Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tethering solution for h520 or H

Have you checked into what these things cost? If not I think you might want to be sitting down. :)

A pole may be an option for 3-5 meters height but what if one needs to be higher. I think it is not so hard to DIY tethering with power from the ground as long as one can find a skinny and lightweight power cable and some solution to feed power through a modified h520 battery. It should not cost more than a few $100s. That's why $6000 price for a commercial product that does something similar seems to be totally unreal.

An issue comes into play with higher elevations and what an H lens delivers. The E-50 improves things a bit. Unless you prefer looking at very tiny images any distance much over 50’ from the subject is limited in use. An average security cam would provide similar imagery at a vastly lower cost. If we were referring to a telephoto lens equipped platform the value would change for the better depending on the total cost of all the equipment but even with that a series of 1080 cameras at some level of spacing could still end up more effective and provide greater coverage at a lower cost. It always comes down to a cost-benefit-efficiency thing.

I thought, during the first discussions in this very forum, the Hoverfly was in the $3000 (US) range? Is the $6k price including the H?

As we chided previously, how do we do inflight prop changes every 20 hours?

As for DIY, how’s the other thread discussing this very project coming along?

Jeff

(All questions rhetorical as they are referencing other established discussions.). [emoji41]

Who the **** does 20 hour prop changes? I’ve been flying my H props for over 2 years[emoji15] and I’ve already put almost 20 hours on the 920 props. Seriously, I’ve flown individual props for well over 500 hours on fixed wings.

Who the **** does 20 hour prop changes? I’ve been flying my H props for over 2 years[emoji15] and I’ve already put almost 20 hours on the 920 props. Seriously, I’ve flown individual props for well over 500 hours on fixed wings.

Partially tongue in cheek, Pat. And partially satire relating to the published maintenance intervals for the H520.

The previously mentioned thread, talking about the tethered flight, described several days of uninterrupted flight tests by the system. During that discussion someone up in the north country made a comment about the 20 hour prop change interval, and doing it while inflight. :)

On a serious note, it has also been mentioned that, if an unfortunate incident were to occur, traced back to a component lacking for attention to maintenance schedules, might be grounds for denying warranty or insurance reimbursement.

Thoughts?

Jeff

By publishing that prop replacement schedule they certainly did lock commercial operators into following it, unless a commercial operator had the means to force Yuneec to disclose in court the test data that established valid response for the schedule.

I found it curious that Yuneec dropped their prop bomb shortly after DJI published their prop life cycle. DJI had experienced some problems with prop failures while Yuneec never has. For Yuneec it seemed then, as it does now, as just a means to sell more product as there’s still no forum evidence of their props failing.

OTOH, Yuneec did decide to replace the newer 920 Plus carbon props with plastic which may have generated some concerns about prop failures but they didn’t put anything in the 920 manuals about a prop life cycle.

Also makes one think about having more than one set of props. One for testing (leisurely strolls) and another for official business; use logs in play. The latter being the ones to ensure are always "within specs" when performing any for hire operations, or official operations, for that matter.

Good idea, but your ops and maintenance logs would have to show all the prop swaps between recreational, test, and commercial flights. More effin paperwork...

I thought, during the first discussions in this very forum, the Hoverfly was in the $3000 (US) range? Is the $6k price including the H?

I think it is a bundle price with a drone included but considering that h520 cost less than US$2000 it is still over $4000 for their product.

Anyway they have removed all prices from their website. They were there just 3-4 days ago.

it is not question of prop, but tethering drone power, this kind of product the army need it, for a lot of application, without change anything on the drone. the tethering is just to have a special application. it is very expensive too. it is working very well for all the DJI
please be serious and forget about tole pot or cord, thks
only wings, found the solution and drone evolution
Thks

@airevenpro,

In case you hadn’t noticed, you are responding to a thread that, until your posts, had not been active for almost two years.

Lots of things have changed since then, including availability, let alone the tone of the original conversation.

Hope you are able to find a suitable solution.

Also, if you are looking for specific help, perhaps starting your own thread with an appropriate title might get you the feedback you are after.

Good luck!

Jeff

The trick in a home made rig is the gauge and resulting weight of the wire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33