Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Success stories with the H

Reaction score
I'm sure Simon didn't get the only good H out there. If yours is everything we have been looking for please post your story here. We need to read some positive posts. How great is your camera, how far did you fly, is it as fast as a Phantom?

Hope the big wigs aren't getting hand assembled and tested by Yuneec's VP of Marketing, LOL Just hoping !

That's what I was thinking. Simon and Ming may have "vip" built units. I wonder whose Tim was testing?
I have the word of the managing director of Yuneec UK that the unit I have is exactly as they are all coming, with the exception that the Wizard firmware is updated on those in the first main shipping batches compared to mine. I haven't even got round to playing with that yet as it's been raining again... :(

I'm very happy with mine so far. Very stabile and easy to fly, but then I haven't flown r/c helicopters since the large single-rotor ones from 5 years ago. I've been spending most of my flights working out the details of CCC mode, both with Follow Pan mode and Global Pan mode since that's what I expect to use mostly. What attracted me most to the H is that you can fly with two people; a pilot and a camera operator, but with CCC unless you're doing a shoot that doesn't allow multiple takes, a single person can do both at separate times. Map the helicopter flight on the first pass and operate the camera on subsequent passes.

My biggest issue so far is lack of batteries. I only have one, and have so far run it down 7 times since Friday. I have three others all ordered from different companies hoping I'll at least get one additional battery soon.

Reactions: Skypicswa
I'm sure Simon didn't get the only good H out there. If yours is everything we have been looking for please post your story here. We need to read some positive posts. How great is your camera, how far did you fly, is it as fast as a Phantom?

I can answer your questions in order:
I uploaded the files off the card, make up your own mind!
As far as is legal in the UK with no problems.
No, it isn't. But then as a camera platform I'm not sure what the issue with speed is. ;)

One thing I did do is take the cover off the underside LED and found a big, fat 6 pin connector just hanging about in there. So for the doubters, it looks like RealSense and/or IPS will be an easy retrofit for those who want to do that in the future - just a 1.5mm hex driver required.

I have the word of the managing director of Yuneec UK that the unit I have is exactly as they are all coming, with the exception that the Wizard firmware is updated on those in the first main shipping batches compared to mine. I haven't even got round to playing with that yet as it's been raining again... :(
There seem to be quite a few issues with the 1st batch of arrivals. I will hopefully get to do my independent testing this weekend:)

There seem to be quite a few issues with the 1st batch of arrivals. I will hopefully get to do my independent testing this weekend:)

I've just looked at the "issues" thread. As someone who's owned every Phantom since the Vision up to the 3Pro I haven't seen anything in there that we didn't see after the launch of all of those. Sometimes hardware, sometimes firmware. :)

I saw people talk about the fan in the ST16 issue, so opened mine up out of curiosity. Take off the rubber grips and then just go to town with a 2mm hex driver. Looks like the two cooling fans are miniature computer-type ones where the blades are held in by magnets. One fan points outwards, the other is flipped over and points inwards. This latter is the culprit I suspect - in transit I reckon a hard enough jolt would make the blades pop off as there's nothing to stop that happening. In normal use I suspect you'd have to drop it or treat it fairly rough to make it happen again. Should be a simple fix for the factory, just put a plastic strip across the fan unit to keep the blades attached under a shock. Looks very nice inside the ST16, though - good build quality, quality solder joints, very neat and tidy.

I've had no flight issues, but as I'd class myself as an experienced pilot (but certainly no hotshot) I've been running in Angle mode as that's how I'm used to flying. If you come from Phantoms and are used to holding the throttle closed for a couple of seconds after touchdown then that's exactly what you do with the H. Bring it down, then as soon as the legs touch chop and hold the throttle closed. After a couple of second the motors go into "idle" and you won't get any bouncing or take-off attempts. Then you can safely hands off and reach for the kill switch.

So far, so positive from my point of view. Hard to objectively see how it would be for beginners, though - Smart mode just messes with my mind as I'm used to flying "properly" so I've ignored it. The manual does say that it's best to get into angle as soon as possible and just learn to fly it the right way... :)

We know, just playing around, trying to fiquire out all these new issues popping up ! I appreciate all the wisdom you has instilled upon us all !:)

is it as fast as a Phantom?
Finding any decent camera platform as fast as a P4 in sport mode may take a while!
Mind you it looks like DJI pushed it a bit hard, the battery lasts around 12 minutes and reportedly overheats easily, so speed ain't everything, and with the H's aerodynamic profile being a bit larger by the look of it, it will struggle without some extreme pitching.
That said, there's a video doing the rounds (recently re uploaded for audio-legal reasons) that has the H easily following a car doing 40mph, which is a good bit higher speed than it's being advertised as capable of.

Last edited:
I've just looked at the "issues" thread. As someone who's owned every Phantom since the Vision up to the 3Pro I haven't seen anything in there that we didn't see after the launch of all of those. Sometimes hardware, sometimes firmware. :)

I saw people talk about the fan in the ST16 issue, so opened mine up out of curiosity. Take off the rubber grips and then just go to town with a 2mm hex driver. Looks like the two cooling fans are miniature computer-type ones where the blades are held in by magnets. One fan points outwards, the other is flipped over and points inwards. This latter is the culprit I suspect - in transit I reckon a hard enough jolt would make the blades pop off as there's nothing to stop that happening. In normal use I suspect you'd have to drop it or treat it fairly rough to make it happen again. Should be a simple fix for the factory, just put a plastic strip across the fan unit to keep the blades attached under a shock. Looks very nice inside the ST16, though - good build quality, quality solder joints, very neat and tidy.

I've had no flight issues, but as I'd class myself as an experienced pilot (but certainly no hotshot) I've been running in Angle mode as that's how I'm used to flying. If you come from Phantoms and are used to holding the throttle closed for a couple of seconds after touchdown then that's exactly what you do with the H. Bring it down, then as soon as the legs touch chop and hold the throttle closed. After a couple of second the motors go into "idle" and you won't get any bouncing or take-off attempts. Then you can safely hands off and reach for the kill switch.

So far, so positive from my point of view. Hard to objectively see how it would be for beginners, though - Smart mode just messes with my mind as I'm used to flying "properly" so I've ignored it. The manual does say that it's best to get into angle as soon as possible and just learn to fly it the right way... :)
Great info, and I thought it should operate on landing similar to the P's, save for the CSC shutoff(both sticks down n In) Instead the red button kill !

Finding any decent camera platform as fast as a P4 may take a while!
That said, there's a video doing the rounds (recently re uploaded for audio-legal reasons) that has the H easily following a car doing 40mph, which is a good bit higher speed than it's being advertised as capable of.
It is well known that the H can top 44 mph from previous posts, hope to find out Friday, but I am sure for a while I will letting off the throttle till I feel my new bird out !;)

It is well known that the H can top 44 mph from previous posts, hope to find out Friday, but I am sure for a while I will letting off the throttle till I feel my new bird out !;)
That's fast enough for me!
Get it out and thrash it, you know you want to! ;)

Finding any decent camera platform as fast as a P4 in sport mode may take a while!
Mind you it looks like DJI pushed it a bit hard, the battery lasts around 12 minutes and reportedly overheats easily, so speed ain't everything, and with the H's aerodynamic profile being a bit larger by the look of it, it will struggle without some extreme pitching.

On the first flight video I published I saw 29mph groundspeed indicated on a cross-wind run. With the wind directly behind it I can believe it could reach 40mph, although in calm conditions I think somewhere in the early 30s is likely to be where it's at.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop