Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H camera issues/quality

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new here and this is my first post, so I apologize if I am asking questions or raising issues already raised.
I am SURE, that like many before me, I have wrestled internally whether to get the Typhoon H or the DJI Phantom 4. I know they are different, but their price point is so close that it DOES make them competitors in my mind.
So, this brings me to my current position... I really do LOVE the look, functionality and customer support of the Typhoon H, and am definitely leaning towards it strongly...as in, I really WANT to go ahead and buy one...today! I initially was concerned that it didn't have the range of the Phantom 4, but now, I think I am not likely to ever really fly 3 miles away and totally out of line of sight!
That issue being overcome for me, I am left with only one major issue..and it does feel fairly major. Like may of you, I really want to do a lot of video making with this, its not just a fun flying toy for me. That being said, I seem to see a LOT of issues of "washed out color" in the many video's I have seen posted by Typhoon H users online.
I am wanting to see if anyone here has gone through that issue, and if there was much that could be done to fix that problem shy of spending hours at the computer doing video editing. I know in many cases, people just leave settings on "auto" to make life easier, and while I am no photography guru, I would happily invest the time in learning how to manually set the camera if it was definitely going to fix the issues and give me a far superior quality of video.

I guess if it's not something that is realistically able to be fixed, then the Typhoon dream is likely to end for me as an "It came soooooo close to being right" experience :(

Thanks for any help and thoughts you can share.
Alan
Ontario, CA

Alan the camera issue is a none issue in you re trying to get a $2500bcamera on a $1300 platform. In manual mode on the camera you can do what you want. Don't let me influence you at all. Go buy that P4. Fly safe. The future is now. I'll be flying my TH.

Hi guys,
I am new here and this is my first post, so I apologize if I am asking questions or raising issues already raised.
I am SURE, that like many before me, I have wrestled internally whether to get the Typhoon H or the DJI Phantom 4. I know they are different, but their price point is so close that it DOES make them competitors in my mind.
So, this brings me to my current position... I really do LOVE the look, functionality and customer support of the Typhoon H, and am definitely leaning towards it strongly...as in, I really WANT to go ahead and buy one...today! I initially was concerned that it didn't have the range of the Phantom 4, but now, I think I am not likely to ever really fly 3 miles away and totally out of line of sight!
That issue being overcome for me, I am left with only one major issue..and it does feel fairly major. Like may of you, I really want to do a lot of video making with this, its not just a fun flying toy for me. That being said, I seem to see a LOT of issues of "washed out color" in the many video's I have seen posted by Typhoon H users online.
I am wanting to see if anyone here has gone through that issue, and if there was much that could be done to fix that problem shy of spending hours at the computer doing video editing. I know in many cases, people just leave settings on "auto" to make life easier, and while I am no photography guru, I would happily invest the time in learning how to manually set the camera if it was definitely going to fix the issues and give me a far superior quality of video.

I guess if it's not something that is realistically able to be fixed, then the Typhoon dream is likely to end for me as an "It came soooooo close to being right" experience :(

Thanks for any help and thoughts you can share.
Alan
Ontario, CA
I would hold off until several issues with the Yuneec Typhoon H are corrected. There are a ton of the crafts in dealers hands that are new and have many of the issues talked about on this blog. Be patient and wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seachange01
About an hour before sunset. All I did post process was adjust the white balance and dump down exposure and contrast by .5.
And it looks better in 4K on YouTube if you can view it at that resolution.

THIS video is 1080P with NO adjustments at all, just edited together:

If you know your photography basics, she does pretty well.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Nice thanks for sharing.

Thats great! thanks for sharing.
I'm getting used to the settings for photos.

Here is the sunset from Welaka FL from a few nights ago.

13558627_10209872705039435_5519928416929181442_o.jpg

I love the H.

Mike

Beautiful, thank you.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
Hey Alan,

Your post indicates you're in Ontario, California.... home of Yuneec? Or is that Ontario, Canada?

If you are someone who takes pictures with your phone or a point and shoot camera and/or you take videos with your phone or another camera and do not use post processing software or movie editing programs or do not have a YouTube account or FLICKR account to share your works of art, and/or has only a laptop or tablet (small screen) that does not display 4K then either the Typhoon H or Phantom 4 are fine for your needs.

If you have plenty of photographic experience, high end DLSR cameras/lens and have many of the above items I noted (which would mean you are into photography/videography), then I would say the P4 is the way to go. You will get great photos/video in all lighting situations with very little effort and the DJI software App permits you to use your photographic knowledge and have much more control over the camera and end result.

Reactions: Seachange01
The low light images I'm seeing from the H seem pretty good - it's definitely something I want to experiment with!

As with any photography equipment, the hardware is rarely the limiting factor - it's usually the person behind the camera. The quality of the images you get out will depend on the amount of time and effort you put in - from planning a shot, through to making sure you're in the right place at the right time, on to having the camera set up right and then editing it after. Auto modes can help you with some of that, but for the rest you need to put in the work and have a certain amount of talent.

At the very least, I do suggest not using the auto white balance on the TH.. it's pretty horrid sometimes, from some of the samples out there :p

Other than that, just learn the manual camera functions and you'll do pretty well. It's a fixed 2.8 aperture IIRC, so at least that's one of the exposure triangle points you won't have to worry about (for reference: The Exposure Triangle: Understanding How Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO Work Together | Fstoppers ).

Most of all, have fun, learn what you can, and safe flying!

About an hour before sunset. All I did post process was adjust the white balance and dump down exposure and contrast by .5.
And it looks better in 4K on YouTube if you can view it at that resolution.

THIS video is 1080P with NO adjustments at all, just edited together:

If you know your photography basics, she does pretty well.

"Red Hill" was 120fps 0r 60fps?

Hey Alan,

Your post indicates you're in Ontario, California.... home of Yuneec? Or is that Ontario, Canada?

If you are someone who takes pictures with your phone or a point and shoot camera and/or you take videos with your phone or another camera and do not use post processing software or movie editing programs or do not have a YouTube account or FLICKR account to share your works of art, and/or has only a laptop or tablet (small screen) that does not display 4K then either the Typhoon H or Phantom 4 are fine for your needs.

If you have plenty of photographic experience, high end DLSR cameras/lens and have many of the above items I noted (which would mean you are into photography/videography), then I would say the P4 is the way to go. You will get great photos/video in all lighting situations with very little effort and the DJI software App permits you to use your photographic knowledge and have much more control over the camera and end result.

Hi CaptainDrone :)
I do live in Ontario, CA. I actually drove past the Yuneec head office yesterday (5 mins from home). They were closed to the public, but someone was working in the warehouse and I saw a drone flying back and forth overhead. I don't think it was an H, it looked bigger.
Anyway, I have decided to go for the typhoon H, Yuneec being so close and having such good customer service was a big part of that.
I bought mine on Amazon for $1200 inc. the Wizard Wand and 12 months to pay for it, free shipping and no tax, so I was happy.
I even managed to find a couple of extra batteries today locally for $109 and again was happy because I know how hard they have been to come by for people, especially at a price less than $139.
So, for now, the Drone Gods are smiling on me, it arrives next week, So between now and then, I am going to start reading the manual I downloaded.

At the very least, I do suggest not using the auto white balance on the TH.. it's pretty horrid sometimes, from some of the samples out there :p

Other than that, just learn the manual camera functions and you'll do pretty well. It's a fixed 2.8 aperture IIRC, so at least that's one of the exposure triangle points you won't have to worry about (for reference: The Exposure Triangle: Understanding How Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO Work Together | Fstoppers ).

Most of all, have fun, learn what you can, and safe flying!
Hey Jeremy,
Thanks for the reply and the link. Some great reading there!!

Reactions: Jeremy Bernatchez

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval