Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16 troubleshooting help for newbie?

Reaction score
Hi.
My (used) Typhoon H Pros arrived today, and I can’t get one of the ST16 controls to do anything but a blue light. I tried charging it, but can’t even get a battery level meter to show on screen. I even switched batteries with the other one, and neither would work. After switching back, the one that worked before worked again. I contacted the seller, and he said the battery could be bad.
Before I spend $50 on a battery, is there anything else it could be? I would think that if it were the battery, then switching batteries would have made the second one work.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I misunderstood your question.
The ST16 may show the blue light and not boot up when the battery is low.

I'm not certain what you mean.
Do you mean you have a completely black screen, and are seeing only the blue light beside the "ON/Off" button?
Do you hear the fans starting?
Did the battery from the "Bad" ST16 work in the "Good" ST16?

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I'm not certain what you mean.
Do you mean you have a completely black screen, and are seeing only the blue light beside the "ON/Off" button?
Do you hear the fans starting?
Did the battery from the "Bad" ST16 work in the "Good" ST16?
Yes, complete black screen.
Blue light by power switch, and a “beep” when I turn it on.
No fans, but the fans don’t make a noise when the other one turns on either.
No, the battery from the bad one made the good one have the same issue...but the battery from the good one did nothing for the bad one.

I also just tried taking the battery out for 20 minutes before reinstalling it, but that didn’t help either.

One could speculate that two things are in play. Both associated with the power system of the "bad" ST16. One is that the power system has failed. The other is that the battery is dead because the "bad" ST16 can't charge it. I would do at least one of these things:

Check the voltage on the "bad" battery using a multimeter.
OR
Put the "bad" battery in the "good" ST16, and put it on charge. If it will charge in the "good" ST16, it is not a battery issue.

Reactions: 7cyclops
If you are successful in reviving the controller, the battery can be left fully charged.

Right now, I have the bad battery in the good controller, plugged in to see if it will charge...but it isn’t doing anything yet.

what can I do to try and fix the bad controller while the other is charging? I currently have the good battery (now fully charged) in the ST16 and have no response from it.

No fan noise from both isn't a good sign, how was the item described in the listing? I take it the one was from an auction?

No fan noise from both isn't a good sign, how was the item described in the listing? I take it the one was from an auction?

This is the given description:
“Up for sale, a set of two (2) Yuneec Typhoon H Pro, both with Intel RealSense obstacle avoidance technology.
The drones are in good cosmetic condition and are both operational.”

yes, from an eBay auction/listing.

Update: After being plugged in for a while, the good unit will power up with the battery from the bad unit. It stayed on for almost a minute, then the battery display flashed and it went off. It is still charging, and now the battery meter will display that it is charging but very low.
So it seems both batteries are ok. One was just very very dead.

Unfortunately, that means that I have a controller problem and not a battery problem, which sounds far more expensive to remedy.

Yeah. But now you can concentrate on the controller. I assume it is a power supply failure, but it is possible it is a dead screen.
With the good battery in the bad controller, try hooking the bad controller up to your computer using a DATA CAPABLE USB cord. See if the computer can see the files on the bad controller. That would be a hint of what you have. Note: Most USB Cables are just charging cables. They WILL NOT WORK for looking for files.

It sounds like the best option is to try to get a refund or replacement from the seller. Is that a possibility?

Don't panic yet.You have some of the Good Guys helping you. I will ask this for you. Can he run both drones {seperately} with one transmitter,just a bind thing,just so he can get to fly and see how both work. Watch the "Drone" battery situation.??Keith C.

Yeah. But now you can concentrate on the controller. I assume it is a power supply failure, but it is possible it is a dead screen.
With the good battery in the bad controller, try hooking the bad controller up to your computer using a DATA CAPABLE USB cord. See if the computer can see the files on the bad controller. That would be a hint of what you have. Note: Most USB Cables are just charging cables. They WILL NOT WORK for looking for files.

It sounds like the best option is to try to get a refund or replacement from the seller. Is that a possibility?

Update: I went and got SD cards and a micro usb data cable. I want to get the good one to connect before I try the bad one. The PC sees the controller, but can’t find the driver. I downloaded/installed the GUI, but it crashes immediately upon opening. I installed the driver, but the PC still won’t apply it to the controller (which comes up as Android). I can not access the good controller from PC.

Regarding a refund from the seller...I’d like to exhaust all possible free options prior to escalating, as I do not handle conflict well.

Last edited:
Hi.
My (used) Typhoon H Pros arrived today, and I can’t get one of the ST16 controls to do anything but a blue light. I tried charging it, but can’t even get a battery level meter to show on screen. I even switched batteries with the other one, and neither would work. After switching back, the one that worked before worked again. I contacted the seller, and he said the battery could be bad.
Before I spend $50 on a battery, is there anything else it could be? I would think that if it were the battery, then switching batteries would have made the second one work.
Thanks in advance.
One more thing you can try is to charge the unit by plugging it into a laptop USB port as they are very low voltage, this will help to trickle charge the battery from dead so as not to charge too quick. When you want to check on the charging progress, tap the ST16 screen and the charging indicator will appear on the screen.

Update: “bad” controller does nothing when connected to PC.
I still have no activity other than a blue light by the power switch, and a beep when switched to “on”.

I installed the driver, but the PC still won’t apply it to the controller (which comes up as Android). I can not access the good controller from PC.
The GUI and the GUI driver only apply to the drone. You don't need either to access the controller. (But, for future reference, start the GUI by right clicking the GUI ICON, and choose "Run as Administrator".)

Anyway, I think you are saying you saw the Controller on your PC. All you will see are a couple of the folders that are intended for access from a PC.
Did you see something like this?
ST16 Directory.jpg

The GUI and the GUI driver only apply to the drone. You don't need either to access the controller. (But, for future reference, start the GUI by right clicking the GUI ICON, and choose "Run as Administrator".)

Anyway, I think you are saying you saw the Controller on your PC. All you will see are a couple of the folders that are intended for access from a PC.
Did you see something like this?
View attachment 22116

no. It doesn’t show up in “my computer”, but if I go to “devices/printers” in the control panel, it shows “Android” with an exclamation point in a yellow triangle. It gives me the option to troubleshoot, but then attempts driver install and goes back to same status.
The other controller doesn’t do anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval