Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The lens in my CGO3+ is misaligned (pics)

I don't have a photography background so I don't think I'd have a good suggestion, perhaps someone else has an idea of a test target?

just doing a google search brings up lots of examples, but I don't know what would be good for this camera....an example could be the sample target from here?
How to Test Your Lens

Anything with good contrast will work. A brick wall, tree, etc. You can print a target. Use a book, etc, etc. Have plenty of light, and make it repeatable. Because of the small sensor size, the depth of field is huge. You need to take shots and look at them 1:1 on a decent sized monitor.

What is the sensor size in this camera? Lens aperture? Anyone know the hyperfocal distance?

Just found this post from you-tube, copied and pasted. Yuneec KNOWS they have a problem and are going quiet for the moment. That pisses me off, but to be honest, its an argument for holding on and keeping faith. Peau is the lens guy:
"
PeauProductions1 week ago
Yuneec stopped by our office today and bought 7 of the 3.97mm lenses... so we'll see :)

I have an upgraded GoPro Hero 4 Black with the 3.97mm lens from Peau Productions and it is great. I had them swap it out, focus, etc. I did it mainly to remove fish eye, but it is a great lens. I haven't really played around with the CGO3+ yet, still just flying it. If I have an issue with the lens I will just send it into CarolinaDronz and have them swap it out. Sucks if that is the solution, but quite honestly it will be less of a headache.

Well with the comments here, this lens is probably on my horizon. Especially if I have to take the camera apart to focus the factory lens anyway. Guess I need to call Yuneec and see if my camera is coming.

Finally heard from Yuneec:

Dear valued customer ,

This message is to inform you that we have not forgotten about you. We have inspected the camera and will be sending a replacement on Tuesday when our warehouse is open again.. We are trying to service every customer as soon as possible and we hope to have you flying or riding in no time. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Have a Yuneec Day,

Yuneec Repair Team

From the date of the RMA issue, it took 25 days to hear from them about a course of action. So if they ship the camera on Tuesday, I'll probably get it the following Monday. Just shy of a month.
Then I'm guessing I'll be tearing it apart to refocus (or replace the lens) anyway.

Reactions: CAPTAINDRONE
Finally heard from Yuneec:

From the date of the RMA issue, it took 25 days to hear from them about a course of action. So if they ship the camera on Tuesday, I'll probably get it the following Monday. Just shy of a month.
Then I'm guessing I'll be tearing it apart to refocus (or replace the lens) anyway.
Better late than never! Fingers crossed that you get a camera with a great lens!

Remember too guys that the more they sell, the longer times will take for repairs and warranties. BUT I would hate to imagine where we would all be with camera issues if it was DJI we had to deal with. Thank god its Yuneec. Like I said many times before, They will sort this issue out as soon as they can. I Have ordered the aftermarket lens today. Cannot wait to do a comparison between my original camera lens and the replacement one once I get my H.

Remember too guys that the more they sell, the longer times will take for repairs and warranties. BUT I would hate to imagine where we would all be with camera issues if it was DJI we had to deal with. Thank god its Yuneec. Like I said many times before, They will sort this issue out as soon as they can. I Have ordered the aftermarket lens today. Cannot wait to do a comparison between my original camera lens and the replacement one once I get my H.
Let us know if you encounter any problems with the disassembly & install. I may be forced to go this route as well.

Between using the CGO3 on my H, and being super busy at work I missed my return window on the Typhoon 4k. (like an idiot) So I'm going to hold onto it until the H camera returns, then sell it. Sadly only flew it about 8 times, BUT the camera has seen more use.
I'm also thinking I'm going to grab that lens and swap it in. Where are you guys getting it? From the Dronez place or right from the manufacturer?

Between using the CGO3 on my H, and being super busy at work I missed my return window on the Typhoon 4k. (like an idiot) So I'm going to hold onto it until the H camera returns, then sell it. Sadly only flew it about 8 times, BUT the camera has seen more use.
I'm also thinking I'm going to grab that lens and swap it in. Where are you guys getting it? From the Dronez place or right from the manufacturer?

You have two choices at this time...

#1. Carolina Dronz. You can either purchase the lens or send in your camera and have them install it. Yuneec Typhoon H GGO3+ Camera Replacement

#2. Peau Productions. Right now you can only buy the lens from them. In the future you will be able to send in your camera and they will send you a return camera with new lens installed. Here is the email they sent me a few weeks ago:

Hello,

We are not setup yet to do the installs ourselves because we do not yet have replacement cameras if something is damaged. We believe Yuneec direct will soon have cameras in the next 30 days and we plan to purchase them so we can begin selling new cameras modded with various lenses along with servicing customers own cameras.

For now we are only setup to sell the lenses for customer install. The procedure is not very difficult if you follow the how-to video on the Yuneec lens page.

Peau Productions, Inc
Toll Free: +1 (877) 949-1684
Local: +1 (619) 554-8848
7592 Metropolitan Dr

3.97mm f/2.8 82d HFOV 16MP(No Distortion) – Peau Productions

Just an update, my camera was finally shipped out. (two days after they said they would) Its due to arrive on the 13th. So that's roughly 5 weeks I went without a camera on the YTH. (yes I was using my CGO3) When it arrives I'll be throwing it on and checking it out, I'm not super hopeful.

Also, JUST last night I picked up a Phantom 4. Haven't even unboxed it yet, that's going to be today. Honestly I always hated the way they look, never wanted to like the DJI. But owning these things for me is 90% for the camera, (I have a smaller quad for "fun") and from what I've seen in specs and actual footage/video the DJI cam and the CGO3+ just can't be compared. I still have my Typhoon 4k, and the YTH, and I do love flying the YTH. This is my first DJI product. I don't care for the remote, or having to provide a tablet/phone, but it is undeniably better in a lot of ways.

My first couple of shots this morning with the Phantom 4...

Attachments

• DJI_0014.jpg
    DJI_0014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • DJI_0025.jpg
    DJI_0025.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: banned user
But owning these things for me is 90% for the camera,
Yep. No matter how cool a drone is, if its camera is dog poop... you have dog poop.

BTW BP, at this point I have to say I LOVE my Phantom 4. Short first run video shot at 4k, rendered at 1080, color correction with Adobe Lumenetri:

I totally don't miss my crappy CGO3+ camera.

Reactions: BoostedPerspective
Yep. No matter how cool a drone is, if its camera is dog poop... you have dog poop.

BTW BP, at this point I have to say I LOVE my Phantom 4. Short first run video shot at 4k, rendered at 1080, color correction with Adobe Lumenetri:

I totally don't miss my crappy CGO3+ camera.

That is fantastic.
I *just* rendered my first DJI video, quick thing on Instagram. 4k, 24fps, d-log. Also graded with Lumetri. It was dark/sunset and it looks surprisingly good. I'm impressed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ploomy