Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CGO3+ camera has a focus problem. Period.

I'm not really sure they even hit 60. I just looked at many videos I took with the Typhoon and they are all coming in at 50 (see graphic below). The "Data Rate" is showing 49.9 Mbit/s for a 4K video at 30 FPS at a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

View attachment 1575
I've just checked a video file shot during a test flight on Thursday.

It's showing a data rate of 44645kbps. The video was shot at 30 fps at a frame height of 1080

I'm not really sure they even hit 60. I just looked at many videos I took with the Typhoon and they are all coming in at 50 (see graphic below). The "Data Rate" is showing 49.9 Mbit/s for a 4K video at 30 FPS at a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

View attachment 1575

It's the advertised "Low bitrate - High Quality" from the security camera processor used, that is at the heart of these problems I strongly suspect.

I hope that either Yuneec will put their hands up and do a recall of all of these cameras, and do camera replacement that gives buttery smooth quality as would come from a camera if they had used the correct components in the first place. This would not necessarily mean trashing the whole gimbal unit just sending it in somewhere to switch out the everything from the processor board though to the sensor bridge. - If they can't do this then I hope they can work something out with Ambarealla to reflash the processor and other chained chips to kill the bit rate and space saving heavy image processing that is going on.
I've already set up out a way to use my sony nex on the H by framing shots in CCC with the CG03P and then reflyingh the mission with the Sony...the two camera weights are comparable and I can get the same COG going on....just waiting 4 days now for the wind to drop to try it out.

Last edited:
Do you think that in the beginning Yuneec had a different processor in mind capable of 100 Mb/s but due to production demands they replaced it with a lower quality processor which could be mass produced quickly?

Maybe, or else they aggressively cut costs to keep the buy-in price less than the P4 after it was announced. They said originally all models would come with a backpack and two batteries as well. I think the SoC is the same old S2 as the CGO3, hence why it can't reach over 50Mb/s. Interestingly they now say the H Pro will do 100, so it may have the better processor or else they forgot to edit that page too.

Getting half the data rate promised is really lousy.

I've just checked a video file shot during a test flight on Thursday.

It's showing a data rate of 44645kbps. The video was shot at 30 fps at a frame height of 1080

Don't wish to freak anyone out but I just looked for a video file I had taken with the Typhoon at 1080p (1920 x 1080 at 30 FPS). This is a file from the very first Typhoon H I had received. The data transfer rate is only "13.75 Mbit/s".

1080.jpg

Last edited:
Do you think that in the beginning Yuneec had a different processor in mind capable of 100 Mb/s but due to production demands they replaced it with a lower quality processor which could be mass produced quickly?
Hard to know, maybe, and then they realised that they has a pile of these left over from the CG03 or they did not fulfil a previous CG03 order or Ambarella had a ton of these in stock and gave them a good deal, or there assembly teams would not require retraining if it was same board, who knows?

I so hope they fix the camera issue.
For me, the H is been very reliable, stable flying camera platform. It does very well in wind, a few antenna upgrades and it has pretty good distance abilities.
So it all boils down to you made a terrific aircraft, but the slung a piss poor camera on it.
I do not want to return mine, I will soon be past that point anyway.
I DO want the camera fixed, every thing about it works great IMHO, but the video quality is just not there.
Yes there are issues with firmware and such, that in time I think will be corrected, but for Yuneec to just fall dead silent on a large and well documented issue is just wrong.

Does any one know if the CGO3+ uses a variable bit rate (VBR) or constant bit rate (CBR)? If it's VBR that would explain the difference in data rate listings. VBR specs will be listed as the average data rate, not the peak.

Keyframe distance is also important. Does anyone know what the keyframe distance is set to on the CGO3?

When I choose to export a VBR compressed movie, the data rate changes depending on the content. If half the content is a large blue sky that doesn't change, that compresses down to near nothing. That doesn't mean that the quality of the footage has suffered in any way though. Fast changing, highly detailed textures will suck up the max bit rate.

All the original files from my CGO3 are showing a consistant 49-51Mbps. One file showed 52Mbps. The data rate was always within a few K of the total bit rate so it looks like the CGO3 runs a CBR of 50Mbps.

What bit rates are you guys getting from the CGO3+ at 4K?

Last edited:
but for Yuneec to just fall dead silent on a large and well documented issue is just wrong.
There are so many of this current H in the distribution pipeline now that new buyers will inherit these issues for some time into the immediate future. What IS frustrating is there are resellers whom advertise here and still sell the H with those documented shortcomings.

Last edited:
I so hope they fix the camera issue.
For me, the H is been very reliable, stable flying camera platform. It does very well in wind, a few antenna upgrades and it has pretty good distance abilities.
So it all boils down to you made a terrific aircraft, but the slung a piss poor camera on it.
I do not want to return mine, I will soon be past that point anyway.
I DO want the camera fixed, every thing about it works great IMHO, but the video quality is just not there.
Yes there are issues with firmware and such, that in time I think will be corrected, but for Yuneec to just fall dead silent on a large and well documented issue is just wrong.
I'd return before your window to do so expires. Better to have a drone that gets great footage right now than waiting 6 months for a replacement camera.

Here's file info from two of my videos of the same scene just different quality settings. Does everyone get the same gibberish in the Format line?

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 12.10.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 2.18.28 PM.png

Here's file info from two of my videos of the same scene just different quality settings. Does everyone get the same gibberish in the Format line?

View attachment 1583 View attachment 1584
Same for me when using the Quicktime Inspector. Must be just unrecognizable file coding data perhaps due the container (i.e., file format).

If I review DJI files, there is no gibberish (different file format).

I think the format message is just a text description of the encoder used, and set in the codec firmware. It's possible that the 'gibberish' is just Chineese characters that aren't displaying correctly on a Western application. As such, it's completely unrelated to encoder problems. Note that the rest of the format text is correct.

Missing Exf data in the DNG is an omission rather than a bug - there's no requirement to include complete Exif metadata in raw image formats, and DNG supports a number of optional metadata formats on top of the mandatory information about pixel layout and so on (http://wwwimages.adobe.com/content/***/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf). I'm trying to figure out a workaround to recover some useful information when DNGs are being used.

Reactions: banned user
What bit rates are you guys getting from the CGO3+ at 4K?
I calculate that I got (before I returned it):

Clip recorded: 2min12sec = 132sec divided by the file size (789MB) = factor 5.9
5.9 x 8 (Conversion from MB to Mbps)=

47.2 Mbps

You love the H right? It has the retractable gear - 360deg gimbal but a crappy camera.
Get a P4 and your not happy with what it is as stated up there ^^^. Wouldn't it be worth replacing the lens and end up with a Typhoon H, which would make the others look like crap for quality?

There are no assurances whatsoever that replacing the lens wont reveal exactly what DerStig has claimed: that the camera is flawed from the start. If I knew for sure, you make a good point. But I don't. Frankly, I spent almost 2 days downloading raw H video files and examining them in detail, comparing them in After Effects and I found that even when the focus problem was under control this camera is inferior to the one on the P4. I wish it wasn't true but it is. I was desperately searching for footage that looked as good as the DJI camera. The fact is it simply not there.

Would I prefer a decent camera on the Typhoon H craft? In a heart beat. In fact Yuneec is already ahead of the game a bit in that it has a removable camera (P4 not) But unless you know a way to strap a P4 camera on to the H (that I don't know about), I'll hold my nose and buy the P4. Then in 6 months or maybe in a year when Yuneec announces the "Typhoon H Mark ii" that fixes the nightmare camera problems for a whole new $1300 I can buy it then.

But of course you'll be screw&^%$, because you invested in the "Typhoon - Mark i".....

I'm just trying to figure out if I have an issue before I call Yuneec and look stupid because I'm doing something wrong.

I've had nothing but expedient and very professional tech calls with support. Don't
be worrying about sounding "stoopid" . We're lucky to have domestic support, speaking
english an extra bonus.
Ask away, you payed for it.

Ok so here is 1 using the std camera on the H...

This was not taken by me ok. Very nice quality straight from the H stock setup.

I will also post a video shot after the lens was replaced, Again this was not me but this is straight out of the sd card with no post improvements. I watched the original in 4K and its awsome considering he had it set to AUTO at the time which means even better quality when set up manual settings. Sadly though unless i am mistake, it is only viewable in up to 2K mode..let me know if some of u can see it in 4K.

Hey guys !
I was really waiting this Typhoon H and thought this will be the one. Then first videos came out and I couldn't belive how Yuneec just can't learn from q500 camera issues (too warm, etc.) , and now again camera is main problem. I remember one guy posted shots of H video and P4 video on the same spots and you can see how P4 videos are just much better in color and sharp. I started to talk about this on another forum and was accused that I am DJI agent or whatever.
Now after sometime, I read that users are acknowledge what I said in the beginning. Camera producing blurry videos and auto setting are just not as good as with P4. Nevertheless I am not buying P4 because it just don't look pro to me. So it seems I will wait to see if Yuneec will acknowledge this and start to replacing cameras in near future.

They must understand that this machine camera is what this is about.......... VIDEOGRAPHY and PHOTOGRAPHY.
Wake up Yuneec !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig