Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The lens in my CGO3+ is misaligned (pics)

These bumbling guys are SUPER difficult to watch. This is killing me. But I think I'm going to do this when my camera gets back.

Last edited:
These bumbling guys are SUPER difficult to watch. This is killing me. But I think I'm going to do this when my camera gets back.
I am SUPER interested in this option as well. But can we trust that it will fix the actual problem? What are your thoughts?

I will need to return this beast tommorow without fail if I expect to get a refund or replacement. I wont hold you to it, but what would you do at this point BP?

I am SUPER interested in this option as well. But can we trust that it will fix the actual problem? What are your thoughts?

I will need to return this beast tommorow without fail if I expect to get a refund or replacement. No commitments, but what would you do at this point BP?

I honestly thought about tearing mine apart to just refocus it. Now that I see there is another lens (better one) I would do that as well. I can't believe these guys didn't show before and after pics. $140 is a good bit of money for this tiny little thing, I would need to know that its worth it.

I honestly thought about tearing mine apart to just refocus it. Now that I see there is another lens (better one) I would do that as well. I can't believe these guys didn't show before and after pics. $140 is a good bit of money for this tiny little thing, I would need to know that its worth it.
Just found this post from you-tube, copied and pasted. Yuneec KNOWS they have a problem and are going quiet for the moment. That pisses me off, but to be honest, its an argument for holding on and keeping faith. Peau is the lens guy:
"
PeauProductions1 week ago
Yuneec stopped by our office today and bought 7 of the 3.97mm lenses... so we'll see :)

Is the Phantom 3 or 4 any better? Honest question.
I have three Phantom models, all are within the Phantom 3 lineup. I have 1 x Advanced and 2 x Professionals. All of them have great cameras with excellent picture quality in all lighting conditions. Edges are not distorted and objects in distance are in perfect focus (see example - this is a freeze frame from a video clip - click on image).

PHANTOM3.jpg

I have three Phantom models, all are within the Phantom 3 lineup. I have 1 x Advanced and 2 x Professionals. All of them have great cameras when excellent picture quality in all lighting conditions. Edges are not distorted and objects in distance are in perfect focus (see example).

Looks like my CGO3.

Here's the issue about focus with a small chip size. ALL of these cameras (Gopro, DJI Yuneec) have a depth of field at f/2.8 from around 8" to infinity. so if ANYTHING is in focus in the image the lens is in focus. with the small sensor you need to have a lens that at least match the sensors performance. when you read that a lens is a 5mp lens that means that on a 5mp and lower camera the lens has sufficient resolution but if you put that lens on a higher resolution sensor the image will looks soft and mushy. The lens on the CGO3+ lacks resolution not focus

Although correct, this has nothing to do with my problem, or the problems of others in here. My lens is clearly out of focus, as you can see from my provided shots. The DOF line is easily seen at 14-18“ from the sensor (which is very acceptably sharp), then OOF to infinity. A focused lens, and a soft lens are two different things. It so happens that this is both. I would be happy to have a properly focused, soft lens. (aka, my CGO3) A lens group can not lack focus. It's either focused, or its not.

Optical physics disagrees with you. No matter I've put the lens up on a optical bench and projected the lens. It lacks resolution and has horrendous distortion across the field

I understand, and won't argue. My test shots says otherwise. What I had in focus, was perfectly acceptable.

All of them have great cameras with excellent picture quality in all lighting conditions. Edges are not distorted and objects in distance are in perfect focus
Totally agree. That shot is what I expected to see with my H. I get that color and gamma might be different, but I had no expectation of crappy focus and unproeffesional resolution. Makes me wonder about DJI. Really thought I had made the right choice with Yuneec. Not so much at the moment...

Optical physics disagrees with you. No matter I've put the lens up on a optical bench and projected the lens. It lacks resolution and has horrendous distortion across the field

Can we see some images of the CGO3+ lens on your optical test bed? Sounds interesting.....

I have seen the results of this mod. Its fantastic. When i order my H, I will already have this lens delivered to replace the std lens in the H. Its either that or go back to the P4. Its video quality i am after, I know the bird itself is great.

Such a lens, as this is, corrects such distortion & resolution by software. Unfortunately software can only do so much.

I asked this in the other lens thread, but is there a standard target we could all use to test the focus of our cameras so we all have the same test image versus taken random shots of the horizon and looking for issues? If so, it could be something we could then present to Yuneec as proof that the issue is widespread.

I don't believe it's sole the lens at play, there is also a heavy amount of in camera noise reduction going on, this is clear in the example posted on the "good" CGO3P image in post No.
OK, I've had a chance to closely examine the footage from my replacement CGO3+. It is just as bad as the first one. Since someone else already reported having 2 cameras sent to them and both defective, its safe to say this has become a BIG problem for Yuneec and for many users deciding whether to return their YTH or not.

I must say I am completely fed up and discouraged. Yuneec knows they have a problem with these cameras, but they just keep sending them out anyway. I called and asked to speak to someone who really understands the nature of the problem, they refused, the only person I could talk too was tier one customers rep had no knowledge of the problem, and insisted that they cant tell anything without seeing the footage. When I explained that this forum was FULL of samples, it didn't change the nature of the conversation at all. My only option was to send in the camera again, pushing it beyond the 30 days I'm allowed to return the unit. When I asked them if they would take a return directly in case they NEVER get it fixed they refused. And then on top of it they failed to send the the cover for the camera, so now I will be sending back an incomplete machine to the retail location.

A total mess, and my experience with Yuneec is now in the realm of BIG disappointment. There are good CGO3+ cameras out there, I've seen the footage. But for some reason they are shipping these garbage ones out at the moment.

Also, lest anyone believe that this is either acceptable or all the camera is actually capable of, here is a 3840x2160 UHD snapshot from After Effects where I staggered the shots for easy comparison. I've included the new CGO3+, the original one, a sample from someone else that is perfect, and a shot from my S6 cell phone for comparison. There is simply NO excuse for my cell phone shooting better 4K video than a $1300.00 drone (PLEASE look at this full screen on big monitor):

View attachment 1469

I don't believe it's sole the lens at play, there is also a heavy amount of in camera noise reduction going on, this is clear in the example posted on the "good" CGO3P image this post No.173.
I hope Yuneec are looking at all links in the chain not just the lens

I asked this in the other lens thread, but is there a standard target we could all use to test the focus of our cameras so we all have the same test image versus taken random shots of the horizon and looking for issues? If so, it could be something we could then present to Yuneec as proof that the issue is widespread.
Go ahead a propose one and we can see if there an opinion on it...maybe just simple radial one ?

No, there is no software running on the camera to do that. First off the processor isn't powerful enough and secondly it's better done in post which is the way that the go pro and the Phantom cameras do that. the only thing going at sensor level is a color bias adjustment
You may wish to reconsider your thought process. The camera has firmware (i.e., software stuck on a chip). All those settings you play with on the ST16 interact with the firmware. Everything is done within the camera/processor itself with the end result being a file on the micro SD.

No, there is no software running on the camera to do that. First off the processor isn't powerful enough and secondly it's better done in post which is the way that the go pro and the Phantom cameras do that. the only thing going at sensor level is a color bias adjustment

If it's the S2 processor as suspected that is installed, it actually does have a few onboard image processing abilities, it would be great if Yuneec commissioned somebody to implement some of them that actually would be useful to filming from a flying platform, like object detection or the intelligent motion tracking....even the libraries for implementing it are free.
(Note the Low Bitrate / High quality encoding) Screen Shot 2016-06-30 at 00.56.48.png

Go ahead a propose one and we can see if there an opinion on it...maybe just simple radial one ?
I don't have a photography background so I don't think I'd have a good suggestion, perhaps someone else has an idea of a test target?

just doing a google search brings up lots of examples, but I don't know what would be good for this camera....an example could be the sample target from here?
How to Test Your Lens

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop