Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H CGO3+ camera has a focus problem. Period.

Nobody spitting the dummy here. I have a full month of my life into trying to make this work with them. I have repeatedly sung the praises of the product and of the people in support (until the last conversation that went poorly) But ultimately Yuneec has refused to give me ANY assurances that I wont end up with a permanent sense of disappointment regarding the camera. $1300 is too much money for a really cool toy that cant shoot video. I agree that they are undoubtedly working on a solution, and that they are most likely overwhelmed with the success of this product. But they should have had better quality control before they released the product. And then shipping multiple cameras out with the same defect, while insisting on the phone that they were properly inspected and meet specifications is also not good for my trust level with them. I have no way of knowing whether a new glass lens will solve the problem. The only thing I know is that if I try, it will void the warranty and push me past the time when I can return the craft for money back.

If they fix the problem, and then treat their customers well by announcing that they have a solution then I'll buy another one. In the meantime I want my money back. Thats not "spitting the dummy", just common sense.

I too have returned my Yuneec Typhoon H. I specifically bought the craft to use for videography. Sadly,the H does not do a very good job of it now camera wise. I will revisit the Yuneec product line in the future when their product matures..

Reactions: JohnL
I'm probably going to return mine as well. Got it from a 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon so I don't know what the policy is.

The camera quality is poor and if I need a class in cinematography to work it to get a good exposure, I don't consider that a consumer product.

Why I Returned My Yuneec Typhoon H For a Refund

After owning a Yuneec Typhoon H for close to a month I had to make a hard yet responsible decision in regard to the Typhoon H. After repeated testing and attempts to utilize the craft as a camera platform that delivered results per the manufacturers advertisements, I came to the conclusion this particular craft was not for me.

What I am writing up here is just my personal experience and your experience may be far different than mine. I think the Yuneec Typhoon H is a fine looking craft that is quiet in flight yet very fragile in build quality. Granted,if perhaps an accident happened where the craft was damaged parts are available. I still think it is fragile.

After considerable testing,the below are my personal take on the craft I owned.

1. The CGO3+ cameras video and still images are soft. Very noticeable @ 1080p and 4K resolutions. Video footage is very poor @ 120FPS.

2. Lens on the CGO3+ camera displays a very evident "Pin Cushion" effect.

3. 720p video down link latency is very obvious. What appears on the ST16 controller screen does not display fluidly resulting in pan and tilts of the camera to appear choppy on the controllers screen even in an area without excessive WiFi interference.

4. ST16 controllers HDMI output works with some external HD devices,but not others. When an external HD device does work with the ST16 controller,tapping the controllers screen results in that screen going blank if exiting the telemetry display and going full screen video mode only.

5. Craft looses Compass calibration. Note: Compass calibration done per manufacturers instructions. All calibrations done facing magnetic north away from cell phone,metal buildings/structures.

6. Craft has a pronounced "DeadBand" on the sticks when craft is engaged in yaw,forward,reverse or side to side movements via the sticks. Note: Jerky movement at the beginning of any stick induced motion.

7. GPS looses lock at times in unobstructed environments.

These are my personal experiences with the craft I owned. You may or may not experience the same. As this is what happened with what I purchased,I felt the craft did not meet my needs or met advertised ability or capability in a consistent manner.Maybe sometime in the future I will revisit the Yuneec product line, but for now software and hardware issues need to be addressed before I do so.

Maybe sometime in the future I will revisit the Yuneec product line, but for now software and hardware issues need to be addressed before I do so.
My thoughts exactly, for various reasons, some similar, some different.

I have serious issues with the DJI Phantom 4 - It's NOT what I would prefer, but they do have a great camera for the money.

Yuneec has a great craft but a serious camera problem IMO, and that mess has soured me regarding the H. I'm half tempted to buy another H somewhere else just to tempt fate and see if I get lucky and find a camera that works. Thats how much I love the craft.

But the video footage I got out of the 2 cameras I received from Yuneec was awful and my trust level is very low....

Sending mines mack to amazon for a replacement because of the image quality and sd card getting stuck in the controller. Amazon sent me a replacement before I even sent the defective one back! :D

Yuneec USA tech support seem like jerks and act like they are unaware of the issues people are having with the camera. They tried to get me to send it in for repair but from what I'm reading on this forum about how long it's taking and people getting bad cameras as replacements or whatever I'll just send it back to amazon. Still a chance I might get another defect even though amazon assured me I wouldn't but it's WAY faster

6. Craft has a pronounced "DeadBand" on the sticks when craft is engaged in yaw,forward,reverse or side to side movements via the sticks. Note: Jerky movement at the beginning of any stick induced motion.

Nice to know mine isn't the only one that can do this.

My thoughts exactly, for various reasons, some similar, some different.

I have serious issues with the DJI Phantom 4 - It's NOT what I would prefer, but they do have a great camera for the money.

Yuneec has a great craft but a serious camera problem IMO, and that mess has soured me regarding the H. I'm half tempted to buy another H somewhere else just to tempt fate and see if I get lucky and find a camera that works. Thats how much I love the craft.

But the video footage I got out of the 2 cameras I received from Yuneec was awful and my trust level is very low....
SO Chris..... Think about this option before you decide.
You love the H right? It has the retractable gear - 360deg gimbal but a crappy camera.
Get a P4 and your not happy with what it is as stated up there ^^^. Wouldn't it be worth replacing the lens and end up with a Typhoon H, which would make the others look like crap for quality? I have seen the results of this 4K lens and its up there with the inspire mate. It is that good.
Just food for thought buddy. I know how frustrating it is but It's just another option to consider.
Return the H and get your money back sure, then pay more for the P4 and add to that a tablet but it;s still not what you wanted. Future upgrades to the H will improve it 10 fold in time.
do not mean to go on about it mate but take a step back and look at your options again before deciding.

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
I've been participating in another thread on this forum that's been exploring why so many new Typhoon H owners are having unacceptable focus problems with the CGO3+. That thread now has 173 replies and 2600 views, so I thought I would post a new thread to drive home how bad this problem has really become for us for and for Yuneec.

First let me say I LOVE the Typhoon H. From the aerodynamic engineering and stability, to the quick release blades, to the incredible controller, to the stability, to the smart modes, to everything else about this fantastic piece of engineering. It is breaking my heart to have to return this machine. But I have NO choice.

I have had 2 completely out of focus cameras for the H. Many owners have reported this problem, and a couple (now including myself) have waited weeks to get a new camera only to have the EXACT SAME problem with the new camera. Additionally the conversation with Yuneec today was less than encouraging. No promises to deal with the problem. Only assurances that I can send in my camera again and waiting another 3 WEEKS (pushing me beyond the point of being able to get my money back from the retail outlet).

To be clear: We have compared the 4K video footage from these defective cameras to other footage including footage from other CGO3+ cameras without the problem. It is not our imagination. This problem exists, and is beginning to appear to be widespread.

For comparison here is a side by side look at what I'm talking about. All shots from 4K UHD video. The last shot is my cell phone just to emphasize how bad this problem is. (PLEASE VIEW IN FULL SCREEN)
View attachment 1476
I returned my H to B&H yesterday. It was too much money to spend on a drone with such an awful camera. I wouldn't even dream of using this drone for pro work. They also falsely advertised that the video was 100mbps on their website.

SO Chris..... Think about this option before you decide.
You love the H right? It has the retractable gear - 360deg gimbal but a crappy camera.
Get a P4 and your not happy with what it is as stated up there ^^^. Wouldn't it be worth replacing the lens and end up with a Typhoon H, which would make the others look like crap for quality? I have seen the results of this 4K lens and its up there with the inspire mate. It is that good.
Just food for thought buddy. I know how frustrating it is but It's just another option to consider.
Return the H and get your money back sure, then pay more for the P4 and add to that a tablet but it;s still not what you wanted. Future upgrades to the H will improve it 10 fold in time.
do not mean to go on about it mate but take a step back and look at your options again before deciding.
Who knows if they will ever upgrade the camera...they may just make another drone with a better camera option. That's what DJI does. I guess my point is that if you want to be up in the air taking great video and photos with the H, how long does it need to sit in the box before you get an actual functioning camera like yours? Seems to me that there were a lot of these faulty cameras made and Yuneec isn't going to just toss them out in the trash. They will send out the "replacement" cameras and hope you and I don't complain. I don't know what the answer is but I think you are lucky that you have a functioning camera that you are happy with.

Reactions: ChrisP
What's weird is it's basically the exact same camera as the CGO3 in the Typhoon Q500 4K. None of these videos looks as sharp as what was produced from the CGO3. The new camera looks to be physically the same as the old one. The only difference I can see is the gimble has 360 degrees rotation, the lens/camera looks exactly the same.

I wonder if they have someone else doing the camera assembly?

Last edited:
They should do the right thing and exchange the units that are not up to what was advertised, after all it IS false advertising. Consider that right there on the box and in all ad material the promise of a 100Mbps camera..... A data rate thats 40% higher than competition and one of the reason I bought the Typhoon H
Yuneec's website claims 60MB 30FPS video capture Typhoon H

What's weird is it's basically the exact same camera as the CGO3 in the Typhoon Q500 4K. None of these videos looks as sharp as what was produced from the CGO3. The new camera looks to be physically the same as the old one. The only difference I can see is the gimble has 360 degrees rotation, the lens/camera looks exactly the same.

I wonder if they have someone else doing the camera assembly?
I totally agree with you. It is my belief the H and Q500 shared the same camera,but the H camera having 360 degree rotation and possible slight bitrate increase to provide 120FPS..

I returned my H to B&H yesterday. It was too much money to spend on a drone with such an awful camera. I wouldn't even dream of using this drone for pro work. They also falsely advertised that the video was 100mbps on their website.
I worry about if I'll ever get satisfaction with this drone... Perhaps my expectations were too high since I'm so used to DJI. I have the Typhoon, the camera is very average (I expected better). I have a 3rd camera on the way to me from Yuneec (they have been great!). I have invested in 3 extra batteries, props and a soft case. This brings the investment way up over the initial $1300. I'm really hoping they get many of the issues sorted out so that it was not a wasted investment.

That was edited on the Yuneec site after he quoted it. It's advertised on your store box as 100 if you need to check.
I'm not really sure they even hit 60. I just looked at many videos I took with the Typhoon and they are all coming in at 50 (see graphic below). The "Data Rate" is showing 49.9 Mbit/s for a 4K video at 30 FPS at a resolution of 3840 x 2160.

BITRATE.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech