Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H and airlines

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am sure that most all of you are aware that one of the downsides to the H is transporting onboard and aircraft. Sadly it has become just too large to qualify for today's norms of what constitutes carry-on luggage. So if it doesn't go in the hold, it's not going at all. Few of us want to take the risk of checking the standard typhoon backpack as hold luggage. Many people, therefore, go to the expense of buying a pelican-case and traveling that way. Pelican-cases, while built like a tank, have a weight to match. So before you even include the drone, you have used up a good chunk of your hold baggage allowance. When arriving at your destination, the wheels under the Peli-Case make for easy transport. Sadly there are often of little value when hiking out to the perfect spot to get those fabulous aerial drone shots. Too bad you don't have the backpack.

In other words, for me, the Peli-Case was too heavy, too expensive and limited me in transporting my drone after the flight. Consequently, I have been searching the internet for a while trying to find a case to suit my needs. I have seen quite a few of those plywood cases with the aluminum sheeting on the outside, but though much cheaper they are still heavy and non-transportable after arrival.

Then by chance, I came across some cases for musical/concert equipment. They have a large aluminum sealed case for a decent price (under $100). The case itself weighs only 4.1 kg. This is a third the weight of the Peli-Case I was looking at. Secondly, the entire backpack fits snugly into the case with a bit of extra room at the top for any extras you may wish to bring along. This, of course, saves the problem of transport at the destination. Given, the downside is that the case is going to get the odd ding and dent here and there so I don't expect it to be looking brand new after three or four flights. But the extra layer of protection is bound to be enough to keep my typhoon safe and sound. And if the dents do get on my nerves I imagine it will not be too hard to knock them out to a reasonable level of satisfaction.IMG_20180810_191252.jpgIMG_20180810_191131.jpg

Reactions: MarkC
Where airline baggage is concerned I don’t believe there is anything made that will prevent damage caused by baggage handlers. We flip a coin every time something of ours gets thrown into the cargo hold. One airline destroyed a near priceless cello the other day that was packed in a very well labeled, custom made hard case.

Reactions: MarkC
It’s pricey but it might be worthwhile to FedEx a Pelican case with an H in it. I know photographers who do this for paying gigs especially when it includes a lot of gear. They ship their gear to their hotel.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I would never check-in my UAV, not only because of the damage but also because, at least here in MX, there's been several cases where people have been plainly ripped off their valuables by baggage handlers (ipads, phones, laptops, jewelry). And all the airlines have to say is "We are not responsible because baggage is handled by a different company, by flying with us you are agreeing that we will not be held responsible" (a big FU to passengers, but what can we do..)

Anyway, I found a small bag on Office Depot that has ever since been my official carry-on bag for my typhoon H.

20180714_160239_1.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Brand/Model: TRAVEL TIME WL-3021

I've looked around online and cannot find the exact model, but it's very similar in size to this one: Carry-On Bag With 15" Laptop Pocket, Black (16 1/2"H x 12"W x 8"D )

The downsides are:
- It provides close to no impact protection, but I always fit bubble wrap on empty spaces and a piece of foam to protect the screen. And,
- I must to remove the landing gear assembly (just 4 screws which are extremely easy to remove/reinstall)

That aside, it is extremely compact and easy to carry around; I have yet to find an airplane where it doesn't fit on the overhead bin. (only once I coudn't fit it under the seat infront of me on a super economy seat)

I do have to very carefully pack everything every time I plan to travel with my H, but I've got the peace of mind that my unit is always with me.

Greetings

Reactions: Regis Damiba
The only problem with that, JulesTEO, is when you inevitably board a flight that is jam-packed and they then force you to give over your carry-on to go in the cargo hold. Not a matter of if it will happen, only when.

That's why I purchased a hard-case suitcase that will fit the Typhoon case inside of it. I check it at the beginning, before being forced to do so.

Does the Typhoon H backpack fit as a carry-on for flights?

If you check anything of value, buy an optional insurance policy at the airport. Before purchase check to assure it will cover electronic devices as common carrier insurance included with your plane ticket often does not.

The way airlines have changed checked and carry on rules means you’re going to end up paying one way or the other. As hard as people try it’s just not possible to cram everything they take with them in the overhead compartments and under a seat. Take a drone, spare batteries, a charger, a laptop, and some clothes and you’ll end up fitting only a one day change of underwear after the big stuff is packed away, and end up buying toiletries at your destination.

Shipping ahead using air freight ends up cheaper, easier, and safer. If you send all your clothes and stuff in a larger sized drone box the carry on conundrum becomes a simple thing to resolve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roysky
Shipping your drone separately might be an option in the continental US but here in Europe it is a bit more problematic. Most of the flights I would like to take my drone on are international. Thus shipping is also international and therefore much more expensive. Courier services like DHL or UPS would cost more than my plane ticket. An added fear of mine should anything in the shipping process go wrong, my drone would end up stranded abroad with me having to sort it out or go home without it.
Budget airlines in Europe have whittled carry-on baggage allowances in the worst case senario to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (21.6" x 15.7" x 7.8") and 22 lbs (10kg) getting the Typhoon H to fit in a bag this size isn't going to work.

I got this foam insert to fit my Pelican 1615 roller case. I liked the blue color which made it easer to see.

I think I got this from eBay.

IMG_6880.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop