Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Storing charged batteries

Reaction score
I just realised that last week I charged my batteries fully to be ready for Friday flying which was cancelled. I didnt fly since, I know that ideal voltage for storage should be 15.5v and I should not fly on lipos that were fully charged more than 3 or 4 days ago.. What do I do now when I have 3 batteries fully charged 8-9 days ago?

I just realised that last week I charged my batteries fully to be ready for Friday flying which was cancelled. I didnt fly since, I know that ideal voltage for storage should be 15.5v and I should not fly on lipos that were fully charged more than 3 or 4 days ago.. What do I do now when I have 3 batteries fully charged 8-9 days ago?

I have the same problem, except mine were charged 4 days ago. I'll go out tomorrow and fly around for a quarter of an hour and then recharge them and go out again later on. Failing that, I guess that you could just power up without the motors running and just let them wind down that way for a while. I'm not that worried about it.

I consider 14.8 volts or 50% charge for storage more than a couple weeks or more.
In your case were it me I'd go ahead and fly your 3 batteries from 8-9 days ago. What you do is up to you, not my decision to make.
If you only have the stock H charger, you have no choice. I think part of your belief is wrong.

Reactions: abinder
I would fly the batteries down for storage if they were not going to be used. If they are to be used I would just fly them until the voltage dropped to the level you generally stop flying at.

I consider 14.8 volts or 50% charge for storage more than a couple weeks or more.
In your case were it me I'd go ahead and fly your 3 batteries from 8-9 days ago. What you do is up to you, not my decision to make.
If you only have the stock H charger, you have no choice. I think part of your belief is wrong.

Not true you have no choice.

If you cant fly down for whatever reason then go get a pair of 12v car bulbs and wire in series to drain the battery to storage voltage.

Reactions: JohnL
When I raced R/C cars using Lipos I wasn't as "anal" about my batteries as I am with Drone batteries. R/C cars won't fall out of the sky.

8 or 9 days isn't bad. Personally, I try to use my batteries within 3-5 days after a full charge. I've left Lipos for my R/C cars for over a month fully charged, no issues what-so-ever.

Personally, I store my batteries in an "after-run-state", so that puts it at around 14.3 volts. This is how I've stored my batteries for R/C cars for years. I've even stored R/C car batteries for over 3 years in an after-run state. I charged up a couple of them and they worked fine. They ran fine....

Not giving anyone any advice, just stating what I do...

Go fly them. Fly to 14.8 on the st 16 then store em

I have a question about storage for the experts. I'm new to drones and lipo's. I've picked up a Hitec X4 charger/discharger and plan on having my batteries in storage mode when not in use or over the winter months.
My question is - do you just plug it in and let it sit on your shelf or work bench or should one put them into those fire safe lipo bags whilst plugged into the X4?

The storage is really for protection. Limits oxygen for a fire.

So do you have your lipo's all plugged in and then placed in your ammo box? Do you seal your box shut or just leave your cables running out? Sorry guys - just a newb at all of this.

thanks for your replies, i went to fly them batteries and still didnt crash my h :)

thanks for your replies, i went to fly them batteries and still didnt crash my h :)

NO FEAR. Good to hear it. I bought a LIPO bag from Amazon that hold 3 or more, and folds flat so it's not in the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval