Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The elusive calibration software

Reaction score
I got a reply email from someone who was employed by Yuneec. The email is written in broken English and was hard to understand but I made enough heads n tails from it to find that it had a link attached to it. Being a skeptic of emails titled "were you looking for this", I wasn't sure if I wanted to click the link or not. Then I noticed it was connected to a google drive folder (private). So I scanned the link, checking for a virus or malware but it come back clean. In the email, the guy claims to have worked for Yuneec and has something I have been looking for so with my finger nervously shaking I left click on the link. To my surprise, I see a folder named Yuneec Gimbal SETV39/Calibrations. I downloaded all the files to an external drive and scanned them.....four times. Now, I have a bit of software that a friend helped me with which I use to calibrate some parts of these gimbals but I wasn't able to do them fully. I had been searching, almost begging for someone to share the calibration software. I offered one person 500 dollars for a copy but he never replied. I have 37 of these CGO gimbal/cameras and 14 of them needed a full calibration. Anyway.....After scanning this folder and its contents, it comes back clean so I open it. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!
The folder not only has the elusive software but also bootloaders, firmware, and other software included. Now before anyone gets their hopes up, I want to say that I have not tried any of it yet. The instructions for the software are in Chinese and a bit hard to understand. I plan to give this a try this week and I will update my results here.

I hope you all have a great day.
John

Test it. Where is the problem and about is this message? At least one more guy reported a working solution from the PC's motherboard reflashing skills from a friend of his. Why not you be the second, who broke the barrier?

Test it. Where is the problem and about is this message? At least one more guy reported a working solution from the PC's motherboard reflashing skills from a friend of his. Why not you be the second, who broke the barrier?
I will have more time this weekend. If it works without issue I will share it.

I'm looking for the bootloader of the MCU board from Typhoon H. I have some MCU boards to test different files. It would be nice to go forward and back with Thunderbird firmware and stock firmware..
I thought all the firmware was open-sourced. If I see anything that looks like what you need I will share it,.

Reactions: Pier2162
Typhoon H drone FW is not open source. The bootloade is read protected by STM32. You can delete it and flash a new bootloader, in this case the one from open source PX4 derivation "Thunderbird" but then there is no way back to Typhoon H. If we have the original bootloader, there is a good chance to go back.
Bootloader should be a bin file, around 10kByte.

br HE

Typhoon H drone FW is not open source. The bootloade is read protected by STM32. You can delete it and flash a new bootloader, in this case the one from open source PX4 derivation "Thunderbird" but then there is no way back to Typhoon H. If we have the original bootloader, there is a good chance to go back.
Bootloader should be a bin file, around 10kByte.

br HE
I will see if it was included in the package I have. I am pretty sure I don't but I can speak with the person who sent me this one to see if he may have it.
Also, I work with a lot of stm32 projects. I can see it I may have something that would read it. I have never tried.

Also, I work with a lot of stm32 projects.
Here a more realistic point comes in the speech. Is not necessary to have a bootloader, when you have a flasher as a part of the H480 GUI. This flasher doesn't check what it is flashing. Probably the flashed file is encrypted or not. If it isn't encrypted you can flash any exploit and do everything. I have no needs to go further in this way, because I still didn't find a reason to use an alternative project, based on the H480 hardware. The original platform does it all in the best way. My focus is on alternative cameras and automated flight modes.

CGO3+ can be repaired without any software. The only pre-requisition is to use an already used gimbal PCB. There are no specific parts, which can't be obtained from a donor camera.

Not the same as with C23/E90 cameras. There are used a very stupid design with ribbons and a lot of jumping connectors. These ribbons are available as spare parts but the price is speculative high. Another weak part here is the pitch magnet, which is with the same inner and outer diameter as in CGO3+ magnets but it is intentionally designed lower and is displaced with a shim on the motor shaft. Using a normal size magnet from 3+ gives better results. No idea if the software is needed here in the repair process. These toys are expensive and after the crash not a lot of the parts are usable.

Public availability of the software will give a chance to do some reverse engineering and to change some internal parameters. As an example, when I'm using a relatively heavy filter on CGO3+ I should use a counterweight too. Without it, the camera drops position in mid-air, which loses one important for me vector, which can be set only in the preflight phase on the ground.

In conclusion, public availability of this software with a loud precaution "USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!" is a better decision.

I for one would be very happy to use this software.
O.P. you are very awesome for sharing what was shared with you.
I also dreamed of this day when the software could be used.
Now my next dream in line is for Yuneec to come back into operation.
Use at your own risk is good enough for me.
We have a website where we can put our heads together and create a how to tutorial.
That's what it's all about in my head.

For being able to read the interface in a foreign language, the Google translate app on a phone can do live translation with the camera. I've used that with Japanese software for my car's dashcam before.

If the tool ends up being useful, you might want to try opening the exe with "Resource Hacker" to see if the Chinese menus and buttons and stuff are stored as "resources". Anything stored in that way can be edited to create an English translated version... Depends a lot on what sort of development software they used. Sometimes there's just the icon. Other times almost all of the application can be edited.

O.P.
You could post screenshots of the interface with the buttons, etc.
We could individually decifer each button and just write down on paper what each button is.
We wouldn't use the software enough to need to create a English version.
My English speaking daughter, when k-pop bands came out, she learned to read and type in Korean in about a month.
I was surprised you could type the symbols with a regular computer keyboard.
Anyway, with just photos of the screen, I'll get you a English conversion so we know what buttons to push.

I am waiting to hear back from an admin. I will post a link to the software as long as it doesn't break the rules here. So far, I have the OK but give me one more day to double-check. I did share it on a social media outlet. Several people already have it and are working with it.

Thanks for being patient.

O.P.
Thank you,
A few years back I was also on a quest for this software and gave up.
So glad you tried harder.
Also thank you to the person who shared with you.
I do wish I wasn't already buried in projects.
I'll monitor this thread and pick it a few parts to help with.
For now if someone can get it opened up and post some photos of the Chinese characters we need to decifer that would be a good starting point.

Reactions: cabinfourus
O.P.
Thank you,
For now if someone can get it opened up and post some photos of the Chinese characters we need to decifer that would be a good starting point
If you still want to feed people with hopes, do your own video. ;)
Must agree, find this irrelevant and not sure what benefit it will have for us that just want to fly in peace

O.P.
Thank you,
For now if someone can get it opened up and post some photos of the Chinese characters we need to decifer that would be a good starting point.
It was a challenge. I enjoyed it though.

In conclusion, public availability of this software with a loud precaution "USE IT ON YOUR OWN RISK!"
Absolutely!! Using this software isn't as hard as some say but one must be careful not to 'clear' anything unless they save their values.

As for me doing a video, I am not sure anyone wants to see me sitting in my skivvies making repairs to a gimbal. I am planning on putting together a tutorial when I have time.

Last edited:
Reactions: h-elsner
"Must agree, find this irrelevant and not sure what benefit it will have for us that just want to fly in peace"

None. It will not help anyone who isn't looking to do their own repairs. Anyone who has piloted these babies for any amount of time knows sometimes these things fail and come crashing to the ground. Peaceful flying for me is knowing I can always fix something I may break.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval