Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Telephoto attachment on C23 lens.

Reaction score
I haven't plopped my credit card on the counter just yet for an H+ but I am getting ready to :p Gonna wait till January to see if there is a price drop. My only concern is the wide viewing angle of the C23. The photography I want to do is not so much the sweeping panorama videos, but rather still shots at relatively close range to the subjects. I am mostly shooting plants that I can only get to using a drone because they are in wetlands. However, if I get too close, the wind from the props will start to blow the leaves all around.

I am wondering this: if I put an optical telephoto converter on the front of the C23, will the extra weight interfere with the normal function of the gimbal? How about if I were to attach a counter-weight at the opposite end of the camera from the lens?

Thanks for your help. I just discovered this fantastic community and am delighted to be a new member. You guys are doing great stuff here!

At risk of betraying this forum I’m going to suggest you get an Anafi. The reasons you state are why it’s your best choice. It’s camera produces 22mp stills that are amazing and it’s video is great with a zoom to boot. It’s small, quiet, and I’ve had hummingbirds come right up to it in flight. It’s the photographers drone that’s easy to pilot and very reliable.

Here is my first ever flight with trying the tilt and zoom. It’s a bit self indulgent in length but I keep it for the magic that the drone created.

Dead Tree and Birds

There is no betrayal here, my friend... The best tool for any specific job will vary... anyone trying to do NDVI work will not choose a Yuneec product either.

@homedoc, IMHO attempting a teleconverter will be an exercise in futility. $1200 of the price of the C23 is tied up in that superior camera... your loss of optical quality will be noticeable, from both the teleconverter optics and the magnification of the image, which will reveal vibrational softness, particularly if the gimbal is under stress from the added front weight. Any teleconverter will be a significant weight shift, as compared to a ND filter.

If your final photos do not need to be the full 20 megapixels, you will end up with a perceptually superior image with a cropped photo from the C23, than the teleconverted image.

Reactions: DCH
Five things ruin drone images and they are:

1. Ship shadow
2. Visible prop wash
3. Rolling prop shadow across the lens
4. Jello/image stutter from gimbal shake
5. Props in shot

Countless hours of typing has been spent by every pilot over the why these things happen with any and all products. The 480 is one of the most trustworthy camera drones as it’s well designed with the gimbal and camera placement positioned where it reduces the likelihood of numbers two to five.

The C23 is my best camera but its subject to higher frequencies of problem 5 due to larger frame, bigger props, lower slung camera with longer lens, and different flight behavior. I have to pilot the Plus more than a 480 if I don’t want these things to happen. My gimbal and flight tweaks to my 480s are still more elegant for me and it’s more reliable in a planned shoot because I’ve got more experience with it. With the Anafi, Parrot gets all of the above issues and they have eliminated all but number 1 but even that is greatly reduced with its small footprint.

I offer this as a pilot who enjoys low and slow and close up to the cactus and wildflowers. This time of year we get mountain snow and it was a New Years night rare valley snow that taught me this. Early New Year’s Day 2014, with my Blade 350 hauling a GoPro hero 3 I went for sweeping vistas but my newly built FPV system broke a wire and I was flying without view. I went for some good old fashioned close quarter flying and that low angle footage of the snow on the cactus arms and needles juxtaposed against the always in focus background of snowy covered mountains is still one of my best videos.

I think in time, we will have a good 1” sensor camera with optical zoom that’s reasonably affordable. We all probably hope Yuneec would make one we could pop on to our plus or at least encourage 3rd party developers to partner with them on such a thing.

Curious to see what this years CES offers....

Reactions: Lucky and rdonson
Rather than chasing wishes and fishes with an H or H Plus, just find a 920+ to obtain all you asked for and more. A full 16mpxl, 1” sensor, no distortion lens, along with aperture and shutter speed control, higher bit rates, more flight control features than an H 480 or H Plus, 18-21 minute flight time, all combined with a 3.5-4X optical zoom. Even better is you don’t have to buy expensive OEM batteries.

Many are stating they wish more capability was available with Yuneec products. The fact is, it has been available since late 2014 but the price was too high. It’s not too high anymore and is frequently comparable to the more limited H Plus.

Some may complain it’s too big. Ask any girl of age and experience if bigger isn’t better[emoji2960]

Thanks so much for all your input, guys! The 920 would be a great solution, but it is out of my snack bracket at the present time. Maybe I'll try the Amalfi first and see what I can do with it. If I really like the results, I would then go for the 920. I've been taking pictures for 65 years and fine art photos for 50 years, but I have never flown a drone before! Only the Falcon 4 F16 flight simulator program. So I am probably better off putting a toe in the water with the very affordable Amalfi first. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has zero obstacle avoidance and no crash protection "insurance" policy from Parrot. Am I looking at a disaster waiting to happen? This old dog is still learning lots of new tricks :)

Nice thing about zoom; you don’t need to have a lens up close and personal with stuff to obtain s good image. Obstacle avoidance is for people that are exceptionally reckless. Save the super close ups for macro hand held set up.

Thanks so much for all your input, guys! The 920 would be a great solution, but it is out of my snack bracket at the present time. Maybe I'll try the Amalfi first and see what I can do with it. If I really like the results, I would then go for the 920. I've been taking pictures for 65 years and fine art photos for 50 years, but I have never flown a drone before! Only the Falcon 4 F16 flight simulator program. So I am probably better off putting a toe in the water with the very affordable Amalfi first. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has zero obstacle avoidance and no crash protection "insurance" policy from Parrot. Am I looking at a disaster waiting to happen? This old dog is still learning lots of new tricks :)

Same background as you @homedoc , you might want to take a look at my thread here and even start out with a microquad, before the Anafi...

A Droner's Guide to Surviving Virginity

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
You can pick up many below 50.00 Chinese WiFi camera drones that have actually decent features and are great little learning products. Captain Drone featured a little mini Mavic air looking thing a month ago that’s surprisingly decent. The Ryze Tello is a very good entry drone and has surprisingly good stable footage with its EIS on during slow flight.

The main cause of crashes with objects is orientation confusion when facing yourself. For this reason, often times straight out and straight back are the safest and pull backs always look cinematic.
Also, you will think you are closer to things then you are as perspective and distance judging with a drone takes time to understand. I “chickened out” often early on as I’d think I was closer to an object then I actually was.

If you want more autonomy and sensors then it’s a Mavic Pro zoom I’d recommend for you. Bit pricier then the Anafi and you could crash 3 of them for the cost of that Mavic.

This morning I’m going after our “fall” to see the back of our Rincon mountains from the Cottonwood filled San Pedro river valley. I’m taking my Anafi with 6 batteries, my H+, and Osmo mini.
The plus will handle the wider vista shots and the Anafi will get the photos and panoramas as that feature works the best on that amazing little gimbal. I can recharge all things Parrot from my car or with power banks as it’s all USB C connections and no special chargers needed ever!

Have you considered a Typhoon H with the CGO3+ camera fitted not with the stock lens, but an after-market lens such as the Pixaero 6mm or for more reach, the Peau 8.25mm?
With the latter, I can imagine identification of the larger rushes, sedges, most grasses and genera, but not species, of e.g. Myosotis and Drosera. What subjects are you looking for and whereabouts are you? If in Ireland, I may be able to help with a demo.

Rather than chasing wishes and fishes with an H or H Plus, just find a 920+ to obtain all you asked for and more. A full 16mpxl, 1” sensor, no distortion lens, along with aperture and shutter speed control, higher bit rates, more flight control features than an H 480 or H Plus, 18-21 minute flight time, all combined with a 3.5-4X optical zoom. Even better is you don’t have to buy expensive OEM batteries.

Many are stating they wish more capability was available with Yuneec products. The fact is, it has been available since late 2014 but the price was too high. It’s not too high anymore and is frequently comparable to the more limited H Plus.

Some may complain it’s too big. Ask any girl of age and experience if bigger isn’t better[emoji2960]
Totally agree. It is very stable and easy to fly.

Might want to take a look at camera rigs used for serious cinema and advertising work. They are generally equal to or larger than an Inspire, and the Inspire is larger than an H. A photo rig is all about the camera. If the rig you have can’t do what you need because of the camera, you own the wrong rig.

Might want to take a look at camera rigs used for serious cinema and advertising work. They are generally equal to or larger than an Inspire, and the Inspire is larger than an H. A photo rig is all about the camera. If the rig you have can’t do what you need because of the camera, you own the wrong rig.
True.

Five things ruin drone images and they are:

1. Ship shadow
2. Visible prop wash
3. Rolling prop shadow across the lens
4. Jello/image stutter from gimbal shake
5. Props in shot

Countless hours of typing has been spent by every pilot over the why these things happen with any and all products. The 480 is one of the most trustworthy camera drones as it’s well designed with the gimbal and camera placement positioned where it reduces the likelihood of numbers two to five.

The C23 is my best camera but its subject to higher frequencies of problem 5 due to larger frame, bigger props, lower slung camera with longer lens, and different flight behavior. I have to pilot the Plus more than a 480 if I don’t want these things to happen. My gimbal and flight tweaks to my 480s are still more elegant for me and it’s more reliable in a planned shoot because I’ve got more experience with it. With the Anafi, Parrot gets all of the above issues and they have eliminated all but number 1 but even that is greatly reduced with its small footprint.

I offer this as a pilot who enjoys low and slow and close up to the cactus and wildflowers. This time of year we get mountain snow and it was a New Years night rare valley snow that taught me this. Early New Year’s Day 2014, with my Blade 350 hauling a GoPro hero 3 I went for sweeping vistas but my newly built FPV system broke a wire and I was flying without view. I went for some good old fashioned close quarter flying and that low angle footage of the snow on the cactus arms and needles juxtaposed against the always in focus background of snowy covered mountains is still one of my best videos.

I think in time, we will have a good 1” sensor camera with optical zoom that’s reasonably affordable. We all probably hope Yuneec would make one we could pop on to our plus or at least encourage 3rd party developers to partner with them on such a thing.

Curious to see what this years CES offers....
good comments. i have some questions
1. what's the focus length range you prefer?
2. How much would you pay? yes it depends on the lens, for instance if one gimbal camera with the same lens as Leica C-lux. dji launched a 30x zoom camera with 1080p, about $4500.
3. how about lossless zoom like annfi, then you can achieve about 2.8x zoom for 1080p resolution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold