Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The elusive calibration software

I'm looking for the bootloader of the MCU board from Typhoon H. I have some MCU boards to test different files. It would be nice to go forward and back with Thunderbird firmware and stock firmware..
I wanted to get back to you on this sooner but I haven't had much free time.
After going through the files I received, I do not see the bootloader you are looking for.
However, I sent a reply email to the guy who gave me all these files and asked him if he might have them. I am waiting for him to reply. I will let you know.
Is there a way to extract a bootloader from older boards? I do have several of the old ones sitting around.

Reactions: eprom
As I wrote before, you can investigate the GUI flasher. There probably is a security breach and you can inject your code using the presented bootloader.

BTW, what is the purpose of the separated .exe file, which you give royalty-free to us?

Is there a way to extract a bootloader from older boards? I do have several of the old ones sitting around.
Typically a microcontroller will have the bootloader embedded internally (even if the rest of the code is in an external flash chip). And this is almost always protected from read access to slow down theft of code.
As has been mentioned, try the programming software for the MCU in question and see if it has the ability to read the chip contents back. Unlikely but sometimes they allow it.

Reactions: eprom and h-elsner
No, this part of the flash memory is read.protectd by STM32 fuses. You only can delete the bootloader to flash new FW but currently we cannot go back. And no, the flashtool from GUI is not able to access to bootloader. It needs the bootloader to flash the FW.
br HE

I have had a look on this bootloader file. It is an installer for a tool. It seems to be newer version of the flash tool that is already part of the Typhoon H GUI. This shows both to compare:
bootloader_exe.png
The black one is the new one. There is a button read but I could not read or write anything. I got always Timeout.
bootloader_exe_fw.png
But it reads and detect the FW file for the Typhoon H MCU (TyphoonH-FC_V1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec as example). Only upload still not working. I couln't get it working. Possibly it's not for Typhoon H but later products, PX4 based. In this case it is good for flashing flight controller for those.

However, I think that is not what want.

br HE

Update: It is not working with Typhoon H Plus flight controller. Not even the FW file is accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: eprom
read.protectd by STM32 fuses
I gotcha now. I am going to look into this a bit deeper. You have my curiosity coming out.
I am also waiting to hear back from a guy who worked for Yuneec directly. He said he would dig through his old computer to see if he has some files I could use. **fingers crossed**

I gotcha now. I am going to look into this a bit deeper. You have my curiosity coming out.
I am also waiting to hear back from a guy who worked for Yuneec directly. He said he would dig through his old computer to see if he has some files I could use. **fingers crossed**
Hi ... any news??

For a few years now, I have been working with several former and now one current employee from Yuneec. I can't toss around any names publicly but the current employee is a person I am friends with who lives in China. He is working to get us a copy of the Y Ground Control software. He said there is an updated version of the Gimbal Set also. It may take a few more weeks but please be patient and know that we will finally get this software. As for the bootloaders, this one is difficult. Yuneec moved away from the lower line of drones and focused on more commercial areas. He said that most of the files may have been lost to time.
There has been a lot of misconception when it comes to this calibration software. Many have said Yuneec wouldn't release it to the public since the process was difficult. When I asked about this, I was told this was not true. The reason Yuneec never released the software to the public was simply to allow repair centers to profit from repairs. The software has no legal boundaries that keep anyone from sharing it. There are no trade secrets hidden within the software.
It is the same concept as automakers having a repair shop at the dealerships. To keep the customer coming back to their products.

I'm looking for the bootloader of the MCU board from Typhoon H. I have some MCU boards to test different files. It would be nice to go forward and back with Thunderbird firmware and stock firmware..
What is the brown strap from the motor to the back of the wifi board? Ground?

What part are you talking about? Camera, gimbal, MCU board, other?
From the gimbal motor to the backside of the wifi board on the CGO3P. It is a cloth-type brown strap wrapped around the motor on the right side of the camera. I will take a picture of it later and post it.

This is a shield and the aluminum sheet also serves as cooling for the WiFi chip RTL8192. Mainly this is all for shielding and yes. it is connected to ground.
Okay. I was pretty sure it was to ground static away. Thanks

BTW Did you see my other post? My friend says the CGO3+ is MAVlink v2. I am going to play around some with it and see what happens.

BTW Did you see my other post? My friend says the CGO3+ is MAVlink v2. I am going to play around some with it and see what happens.
No, it isn't. C23 an all other newer cameras are MAVlink V2. CGO3+ is also using a message format. It is recorded in sensor file in flight logs. Those files only appear if a camera is mouted. I thought it is MAVlink V1 but I failed to decode it by MAVlink V1 protocol. For me it looks like an own format based on MAV link V1.
Look at Q500log2kml manual - there is something written about that (chapter Sensor files, Page 13).
Q500log2kml can read the messages (means separate the messages from byte stream) but not decode. We don't know what is in.

br HE

He said to use MAVlink v2. I am not sure why but he says it should work. What is the difference between v1 and v2? From what I read V2 should be backwards compatible? He sent another message this morning. I asked him how to connect to the gimbal to make changes-

(Yuneec engineer)
"A convenient way to find out is to use the Python tool MAVProxy, it has the debugging facilities with which we can try to inspect the data stream send from the camera and gimbal. Simply connect your PC to the CGO WiFi and run the MAVProxy with default settings, data will be received once connected."

He actually said it is a modified version that Yuneec put together but we should be able to use it. he is going to walk me through it. I will keep posting our messages on here.

I am not familiar with MAVlink at all. Lately, I have been moving towards DJI and they don't use it. I also have a learning disability called over-my-head-i quit-idos. I get easily frustrated and give up at times. lol

Let me ask him if he minds if I introduce you to him. Your knowledge is way better than mine with MAVlink. If he doesn't mind, I will give you his email address.

I have no idea why I am working so hard on this. I fixed 4 of my CGO3P gimbals using my oscilloscope to measure the magnet's range and adjust them. I replaced one of the control boards with a new one and had no issues getting it to work. It takes time but can be done. I guess it would be nice to be able to adjust the encoder and board settings with a simple click of the mouse though.

BTW HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Last edited:
What do they mean when they say MAVlink 2 is backward compatible with 1?
I dont't know. MAVlink 1 is not kompatible with MAVlink 2 but the FC or groundstation can decide what it wants to decode using the packet start marker $FD or $FE. Maybe this is the idea.

BTW, Typhoon H has $BC as marker whatever this means followed by payload lenght, sequence number and some more fixed bytes.

br HE

Update: I found following sentence:
"The MAVLink 2.0 C/C++ and Python libraries are backwards compatible with MAVLink 1.0 (support both protocols). Version Handshaking and Negotiating Versions explain how to choose which version is used." This means that FC or ground station can handle both if they using the above mentioned libraries.

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval