Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

The reasons the Typhoon H is delayed

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I do not work for Yuncee, nor do I have confirmed sources within Yuncee.

So, the Typhoon H was announced some time ago and a few working production models were made. Most of the technology within the Typhoon H is just an enhanced/upgraded carry over from previous models, except for the Intel realsense. We saw it fly, we saw it avoid objects, etc.

So with all of the above said, it should have not been an issue to go from pre-production to mass production. But... not only did this not happen, but we also did not immediately receive prices/info on batteries, backpack, IPS module, Intel realsense module, software, manual.

What we did hear in late March was that DJI took exception to one Chinese company copying another Chinese company... which apparently happens often but DJI had enough (I'm sure DJI is just as guilty of copying technology as well).

Yunceec would have been appraised of the DJI patents long before the lawsuit was put into action. They knew long before the world knew.

Here is why I believe Yuneec keeps changing the shipping date of the Typhoon H:

- Firmware #1. They had to rewrite some code that applied to the camera attachment (how removing/installing camera is handled). Reason: To avoid potential and future lawsuit implications.

- Firmware #2. The Intel realsense is now a modular attachment. In the past this was not the case.... if you purchased an H it came with realsense for approx $1899. With the new $1299 price they went modular. If you look at early posts from Yuncee you'll see that there was a period where it was being stated by Yuncee reps that in order to add the realsense mod you would need to send the H back to Yuncee. Later Yuncee said it would only require a firmware upgrade. My guess is that this is another reason they recently rewrote the firmware to allow for the Intel realsense to be added or removed.

- Intel Realsense. Yuncee/Intel do not have a finished product with regards to price. My guess is that they have a price point to sell this item at and are trying to find a way to manufacture it for that price. If components are expensive then you cut costs by the way you manufacturer it. The opposite is also true. I'm also guessing that the Realsense also contains Firmware which is still being tweaked.

- Batteries - Again Yuneec had a price point to keep costs low. In order to mass produce a battery that would not increase the cost of the H, they had to go with a slow charging battery (less expensive smart chips inside)... which is now the result. The production batteries were only recently manufactured which again required a firmware rewrite.

- Backpack - This took awhile because Yuneec still had not confirmed the exact contents of the $1299 & $1899 box. Landing gear changes also required modifications to the backpack slots.

- Manual - With all features/functions not 100% completed, the manual was on hold.

So in summary, the two issues that have held up shipment of the production Typhoon H are necessary changes to avoid a lawsuit and price/production issues around the Intel realsense and other components.

Once again, the above is based on everything that has occurred since January and my knowledge of trying to create a product to match a price point.

You obviously put a lot of thought in it and I can maybe agree that firmware slowed things up, but more likely because of the lawsuit than the realsense unit. Units without realsense have be flying ever since CES...

The batteries have been modified to include a better locking mechanism and that surely had an impact but the slow charging is more a money making racket than anything else. Nobody is going to stay with one battery because it will take way to long between flights if you do. The safety spin that they are putting on it is very clever though.

It really does not matter what the delay is for, I would just like to be kept in the loop with clear communications.
I am not exactly happy about waiting as I have a CC that I need to pay interest on for something I have not even received but I would rather get something that works well out of the box than spend weeks waiting on a fix afterwards.

I can't quote this exactly but someone wrote a while back either in a Youtube video comment or in another forum that his daughter works in Silicon Valley with patent litigation and she reviewed the DJI suit and thought it was a joke. I could see that if you've got to do firmware updates anyways that you might change some things that reduce your exposure but I don't recall a mobile phone ever being delayed due to patent infringement claims and there have been many of those. Just my $.02.

Reactions: Subtle Shots
You obviously put a lot of thought in it and I can maybe agree that firmware slowed things up, but more likely because of the lawsuit than the realsense unit. Units without realsense have be flying ever since CES...

The batteries have been modified to include a better locking mechanism and that surely had an impact but the slow charging is more a money making racket than anything else. Nobody is going to stay with one battery because it will take way to long between flights if you do. The safety spin that they are putting on it is very clever though.

It really does not matter what the delay is for, I would just like to be kept in the loop with clear communications.
I am not exactly happy about waiting as I have a CC that I need to pay interest on for something I have not even received but I would rather get something that works well out of the box than spend weeks waiting on a fix afterwards.

Honestly at this stage it's anyone's guess regarding the delays. But this much remains true. Yunceec announced a ship date, yet never delivered and provided no reason. Then they provide a reason that a parent would tell a child, yet as of today, still no shipment but rather just more "expected to ship" dates. Finally, no word on the cost of the realsense or IPS Modules and certainly no word on the pro version.

Yunceec, ya got some splain'n to do.

i really do t like how this release is going. This is my first non DJI purchase. I love the specs but I'm not dropping the $$ until someone else flies it first. I did that with the P4. I was expecting a range warrior .... And it turned out to be less than my P3p. So no sale and here I am hoping that yuneec can deliver. I have no brand loyalty at all.but I do have to say this has been disappointing. I hope they get their stuff together.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Yuncee, nor do I have confirmed sources within Yuncee.

So, the Typhoon H was announced some time ago and a few working production models were made. Most of the technology within the Typhoon H is just an enhanced/upgraded carry over from previous models, except for the Intel realsense. We saw it fly, we saw it avoid objects, etc.

So with all of the above said, it should have not been an issue to go from pre-production to mass production. But... not only did this not happen, but we also did not immediately receive prices/info on batteries, backpack, IPS module, Intel realsense module, software, manual.

What we did hear in late March was that DJI took exception to one Chinese company copying another Chinese company... which apparently happens often but DJI had enough (I'm sure DJI is just as guilty of copying technology as well).

Yunceec would have been appraised of the DJI patents long before the lawsuit was put into action. They knew long before the world knew.

- Firmware #1. They had to rewrite some code that applied to the camera attachment (how removing/installing camera is handled). Reason: To avoid potential and future lawsuit implications.

- Firmware #2. The Intel realsense is now a modular attachment. In the past this was not the case.... if you purchased an H it came with realsense for approx $1899. With the new $1299 price they went modular. If you look at early posts from Yuncee you'll see that there was a period where it was being stated by Yuncee reps that in order to add the realsense mod you would need to send the H back to Yuncee. Later Yuncee said it would only require a firmware upgrade. My guess is that this is another reason they recently rewrote the firmware to allow for the Intel realsense to be added or removed.

- Intel Realsense. Yuncee/Intel do not have a finished product with regards to price. My guess is that they have a price point to sell this item at and are trying to find a way to manufacture it for that price. If components are expensive then you cut costs by the way you manufacturer it. The opposite is also true. I'm also guessing that the Realsense also contains Firmware which is still being tweaked.

- Batteries - Again Yuneec had a price point to keep costs low. In order to mass produce a battery that would not increase the cost of the H, they had to go with a slow charging battery (less expensive smart chips inside)... which is now the result. The production batteries were only recently manufactured which again required a firmware rewrite.

- Backpack - This took awhile because Yuneec still had not confirmed the exact contents of the $1299 & $1899 box. Landing gear changes also required modifications to the backpack slots.

- Manual - With all features/functions not 100% completed, the manual was on hold.

So in summary, the two issues that have held up shipment of the production Typhoon H are necessary changes to avoid a lawsuit and price/production issues around the Intel realsense and other components.

Once again, the above is based on everything that has occurred since January and my knowledge of trying to create a product to match a price point.
I agree with a lot you said,as far as copying tech that happens with. All manufactured products(autos for example) the batteries .making a slower charging battery has a lot to do with safety,drones industry has soared. And they need to be powered by consumer safe product,Yuneec doesn't want an issue like the hover boards.Yuneec unwisely hurried up their sales pitch of the H in order to combat the P4,it's been confusing as **** but they seemed to overwhelmed with orders,but the H is here in stock at Carolina Dronz.cant get it till May 13.

The real sense mod has been puzzling,the Capt is right on this subject,I Yuneec is ok cause the sonic avoidance system on the H works good,The dealer where I trade has been fortunate to get to fly it at CES and it's the real deal.

Hey Capt.Maybe the release delay for the H maybe in part because hundreds of thousands of DJI owners have all ordered an H so they can have the bomb?

Hey Capt.Maybe the release delay for the H maybe in part because hundreds of thousands of DJI owners have all ordered an H so they can have the bomb?

I look at the Typhoon H as a "poor man's DJI Inspire". If you're a DJI fan and can't afford an Inspire then the Typhoon H is the next best thing, so you may be right.

I look at the Typhoon H as a "poor man's DJI Inspire". If you're a DJI fan and can't afford an Inspire then the Typhoon H is the next best thing, so you may be right.
I am not rich, and definitely not poor !, But you guys are correct about that, except one of the main reason besides retractable landing gear to get the blades out of front filming vids, is I wanted a hextacopter, mainly for the improved stability ! And I am real tired of looking at the same ole Phantom white, cross shaped body year after year

I don't think DJI has any basis for their lawsuits; they are simply patent trolling.

Honestly at this stage it's anyone's guess regarding the delays. But this much remains true. Yunceec announced a ship date, yet never delivered and provided no reason. Then they provide a reason that a parent would tell a child, yet as of today, still no shipment but rather just more "expected to ship" dates. Finally, no word on the cost of the realsense or IPS Modules and certainly no word on the pro version.

Yunceec, ya got some splain'n to do.

About the realsense module ...
This is a Intel product and the versions they shipped (intel) are only devkit's
About the Real Sense Air module i read somewhere second half of this year

/\/\ax2206

dont forget they made late changes to the landing gear, retracts, and what looks like a sneaky camera change as the original fov was 115 degrees and its now 98 degrees which may explain why some chinese videos were removed a few weeks ago that showed horrid distortion when panning

just the conspiracy theorist in me talking of course :D

I still say fly your Q500 4K and wait for the H-2. You know they'll put one out after all of this H business is done. Just my $.03

I work in marketing for an outdoor sporting good company. Right now everyone is working on the 2017 products. The trade show season starts in a few months so we have to have all the new models ready for the shows. The thing is the new models don't go into production until Fall. Pretty much everything the public sees at trade shows is pre-production prototypes. We try to be as accurate as possible with features and delivery dates but the truth is there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

For example I can't layout the box art until I have the final photos. I can't take the photos until I have the product. But the product doesn't come out until Fall and I need to have the boxes done by then so everything can ship. Same thing with manuals. I have to write a manual on a product I don't even have. I have to create illustrations and take detailed photos of something that doesn't even exist yet. Then everything has to be translated into multiple languages. There is no way I can possibly explain how hard this is.

Compliance is the worst. Everything has to go through safety inspections and pass multiple certifications. USA and Europe have different compliance standards and some countries are worse than others. All it takes is one country to screw up your entire European distribution. I don't want to go into details but I've seen products ready to go but can't ship because we weren't compliant over some stupid little detail in the instructions. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to get something that flies, with sharp, spinning blades, through compliance. How do you say, "Are you F#$%$ kidding me" in French...

I've seen the managers of large companies pull dates out of their *** with no regard to whether or not they can actually hit them or not. Then everyone works non-stop, 24/7 to make it happen but everyone is so rushed little will be missed. With software it's not that big of deal because you can always issue a firmware upgrade. Hardware is different though. A recall could bankrupt your company. Lawsuits could bury you.

So I guess what I'm saying is cut the guys some slack. They're trying to do things that's never been done before. Sometimes they may have to make tough decisions like deciding to delay shipping until they fix a bug. Think of it as a business decision that in the long-run will benefit both you and the manufacture.

What you say is true, but most vendors will build time into the launch to handle theses things. So when a manufacturer sets an expectation and cannot meet that expectation they need to over communicate especially to the people that sell their equipment. Nothing worse than a buyer calling a vendor and they have no idea what is going on. They make up s....tuff to get the customer our of their hair and that is even worse.
It is also almost summer and this is when we want to fly our craft, I live in the north and winter is better appreciated with a warm cup of coffee/hot chocolate. Oh and batteries hate the extreme cold so very limited flying.
I am holding on for my H but I just wish the process was more transparent.

I work in marketing for an outdoor sporting good company. Right now everyone is working on the 2017 products. The trade show season starts in a few months so we have to have all the new models ready for the shows. The thing is the new models don't go into production until Fall. Pretty much everything the public sees at trade shows is pre-production prototypes. We try to be as accurate as possible with features and delivery dates but the truth is there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

For example I can't layout the box art until I have the final photos. I can't take the photos until I have the product. But the product doesn't come out until Fall and I need to have the boxes done by then so everything can ship. Same thing with manuals. I have to write a manual on a product I don't even have. I have to create illustrations and take detailed photos of something that doesn't even exist yet. Then everything has to be translated into multiple languages. There is no way I can possibly explain how hard this is.

Compliance is the worst. Everything has to go through safety inspections and pass multiple certifications. USA and Europe have different compliance standards and some countries are worse than others. All it takes is one country to screw up your entire European distribution. I don't want to go into details but I've seen products ready to go but can't ship because we weren't compliant over some stupid little detail in the instructions. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to get something that flies, with sharp, spinning blades, through compliance. How do you say, "Are you F#$%$ kidding me" in French...

I've seen the managers of large companies pull dates out of their *** with no regard to whether or not they can actually hit them or not. Then everyone works non-stop, 24/7 to make it happen but everyone is so rushed little will be missed. With software it's not that big of deal because you can always issue a firmware upgrade. Hardware is different though. A recall could bankrupt your company. Lawsuits could bury you.

So I guess what I'm saying is cut the guys some slack. They're trying to do things that's never been done before. Sometimes they may have to make tough decisions like deciding to delay shipping until they fix a bug. Think of it as a business decision that in the long-run will benefit both you and the manufacture.
You said it Oregon. You hit the nail on the head.

Yes Oregondrone you state a mouthful clearly and concisely and with obvious experience. The waiting game we are playing does not even consider the R & D, marketing, compliance and conformance programs undertaken just to get the first one of any product on the market. Conformance with H & S will grind us to a halt globally eventually. Here in New Zealand our painters and decorators have to wear hard hats on the job now!

I'll wait for them to get it right and I have enough to do not to complain

Remember "Chinese Fire Drill". I think that explains what is going on.

See at 38 second mark ("Is it supposed to take this long?")

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval