Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Crash

Reaction score
I had already flowen one battery just fine. I loaded another battery and was flying along just fine, then all of a sudden i get a gps warning and i fall out of the sky. It broke 4 propellers, broke one landing gear module, destroyed the camera and gimbal, broke 2 latches that hold the arms up. luckly it didn't break an arm. I don't know what happened. Any insight with this problem.

or add the .txt extension to the csv file... this will allow you to post it

It sounds like the LIPO wasn't sufficiently 'cycled' all new batteries must be power cycled. Which means charging / discharging several times before being considered 'reliable' ...

It sounds like the LIPO wasn't sufficiently 'cycled' all new batteries must be power cycled. Which means charging / discharging several times before being considered 'reliable' ...
Where do you get the information that the batteries have to be power cycled? They've been cycled at factory.

Reactions: BroVari
Where do you get the information that the batteries have to be power cycled? They've been cycled at factory.

Through my own loss - I used a new battery without cycling it. The battery was a Venom and after the loss of the aircraft at 125 feet I had called their tech support. It was lights out during a night flight and with little warning the flight was cut short - it was flying approx. 9 minutes not the usual 18 associated with the cycled batteries, I guess you could take the manufactures word that they've been cycled or just be careful as they get 10 or so charges on them..

I see your point, I use venom batteries also (8) 6700mA. I usually only get 14 to 16 minutes out of them.
It is my understanding batteries are cycled and each cell is tested for voltages at manufacturing, it's automatically done and for quality assurance purposes. They come to the consumer at 3.54 volts each cell. When my other batteries started puffing (RIP) I now check my voltages before and after each flight, it's always good to carry an ohm meter.
As you know short flights are also caused by winds aloft which we cannot see or hear.

Through my own loss - I used a new battery without cycling it. The battery was a Venom and after the loss of the aircraft at 125 feet I had called their tech support. It was lights out during a night flight and with little warning the flight was cut short - it was flying approx. 9 minutes not the usual 18 associated with the cycled batteries, I guess you could take the manufactures word that they've been cycled or just be careful as they get 10 or so charges on them..

I’m with you. I had learned through years of rc from cars, boat, planes, helicopters you name it. Batteries always perform better cycled. In fact it was standard years ago to cycle your batteries for top performance. I had a few venoms puff on me not doing the charge, discharge cycle before putting it in the rc. I’m a firm believer that one should grab a decent charger as stock chargers will kill your battery life prematurely. The H stock charger ruined 2 stock batteries, before I took my own advice and started using my x2 charger. That barely pushes 2 h batteries.

I had already flowen one battery just fine. I loaded another battery and was flying along just fine, then all of a sudden i get a gps warning and i fall out of the sky. It broke 4 propellers, broke one landing gear module, destroyed the camera and gimbal, broke 2 latches that hold the arms up. luckly it didn't break an arm. I don't know what happened. Any insight with this problem.
I just ended a 6 month battle with Yuneec technicians. I was bring my Typhoon H back when it started to not respond to my commands. I managed to get it almost back when it completely stop responding to any of my commands and just hovered about 25 - 30 feet above me. I tried regaining control with inputs using all the flight modes to no avail. I watched as it slowly drifted into the side of my friends garage and there was nothing I could do. It was clearly a failure of Yuneec's product to perform as designed and I wanted it fixed under the warranty. Their technicians reviewed the telemetry three times and concluded each time that I flew it into the ground and that I caused the crash.
I am a retired engineer and when I returned the drone to them I included a detailed letter of what happen which was the total opposite of what they claimed the telemetry showed. I tried to get a manager to talk to me and none would. The only conclusion I could come to is that they know the operating system has problems and for economic reasons they refuse to discuss them.
The bottom line was that if I wanted my drone back I would pay them $245.00 to make the repairs. This company doesn't know the meaning of customer service and because of my short time of using their product I wonder if this is business as usual.
I hate to relate to you the bad experience with Yuneec that I had but it sounds to me that your drone may have also experienced some sort of a system failure. They don't just fall out of the sky because of a loss of GPS. Computers are not perfect and when glitches occur, causing a crash within the warranty period, good companies own up to it and make repairs. Bad ones do as I just described. I hope you have a better experience with Yuneec.

Post your telemetry data, someone will help you. If you do not know how to do it here is a video.

Your video was very helpful. I wish I had it before I sent my drone back to Yumeec for repairs
Right. They don't fall out of the sky due to GPS. It's due to low voltage.
I only use my drone for short flights to take real estate pictures and have never had a problem with batteries. Can a fully charged battery fail after only a few min. of flight and how do you cycle the battery other than flight?

After restore of the telemetry00044, the picture for looks like this:
- massive compass errors, starting at 13:58:39; I wonder if there was Compass warning on the ST16.
- 13:59:38 long compass errors again.
- 13:59:47 a harsh yaw movement seen (maybe mis-interpretation by FC due to compass error) and starts to fall down with up to 9m/s descent. OK, this is free fall.
For deeper analysis I would need Remote_00044.csv
GPS is in good condition and the GPS fix is used. GPS lost for a short time when it already crashed.

From this telemetry, I see a good chance for replacement by Yuneec due to possibly defective compass.

br HE

Edit: Here is what we are talking about:
5689c.png

Attachments

• Telemetry00044.kml.zip
    343.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@DonCrowe - That was a snap reply by me. And it wasn't helpful. I do apologize! Sorry your bird crashed. :(
No problem but where I discovered the need for something better was with my Blade drone. It was a minor crash and nothing was broken but the camera came loose from all 4 of the rubber mounts and the 4 pins didn't help at all. I loosely installed the 4 small tie wraps and problem over. Where this becomes even more important is on the Typhoon H. The connection from the camera to the base on the Blade used a connector so when the camera came off the connector just unmated. The camera on the typhoon H is hard wired and when it came off it broke the wires off at the ring and didn't leave enough wire to make a repair. Had I installed the four tie wraps on the Typhoon H like I did on the Blade the wires would not have broken.

I'm hearing issues with camera falling off during a crash or otherwise. So I see a solution, instead of using these crummy plastic pins and washers, go to your local hardware store purchase a couple of small threaded screws/bolts, washers and lock nuts, (of course same dia and length). there is no way this will fall off, only the main housing will give way due to the severity of the crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval