Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

This Smile is Making My Face Hurt!

Reaction score
First flight with the Typhoon H today. Did all of the calibrations and removed the camera.

Not really sure why I was so scared. Maybe I read too many horror stories. I read the book and watched a lot of videos from Jeff and the Captain. I printed out a checklist and checked it twice. Pressed the red button and she started up. Started my ascent and I WAS FLYING!

Did not go over a hundred feet nor did I let it get over a hundred feet away. I tried lots of different maneuvers and everything went just as planned. I am so glad that I bought this. I can't wait to start taking videos and photos!

I do have a couple of questions. First is marking the aircraft. For today I wrote my name, phone number, and "reward if found" on a piece of paper and taped it to the leg. Sure would like a more professional looking solution. Also if I get my part 107 will the aircraft have to have numbers?

The other question is about no fly zones. I have an airport 4.9 miles from my house. It has a grass runway and is used by the local sky diving club on nice days. Other days, such as today, no one is there. Should I try to call them every time I fly? Of course today no one was there so I got an answering machine.

Many thanks to everyone on the forum who answered newbie questions and gave helpful suggestions along this journey. I am sure that is smile will be a little less noticeable once I get used to all of this fun!

Reactions: Gunit
Congrats on the first sortie. If/when you get your part 107, each aircraft flown for business will have to be registered separately and will have a unique number. You should at some point get in touch with whoever operates the airfield and give them your location and tell them what activities you are doing and see what they say. It really is going to depend on the type of airspace your in. You can also download any number of apps for determining if its safe to fly at your specific location. I use a couple such as Verifly and Drone Buddy, but there are many more.

Thanks Ty Pilot. Apple guy, umm. Android here. I did download an app called Airmap. It shows the airfield and says that I should call. I will keep trying to call them and feel them out. I will also get a name and what they said, just to cover myself. I know when they fly because they have a very distinct sounding plane that labors hard as they are trying to gain altitude as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
You do not need to register you H until you get your 107 and use it for business. Registration is $5. That registration # then must be attached to you H. Mine is on top. If you are not using it for business but want the registration (which I suggest) you still pay $5.

Reactions: rdonson
Congrats, Bob!

I have some apps on my iPhone that I use that may also available for Android.

- Hover
- B4UFly FAA
- UAVForecast

The FAA app isn’t that great but I still keep it.

Ron

Bob,
I use android and use:
B4UFly - Rarely shows anything for my area.
UAV Forecast
Kittyhawk - The only one that points out our local power generating *** as No Fly.
Verifly - Insurance

Kittyhawk pulls info from Airmap:
AirMap Sample.jpg

Congrats Bob:
I bought my first Yuneec in 2015 and now have four.

As a owner of a FAA charted airport (grass airstrip) I would want any drone pilot to contact me prior to flying a drone. It builds goodwill and builds relationships with people whom we share the skies with. You should be able to find the contact info through some, but not all of the apps. If you can’t, go to airnav.com and you can find all the info you need.

I made small circular decals through “makestickers.com” having my contact info. They look very professional and I think they add some authenticity and legitimacy to the guy or gal who owns the drone.

As an aircraft pilot (trained at age 12 with my dad, a former instructor pilot with the Army Air Corp) I learned early the phrase “communicate your intentions” and how important it is in regard to safety. You can never go wrong, being on the “right” side and it helps us who enjoy this as a hobby or a profession to keep other folks informed. And it’s critical that you work with skydivers and know when they are active.

Best of luck to you and “blue skies”.

I did finally talk with someone at the sky diving club. We had a long conversation and he was very friendly.

On my second flight I attached the camera. WOW, what a difference. I was excited to get home and look at them. But after putting the card in my computer, no joy!

Did some research and doubted myself about shutting the recording off. So I started everything up, took a short video, shut it all down and tried again. Still no joy.

Tried another card in the computer and it worked fine. I then got another adapter and inserted the H card in there and there it was! The photos and videos were incredible. Still have some learning to do, but this is going to be a fantastic adventure!

Reactions: rdonson
You do not need to register you H until you get your 107 and use it for business. Registration is $5. That registration # then must be attached to you H. Mine is on top. If you are not using it for business but want the registration (which I suggest) you still pay $5.

They reversed that decision. All need to register now. It’s only 5 bucks.

ed8c4c428d475a83b4ef69060d5a9043.jpg

Thanks nicholas! That is pretty much what he said. He also told me that they would never be below 400 feet where I fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Picture The Stars