Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Toilet bowling, drifting and rushing about

Reaction score
Hi!
Does any one have a good advice for my 2-weeks old H smart sence, how to make it steady?
I have done all the calibratings, updatings and pairings 3-4 times in a most perfect way by the instructions of the re-seller here in Finland. It keeps drifting and toilet bowling. Fortunately i got it down in one piece though it´s still rushing about with full speed, refusing to stop rotors... Terrible piece of a nightmare because i need this thing for my business... :(
TJ

Reactions: Twowingers
If you've done all the calibrations multiple times in different locations and it still does this, you may have a problem with your compass board. If thats the case you'll need to send it in.

My first H would toilet bowl (You can search my posts and find a video I took with my GoPro), J-hook, drift, and lose altitude. Mine did this from day one. Nothing fixed it. I wound up returning it.

Hi!
Does any one have a good advice for my 2-weeks old H smart sence, how to make it steady?
I have done all the calibratings, updatings and pairings 3-4 times in a most perfect way by the instructions of the re-seller here in Finland. It keeps drifting and toilet bowling. Fortunately i got it down in one piece though it´s still rushing about with full speed, refusing to stop rotors... Terrible piece of a nightmare because i need this thing for my business... :(
TJ

Hi!
TJ
You're lucky you haven't crashed it at speed. My Typhoon H with RealSense, too got discalibrated midflight (and it required like 5 times to calibrate before the flight until I got "green light").
There is something fishy with all these Typhoon H w/RealSense in Europe. Like 3rd or 4th Typhoon H crashed under similar circumstances for the past 5 days.
In my opinion, Europeans should be careful with their Typhoon Hs (especially ones who happen to own the one with RealSense).
BTW, have you bought your drone from Estonia (droon.ee or Meridein OU)?
BTW No.2: You will have tough luck getting the guarantee or refund from Yuneec Europe. Their CS office is even less responsive than the discalibrated Typhoon H.

Last edited:
They replaced my gps board when it came out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPS/Compass board of the Typhoon H is probably the culprit of recent crashes here in Europe.

There was a post here in Yuneec forums that Kp (geomagnetic field distortion index) index was elevated (normal Kp =4, and the last week it ranged from 5 to 7).
And recent crashes happened to those owners who happen to live in northern latitudes (ie. Finland, Lithuania, Russia) where these fluctuations have more influence than near the Equator.
Can somebody confirm/deny this hypothesis?

Let´s see what they can do at the local dealer´s service. I know they try their best but if this H-model is a piece of s****, what can one do?:confused: Holy Cow!

I've also had similar problems with my H. Unfortunately mine crashed after flying full speed into a tree without me touching any of the controls. This thing would be fantastic for business if only it was a bit more reliable. Good luck with your drone!

I've also had similar problems with my H. Unfortunately mine crashed after flying full speed into a tree without me touching any of the controls. This thing would be fantastic for business if only it was a bit more reliable. Good luck with your drone!
Contact Yuneec customer service. They will take care of you. Much better than DJI.

Contact Yuneec customer service. They will take care of you. Much better than DJI.
Well, I am going to buy a new dji Mavic pro today. Let´s see how is it with that one. I m really scared to take that H up even they promised to repair it at the service. I am afraid that it´s not going to be a reliable equippement.

Well, I am going to buy a new dji Mavic pro today. Let´s see how is it with that one. I m really scared to take that H up even they promised to repair it at the service. I am afraid that it´s not going to be a reliable equippement.
So, you are going to buy something completely untested from a company with horrible service? Good luck with that.

When I get my H smartsence back from the service, which is very respectful and polite here in Finland, I can at least compare those two with an objective mind...
Good luck is needed anyway ;) I hope they both shall help me with my business...

When I get my H smartsence back from the service, which is very respectful and polite here in Finland, I can at least compare those two with an objective mind...
Good luck is needed anyway ;) I hope they both shall help me with my business...

Comparing apples and oranges is a difficult thing to do. They are not in the same class. My H works perfectly and has from day one, causing me to like it very much.

Unfortunately we are dealing with a hobby level aircraft that was awarded the term "consumer drone" as a means to promote greater sales volume. In truth every MR priced less than $10k is hobby level because none of the components used to assemble them are in any way certified, have zero published documentation referencing min/max performance levels, are made by the lowest bidder, and assembled by companies with no AS9100 policies. Many of the components used may be faulty and only discovered after they have been in an operational state for an unknown period of time. This is applicable to all hobby/"consumer" drone manufacturers. We are not buying certified aircraft and should not be under some illusion that we are. For the most part our highly sophisticated, self flying camera drones cost half or less than a 35% RC airplane yet we think our drones should be as well manufactured and precise as an A320 or 757.

When people have an issue that does not resolve after reading and following published instructions their first course of action should be to contact the customer service department of the company the made the product. For some reason they run to forums such as this one thinking their questions will be answered and resolved by system experts. Posting in places like this is good for general conversational purposes but the fact is, if you have followed directions to the letter the only fix you will obtain is with customer service.

At least in the U.S., Yuneec C.S. has been very good at dealing with customer issues and correcting, repairing, replacing aircraft that demonstrate deficiencies. They've even taken care of customers where fault lay with the customer. As an example I damaged the ribbon flex on a CGO-3 camera during reassembly, something I should not have disassembled to begin with and something you cannot repair yourself. A call to Yuneec about possible repair had an RMA in my in box within 10 minutes of placing the call. It was my fault, they were made aware it was my fault, yet they said "send it".

It makes a lot more sense to me to let the real experts deal with a problem than to go online and ***** about the same thing over and over and over. Doesn't matter who makes it, resolution will be found with their customer service department, if they have a responsive CS unit. Yuneec does.

Comparing apples and oranges is a difficult thing to do. They are not in the same class. My H works perfectly and has from day one, causing me to like it very much.

Unfortunately we are dealing with a hobby level aircraft that was awarded the term "consumer drone" as a means to promote greater sales volume. In truth every MR priced less than $10k is hobby level because none of the components used to assemble them are in any way certified, have zero published documentation referencing min/max performance levels, are made by the lowest bidder, and assembled by companies with no AS9100 policies. Many of the components used may be faulty and only discovered after they have been in an operational state for an unknown period of time. This is applicable to all hobby/"consumer" drone manufacturers. We are not buying certified aircraft and should not be under some illusion that we are. For the most part our highly sophisticated, self flying camera drones cost half or less than a 35% RC airplane yet we think our drones should be as well manufactured and precise as an A320 or 757.

When people have an issue that does not resolve after reading and following published instructions their first course of action should be to contact the customer service department of the company the made the product. For some reason they run to forums such as this one thinking their questions will be answered and resolved by system experts. Posting in places like this is good for general conversational purposes but the fact is, if you have followed directions to the letter the only fix you will obtain is with customer service.

At least in the U.S., Yuneec C.S. has been very good at dealing with customer issues and correcting, repairing, replacing aircraft that demonstrate deficiencies. They've even taken care of customers where fault lay with the customer. As an example I damaged the ribbon flex on a CGO-3 camera during reassembly, something I should not have disassembled to begin with and something you cannot repair yourself. A call to Yuneec about possible repair had an RMA in my in box within 10 minutes of placing the call. It was my fault, they were made aware it was my fault, yet they said "send it".

It makes a lot more sense to me to let the real experts deal with a problem than to go online and ***** about the same thing over and over and over. Doesn't matter who makes it, resolution will be found with their customer service department, if they have a responsive CS unit. Yuneec does.

Hi!
I agree indeed. Yet I was expecting my H to be some how a bit more reliable and high quality product. And it might prove to be one as well, as soon as I get it back from the CS. For me, who shoots aerial videos for short advertisements at day light, these kind of hobby drones are "High tech". No money and no need for €10k drones, at least yet. Thank you for your intelligent comment, PatR :)

I have the same hopes you do and also a commercial operator. It's difficult having to deal with "tools" that at times can be like Forrest Gump's "box of chocolates".

Hi! I got my SmartSence back with new compass platform and latest updates from week 44. After several test flights, my H seemes to be reliable, steady and in control...
It took 4-weeks to service it, but was worth waiting. Let´s see how it flies in next weeks video sessions ;)

Best advice I have for people that have calibrated their H accelerometers. Don't move it after you power it up to fly it. I believe a lot of people induce drift problems without realizing they are doing it.

I read of people that want to rush the boot process so they (1) push the power button before it's on the ground, (2) push to power button before raising the arms, (3) put it on the ground, push the button, and move it to the launch location while it boots, etc.

Any movement while it boots negates the ability of the accelerometers to "zero" during the boot process. Zeroing is absolutely mandatory before initiating flight and it only happens immediately after power up or during the forced calibration process. It's very much a mini self calibration process. The H must be perfectly still. If it is disturbed you should anticipate drift or other stability issues.

Reactions: RiverRunner
Best advice I have for people that have calibrated their H accelerometers. Don't move it after you power it up to fly it. I believe a lot of people induce drift problems without realizing they are doing it.

I read of people that want to rush the boot process so they (1) push the power button before it's on the ground, (2) push to power button before raising the arms, (3) put it on the ground, push the button, and move it to the launch location while it boots, etc.

Any movement while it boots negates the ability of the accelerometers to "zero" during the boot process. Zeroing is absolutely mandatory before initiating flight and it only happens immediately after power up or during the forced calibration process. It's very much a mini self calibration process. The H must be perfectly still. If it is disturbed you should anticipate drift or other stability issues.

Hi!
I got same kind of instructions from the local dealer. After a solid calibration and a 30-60sec. hovering in few meters altitude before "take off" shall tell you if it´s starting to toilet bowl. If so, take the drone down immediately and calibrate it in a proper way. I always have a compass with me and I calibrate the drone starting with my nose pointing to the north... I have a feeling that with these instructions my H is going to stay steady for now on...

If performing a post take off hover test, do it at least 6 feet above the ground to be clear of turbulence between the propellers and the ground. 10 feet would be better. Doing a hover test close to the ground induces instability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stone