Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

St16 v1.

Reaction score
Is st16 only capable of binding to yuneec products? Or is it possible to bind with other drones?

As far as I know there is no other compatible drone out there. But since the receiver inside the Typhoon H is an ordinary SBUS style (maybe PPM or something else) which can be unplugged and swapped into another drone it should be possible. For example it should not be too hard to install the Typhoon H receiver inside a DJI Phantom V1 or V2 since they are completely modular. You simply need to adjust the flight controller so it will work with the receiver as well as the remote.

Reactions: Crashnburn
As far as I know there is no other compatible drone out there. But since the receiver inside the Typhoon H is an ordinary SBUS style (maybe PPM or something else) which can be unplugged and swapped into another drone it should be possible. For example it should not be too hard to install the Typhoon H receiver inside a DJI Phantom V1 or V2 since they are completely modular. You simply need to adjust the flight controller so it will work with the receiver as well as the remote.

This is all incorrect information. The receiver in the TH has a serial output that is completely different than SBUS or any off the shelf RC receiver protocol. In order to use the TH receiver you will have to either program a microcontroller to convert the yuneec serial protocol to a known receiver format (like SBUS), or program the flight controller to do that directly. I know the PX4 flight controller firmware has code for talking to the yuneec receiver, but that is the only one that I'm aware of and I don't have that type of flight controller so I don't know if it is actually implemented.

This is all incorrect information. The receiver in the TH has a serial output that is completely different than SBUS or any off the shelf RC receiver protocol. In order to use the TH receiver you will have to either program a microcontroller to convert the yuneec serial protocol to a known receiver format (like SBUS), or program the flight controller to do that directly. I know the PX4 flight controller firmware has code for talking to the yuneec receiver, but that is the only one that I'm aware of and I don't have that type of flight controller so I don't know if it is actually implemented.
I did not new about another protocol. I have only seen several people doing it. Seems like there are already PPM/SBUS converters available as well as the pixhawk able of understanding the Yuneec protocol. So it is not compatible with a DJI Naza right away.

The free connector on SR24 is with limited PWM output and the transceiver itself looks to have some compatibility with the Spectrum transmiters.

See GB203 manual for some details. All the rest should be discovered ib an experimental order.

The free connector on SR24 is with limited PWM output and the transceiver itself looks to have some compatibility with the Spectrum transmiters.

See GB203 manual for some details. All the rest should be discovered ib an experimental order.

There is a 4 pin connector on the SR24 that i haven't explored or seen any info on. I assumed it was for programming, but that could be a bad assumption. I would be surprised if it was 'a compatible to most flight controller PWM format' output, but I could be wrong. I will look into it a little. If it is PWM I would guess that on the Q500 or Typhoon G, that connector goes directly to the camera gimbal which I think on those drones uses a weird PWM signal to control tilt.

The manual for the GB203 is talking about connecting that gimbal to a Blade Chroma and controlling it with a spektrum radio. The Chroma was available with either a Spektrum compatible receiver or an ST10+ compatible receiver. They are 2 completely different receivers and I don't think that implies that there is a any compatibility of the SR24 with spectrum transmitters.

Here is a link to the Chroma Spektrum receiver:

and here is the Chroma ST10+ receiver (SR24)

I don't have one, but I assumed that the Chroma Spektrum receiver was programmed to output the Yuneec serial format. That could also be a bad assumption. Another possibility is that the Chroma version of the SR24 is programmed to output a more common serial protocol. Or maybe the Chroma's flight controller is programmed to detect different serial protocols depending on what receiver is connected. Or maybe the SR24 connects to the Chroma using the 2nd connector and that is different protocol, but that isn't what the pictures of the Chroma SR24 receiver I posted look like.

Last edited:
I mean, you can use this receiver with a spectrum transmitter from Chroma.

I'll try to find the picture of the connection, but probably tomorrow. Now I'm pressured by time.

Last edited:
Found it. Page 7.

Attachments

• BLH8627_Manual-EN.pdf
    887.7 KB · Views: 35
And here...

Attachments

• User-manual-2564161.pdf
    494.3 KB · Views: 20
I mean, you can use this receiver with a spectrum transmitter from Chroma.

I'll try to find the picture of the connection, but probably tomorrow. Now I'm pressured by time.

That manual is for the GB203 that is meant to connect to the Blade 350 qx3 or Blade Chroma. I don't have either of those things so it is hard for me to say how they work for sure. But here is what I will say.

1. The Blade 350 qx seems to have been sold with Spektrum transmitter.
2. I can't find anything that says the receiver in the Blade 350 qx3 is a an Yuneec SR24 compatible receiver.
3. The posts I can find about people controlling the Blade 350 with an ST10+ specifically seem to show swapping the the receivers from a Spektrum receiver to a Yuneec receiver
4. The Blade Chroma clearly has two different receivers, one that is compatible with a Spektrum transmitter and one that is compatible with an ST10+ (Blade or Yuneec).

Nothing you have said shows that an Yuneec SR24 receiver (such as the ones in the typhoon H or G, or Q500x, etc) is inside a drone that is controlled by a Spektrum receiver and is therefore compatible with Spektrum.

The SR24 is Zigbee based and Spektrum isn't.

Dylan

The Spectrum receiver at Blade 350QX can be replaced by a SR24 at the same port. The Blade can be controlled then by ST10. I don't believe that this was planned in 350QX firmware but it works by accident.

The additional port on SR24 is connected to 2 in/out pins on the ZigBee SOC: P1_7 (pin37) and P1_6 (pin38) at CC2530. What the pins are doing depends on the SR24 firmware. I'm surpised that it was used for gimbal in the past.
However, the connector is not for programming. Programming can be done using testpads.
sr24_debug.JPG

br HE

Reactions: Pöllö
I did not new about another protocol. I have only seen several people doing it. Seems like there are already PPM/SBUS converters available as well as the pixhawk able of understanding the Yuneec protocol. So it is not compatible with a DJI Naza right away.

Do you have links to people doing it? I would like to figure out an easy way of doing it.

Dylan

The Spectrum receiver at Blade 350QX can be replaced by a SR24. The Blade can be controlled then by ST10. I don't believe that this was planned in 350QX firmware but it works by accident.

The additional port on SR24 is connected to 2 in/out pins on the ZigBee SOC: P1_7 (pin37) and P1_6 (pin38) at CC2530. What the pins are doing depends on the SR24 firmware. I'm surpised that it was used for gimbal in the past.
However, the connector is not for programming. Programming can be done using testpads.
View attachment 24560

br HE

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if the pins on the other connector were used for the controlling the gimbal in the past, I was speculating that if they are PWM, maybe that is what they were for. I found pictures of the connection to the receiver in a Typhoon G and that 2nd connector wasn't used in in that drone either.

Dylan

Ya it a no then lol!! Appreciate ur information someone will find it useful. Have a good evening!

The Spectrum receiver at Blade 350QX can be replaced by a SR24 at the same port. The Blade can be controlled then by ST10. I don't believe that this was planned in 350QX firmware but it works by accident.

View attachment 24560

br HE

you would happen to have a .hex file downloaded off an SR24 would you? Or know whether the firmware is locked or not. I'm trying to avoid cutting the shrink wrap off of one of my receivers and soldering wires to it.

Dylan

The content is locked.
Yes, I could connect to the CC2530 and it answered with correct ID code a524 but when I read the FW I got an empty file

:020000040000FA
:1000000000000000000000000000000000000000F0
:1000100000000000000000000000000000000000E0
:1000200000000000000000000000000000000000D0
... and so on...
:10FFE0000000000000000000000000000000000011
:10FFF0000000000000000000000000000000000001
:00000001FF

br HE

Yes, I could connect to the CC2530 and it answered with correct ID code a524 but when I read the FW I got an empty file

:020000040000FA
:1000000000000000000000000000000000000000F0
:1000100000000000000000000000000000000000E0
:1000200000000000000000000000000000000000D0
... and so on...
:10FFE0000000000000000000000000000000000011
:10FFF0000000000000000000000000000000000001
:00000001FF

br HE

I really thought I had seen a SR24_rx.bin firmware file somewhere, but all I can find is the tx.bin file. Since I can't find a separate .bin file for the receiver but I'm pretty sure it does get updated, I think that maybe the flight controller firmware also updates the receiver SR24. So the only idea I have left to program my zigbee module is to write a serial boot loader to my zigbee module and then plug it into the receiver connector on my TH and try to update the TH's firmware see what happens.

Dylan

Is st16 only capable of binding to yuneec products? Or is it possible to bind with other drones?
It's only capable of binding with the SR24 receiver. However, as Dylanfm and Helsner stated, the protocol specification is available and it is rather easy to write a Yuneec to PPM/PWM/SBUS converter with a Teensy or Arduino. The codes are somewhere here... and I may have something too if you need (Arduino/Teensy to PPM source code, partial telemetry implementation/protocol specification... ;-))

The SR24, when used as a transmitter, is connected to UART of the ST16, and interfaced using a closed source driver written in C/C++, the ST16 is x86 running Android/Linux. The Flight app written in Java, makes calls to the binary driver, if that helps anything... ;-)

Br,

TR

Last edited:
Reactions: h-elsner
I really thought I had seen a SR24_rx.bin firmware file somewhere, but all I can find is the tx.bin file. Since I can't find a separate .bin file for the receiver but I'm pretty sure it does get updated, I think that maybe the flight controller firmware also updates the receiver SR24. So the only idea I have left to program my zigbee module is to write a serial boot loader to my zigbee module and then plug it into the receiver connector on my TH and try to update the TH's firmware see what happens.

Dylan
Would it be easier to capture the serial data using your PC between the flight controller and the SR24? That's how I was studying the protocol for developing telemetry for the Thunderbird firmware.. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval