Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Stepping Up to Q500

Just got a refurb q500 4k with new case on e-bay for 375! I plan to study and pass the part 107 this month. Looking forward to turning pro.
Please post what flight time you get per battery. I too almost bought a Q500 because it states 30 min. flight time but after talking to actual Q500 owners they stated they actually get 12 to 15 minutes.

I know I am getting an average of 10 to 12 minutes, with the stock batteries and I had a couple of 3 cell 5000mah batteries that I had for a couple of cars i use to run and with those I am getting 8 to 12 minutes depending on the wind.

Please post what flight time you get per battery. I too almost bought a Q500 because it states 30 min. flight time but after talking to actual Q500 owners they stated they actually get 12 to 15 minutes.
Arriving today, very excited. It just has one battery and I was confused by the offerings. I suppose I will need more.

Arriving today, very excited. It just has one battery and I was confused by the offerings. I suppose I will need more.
Da'mn right you will. You'll find that having just one battery will leave yourself very frustrated and also tempt you to stay in the air on that one battery far longer than it is safe to do so having pushed that battery beyond safe limits...better to land and shove a second battery in than stay in the air too long on the first.

My view is that a hobby pilot should have at least three batteries. You don't have to use them all in one session, but it's nice to have the option. I have 8 batteries in my inventory.

Reactions: BigRHS
Da'mn right you will. You'll find that having just one battery will leave yourself very frustrated and also tempt you to stay in the air on that one battery far longer than it is safe to do so having pushed that battery beyond safe limits...better to land and shove a second battery in than stay in the air too long on the first.

My view is that a hobby pilot should have at least three batteries. You don't have to use them all in one session, but it's nice to have the option. I have 8 batteries in my inventory.
Or
But what are you using? Is it ok to go over the OEM 5400?

Welcome to the forums, @AlgebraMan

By the way, can I take it from your name that you are in to mathematics in some way?
High school math teacher.

Or
But what are you using? Is it ok to go over the OEM 5400?

High school math teacher.
I have a degree in mathematics and used to work at the biggest college in Manchester, England, before I retired. However, it is true to say that I have forgotten so much now:(

• Wow
Reactions: AlgebraMan
I love the concept of more power & time but I don't want to mess my new bird up.
There is some evidence that the OEM Power 4 5400mAh has been mislabeled and in actuality is more like 6300mAh if other reports are to be believed. One can only speculate why they were mislabeled but issues around transportation rules spring to mind.

You'll be fine if you get an Gifi 8050mAh. Your aircraft won't suffer because of the extra mAh. However, you won't see loads of extra time in the air as the extra mAh would suggest...prolly only an extra minute I'd say. I'll say it again... If given the choice and availability, I would go for the Power 4 every time. My getting that Gifi 8050mAh was just a stop-gap solution to my having difficulties sourcing a Power 4 at that time.

There is some evidence that the OEM Power 4 5400mAh has been mislabeled and in actuality is more like 6300mAh if other reports are to be believed. One can only speculate why they were mislabeled but issues around transportation rules spring to mind.

You'll be fine if you get an Gifi 8050mAh. Your aircraft won't suffer because of the extra mAh. However, you won't see loads of extra time in the air as the extra mAh would suggest...prolly only an extra minute I'd say. I'll say it again... If given the choice and availability, I would go for the Power 4 every time. My getting that Gifi 8050mAh was just a stop-gap solution to my having difficulties sourcing a Power 4 at that time.

Not to step on your toes @FlushVision, but @AlgebraMan is flying a Q500 so the Power 4 battery won’t work in it (but the same thing can be said of the OEM batteries for the Q500 as you stated about the Power 4).

Easy to lose track of the model under discussion at times (the nice part of being a moderator is you can cover your tracks when you screw up).

@AlgebraMan there are several third party batteries available for the Q500 and as long as you use proper care for your Lipo batteries you should have no trouble from them. There are a few factors that determine the flight time from LiPo batteries and there are many threads on the forum that go into a lot of detail on that topic. Suffice it to say that the amount of power that can fit into the physical space of the battery compartment has a limited latitude, so getting a battery with a higher mAh rating will not give you proportionately longer flight time (more mAh but more weight and usually a lower C rating for discharging).

Not to step on your toes @FlushVision, but @AlgebraMan is flying a Q500 so the Power 4 battery won’t work in it (but the same thing can be said of the OEM batteries for the Q500 as you stated about the Power 4).

Easy to lose track of the model under discussion at times (the nice part of being a moderator is you can cover your tracks when you screw up).

@AlgebraMan there are several third party batteries available for the Q500 and as long as you use proper care for your Lipo batteries you should have no trouble from them. There are a few factors that determine the flight time from LiPo batteries and there are many threads on the forum that go into a lot of detail on that topic. Suffice it to say that the amount of power that can fit into the physical space of the battery compartment has a limited latitude, so getting a battery with a higher mAh rating will not give you proportionately longer flight time (more mAh but more weight and usually a lower C rating for discharging).
Yes, I lost track. Thanks for raising that point.

However, for those who are flying the H480 what I said is good.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Yes, I lost track. Thanks for raising that point.

However, for those who are flying the H480 what I said is good.
Very true FV, just didn’t want AlgebraMan to get confused, order a Power 4 and find that it wouldn’t work in the Q500.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I will also invest in a charger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval