibration and hopefully a test flight.

Reactions: Barton

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio