Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

to smart for its own good ??

Reaction score
so i tried my first test flight today and i am not sure what its called but the safety that keeps the unit from flying in to the pilot on the ground all most made me crash today

i need to know how to turn this off / or if it can be or edit it to a smaller number ..

craft has the newer update before flight .. think 1.07 some thing like that
controller/trans says it was up to date .. i did not do any updates here

some on what happen

i was at 60feet up or so and when trying to fly over or next to me the craft would stop and move away
what started to go wrong is i was facing me and one input was backwards as i would have to tell the craft to fly away from me to get it to fly to me and after fighting with it for 2 mins i had to go to come home land mode

it seemed the GPS was telling the craft i was standing some where i was not and no matter what i did it would keep trying to fly away in tell i told it to fly away and it would soon move back but as soon as i stop the input it would try to fly away again out of view

as soon as land me mode was 3 feet off the ground i turned it off and the rest of the flight for 8 mins was with out err

i looked at the onbord video and ground video i was facing me and i was not in err

i have been flying AC airplane and RC craft all the way back to 1994 so this was not a newbie err nor was it a err as when a RC craft is flying at you that some inputs need to be backward

i well look at the video to see what the LEDs light where saying but i am sure it still had GPS lock

It sounds like you were flying in smart mode. Smart mode has a buffer zone of approx 26 feet and won't allow you to fly your Q close to you. You also need to read about takeoff also as you can do serious damage to someone or something if you don't have proper distance away from the Q. Smart mode also responds and flies differently than angle mode. Read and research about the controls and the different flight modes for your safety and others.

Reactions: Timothy Smalley
It sounds like you were flying in smart mode. Smart mode has a buffer zone of approx 26 feet and won't allow you to fly your Q close to you. You also need to read about takeoff also as you can do serious damage to someone or something if you don't have proper distance away from the Q. Smart mode also responds and flies differently than angle mode. Read and research about the controls and the different flight modes for your safety and others.

i think you 100% miss under stand what i was trying to say

yes giving it was fight number one for the Q its self i left it in smart mode in tell the err
if the zone is like a large trash can then yes i was in the 26 feet zone but not by much and the err still was going on well out side the 26f zone
BUT i was around 60 feet high and feel i was not in any danger and if the zone only goes 26f high then i was never in the zone

this seemed like some type of system err and swapped the J3 inputs only

this post is for the tech guys

unit is new out of the box

build number st10=v01b24c what came on the trans
hardware V P1.4
trasmitter v st10_rc_appv00.00b31
radio ver sr24_transmitter_rf_v01.02

drone was running the newest update off website before flight Q500_v1.07_09_28_2015.bin and did not fly on older ver

gopro 4 4K

this is to document a reversal of input with flying in to /?/ buffer zone and input stays that way in tell mode switch is moved from smart to home and back to smart

2ed the reversal still let me fly all the way back to me tell feet away well over head so i am not sure if the zone was working a

3ed it ever stopped even 26 feet way it was still trying to move away so this still happen well out of the zone

bshaker to me reversal of input is more dangers then turning off the zone to me and trust me your not going to get this thing off the ground with a gopor with out research

video from ground i cant see what lights where flashing or on as it was from a cell phone

not sure if this is a system err or if the newer update and older ver on trans could have did this

did not fly again after this err to make sure

Last edited:
You were in smart mode, there are a couple of things to remember, #1 there is a geo fence, the default is 300ft radius from controller, that will be the limit, but it can be reset using the GUI. #2 in smart mode the craft will not get closer than 26ft to the controller. #3 the craft will always follow the controls as if it were facing away from you, regardless of which way it actually facing. so the controls will never be "backwards". Basically in smart mode the actual orientation of the craft doesn't matter, only the relationship to the controller is taken in to account. #4 and this is a safety issue, NEVER launch the craft in smart mode if you are standing within 26 ft, the Q can take off and fly right at you as it tries to distance itself from the controller.

Smart mode should be used for inexperienced pilots, or if you want to use "follow/watch me" modes. Otherwise "angle" should be the mode of choice. also there are 4 configurations for the controls, mode 2 is default.

Bshaker was correct in his answer. But didn't elaborate when he stated "Smart mode also responds and flies differently than angle mode."

I hope you find this helpful, Your Q seems to be working properly, unfortunately Yuneec doesnt do a great job when it comes to instructions. It comes with just a quick start guide at best. There is a more detailed instruction book you can download. http://www.yuneec.com/download/manuals/typhoon_q500plus_user_manual_v2.0.pdf

You were in smart mode, there are a couple of things to remember, #1 there is a geo fence, the default is 300ft radius from controller, that will be the limit, but it can be reset using the GUI. #2 in smart mode the craft will not get closer than 26ft to the controller. #3 the craft will always follow the controls as if it were facing away from you, regardless of which way it actually facing. so the controls will never be "backwards". Basically in smart mode the actual orientation of the craft doesn't matter, only the relationship to the controller is taken in to account. #4 and this is a safety issue, NEVER launch the craft in smart mode if you are standing within 26 ft, the Q can take off and fly right at you as it tries to distance itself from the controller.

Smart mode should be used for inexperienced pilots, or if you want to use "follow/watch me" modes. Otherwise "angle" should be the mode of choice. also there are 4 configurations for the controls, mode 2 is default.

Bshaker was correct in his answer. But didn't elaborate when he stated "Smart mode also responds and flies differently than angle mode."

I hope you find this helpful, Your Q seems to be working properly, unfortunately Yuneec doesnt do a great job when it comes to instructions. It comes with just a quick start guide at best. There is a more detailed instruction book you can download. http://www.yuneec.com/download/manuals/typhoon_q500plus_user_manual_v2.0.pdf

that was alot more help so thank you john .. i guess bshaker has not owned this unit and seen its paper work is not much help

now i can under stand why i had to input the way i did so i guess they never would think a pro would try to fly in newbie mode LOL and so that f me all up when it did that and that was very upsetting to know how to fly and so at take off i moved away and up to 60f or more and looked back at my self flying line of sight and it to keep flying the way it did i under stand now

and yes the paper work that came with the unit was trash and so i did look it up and seen alot of videos and still there is not much instructions out there

the PDF is for the 2.0 v wight i have the black / g newer unit so i am sure alot of it is still the same but still do you have a link for the newer typhoon that i have
i think i well look at the website as truth be told when i seen the link for paper work i was thinking it was just the same thing that came in the box

but there is still one thing that still gets me ... i stopped all input when it started and to look at the Q to make sure the way i was facing but it still at all times still tryed to move away from me at the same speed at all times well out side of the 26f zone this moving away is what started the inputs to move the Q back

i well have to look at angle mode some more as from what small info i seen it was to do tracking mode only

1 other thing you should do is calibrate motors and run thru settings in the GUI. And finally calibrate the compass in an open field. You can download proper manual (they are all pretty much the same) from yuneec.coms support menu.

And in Bshakers defense, he may have assumed that you had the proper manual and had already gone thru it. But his original evaluation of the problem was correct.

Glad to be of help to you.

1 other thing you should do is calibrate motors and run thru settings in the GUI. And finally calibrate the compass in an open field. You can download proper manual (they are all pretty much the same) from yuneec.coms support menu.

And in Bshakers defense, he may have assumed that you had the proper manual and had already gone thru it. But his original evaluation of the problem was correct.

Glad to be of help to you.
Thanks John for having my back. I only respond to post being under the impression that folks have done their homework before turning one of these on as they don't realize the serious damage they can cause. Most post of people crashing almost 99.9% come from those who took it out of the box, charged it up, turned it on, and flew it without looking at the instructions.

The last time I explained in detail about what I thought the problem the person was having I was somewhat accused of being a SMART@SS! as I was not. I only responded and didn't go into detail because terry735001 said and I quote "i have been flying AC airplane and RC craft all the way back to 1994 so this was not a newbie err nor was it a err as when a RC craft is flying at you that some inputs need to be backward"

And so terry735001 I hope you understand now why I responded to your post the way I did. The Yuneec Pilots community are only here to help all Yuneec newbies become experienced pilots with their Q. As I'm not a newbie, and I've had air4c1 (my drones name) for over 6 mths now. With the government trying to get involved we don't need to give them a reason to get more involved. Most of the information that I pass on is from experience. Yes I've crashed, broken props...but it only took 1 time for me to understand that maybe I need to crawl before I walk.

terry735001 my suggestion is to go to an open field, take your Q out of Smart mode, and learn how to fly in angle mode. Take it slow and learn to fly using the monitor. Only use the home mode if your Q is out of line of sight, and once you gain line of sight, put it back in angle mode and take control of your Q. learn to land it yourself and not use the home mode because I've seen it flip and break props in home mode.

I'm always here to help.......Safe flying!!

Reactions: John K. Fitzgerald
Thanks John for having my back. I only respond to post being under the impression that folks have done their homework before turning one of these on as they don't realize the serious damage they can cause. Most post of people crashing almost 99.9% come from those who took it out of the box, charged it up, turned it on, and flew it without looking at the instructions.

The last time I explained in detail about what I thought the problem the person was having I was somewhat accused of being a SMART@SS! as I was not. I only responded and didn't go into detail because terry735001 said and I quote "i have been flying AC airplane and RC craft all the way back to 1994 so this was not a newbie err nor was it a err as when a RC craft is flying at you that some inputs need to be backward"

And so terry735001 I hope you understand now why I responded to your post the way I did. The Yuneec Pilots community are only here to help all Yuneec newbies become experienced pilots with their Q. As I'm not a newbie, and I've had air4c1 (my drones name) for over 6 mths now. With the government trying to get involved we don't need to give them a reason to get more involved. Most of the information that I pass on is from experience. Yes I've crashed, broken props...but it only took 1 time for me to understand that maybe I need to crawl before I walk.

terry735001 my suggestion is to go to an open field, take your Q out of Smart mode, and learn how to fly in angle mode. Take it slow and learn to fly using the monitor. Only use the home mode if your Q is out of line of sight, and once you gain line of sight, put it back in angle mode and take control of your Q. learn to land it yourself and not use the home mode because I've seen it flip and break props in home mode.

I'm always here to help.......Safe flying!!

Ok so more back ground on whats going on

So i got my Q from bestbuy and to find out i guess some wanted to have a look at it or try to fly it in the store .. as happens alot in your local hobby shops

There was some < paper work > and parts missing that should have came with it

With out some of the paper work i happen to get lost on a hand full of videos about angle mode as being cam lock or follow me mode and no one any where said in any videos where smart mode would fly the way it did

I did spend a hole day looking into and updating the Q OS and every thing befor flight 1 and as soon as i found some thing in err i did not fly it again in tell i found the right info

I have flown RC airplanes from small to as big as 10feet 3 and push the 55lbs max weight for the faa max
Then i moved on to a rc 14 lbs jet turbine wiled cat
Then to a rc helicopters
Then to real aircraft like a RV9 and RV12 and helped make a few out at X49 in mulberry FL
But i am now new to drones

And i can say today i made a 20 min flight with the Q and got some good 4K video at the beach

bshaker at first you did sound like one of the stander damage trolls and i gave my back ground on past RC in post one so some would under stand it was not a newbie err that i was getting what i did not know was a err in flight that was really ok

PS there are many rc helicopters kits and planes that never come with any paper work as if your getting some thing this high tech you should know what your doing

I have had similar experiences easiest solution is to take off & land in angle mode or switch to angle mode when flying close to you. Smart mode will do some funny things when close to you but its excellent when you are a distance away from quad as dont have to worry about what direction nose is pointing. You can switch modes on the fly control is instant. I have found out the hard way to switch to angle when flying back toward me when its about 50 ft away.

As a test yesterday, I tried taking off when the Typhoon was in Return to Home mode, and it would not launch - just beeped at me. They probably changed the firmware, so you can't launch the aircraft in Return to Home mode.

There's a video of someone slicing his fingers after standing next to his drone and launching it in RTH mode. I don't think this can happen anymore with the latest firmware.

As a test yesterday, I tried taking off when the Typhoon was in Return to Home mode, and it would not launch - just beeped at me. They probably changed the firmware, so you can't launch the aircraft in Return to Home mode.

There's a video of someone slicing his fingers after standing next to his drone and launching it in RTH mode. I don't think this can happen anymore with the latest firmware.

As far as I know, you could never launch in RTH mode, RTH will land the craft and then cut the motors, once home the motors will not restart until you switch to either angle mode or smart mode. the video you speak of was launched in "smart mode" and the controller was within about 10 ft. from the Q. The Q will try and distance itself (26 ft +) from the controller, in this case it couldnt tell exactly where the controller was and flew straight toward it. This is still a serious issue and hopefully it will be addressed in the next update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval