Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H firmware bricked

Have loaded GUI and drivers , on 4 different machines - both win 32 and win 64 . Removed all other USB devices . But this is the starting point . when I connect the H in standard mode instead of the correct USB sound I get the " warble" and notification that USB unknown ie it is not seeing it as a serial port and hence the GUI has no comms method and therefore can not load the firmware using the GUI.

I then put processor into dfu mode by raising Boot 0 pin (60) and using dfuse utility can communicate with it as a usb device .I try and load firmware for the FC at address 0x0800000 ie beginning of flash - this file is +- 601KB , which loads correctly but then when back in normal mode have the same symptoms - ie dead bird .

In the payload ( file ver 2.25 ) are 4 files ( the FC , a file called Flow ?? , The Gimbal , The Camera ) . Ideally a short description of what each does and the load address would help a lot. This type of info is not compromising their IP but facilitates a reload.

Does anyone have an email address of a yuneec technical person that I could ask this question .

I am looking for someone to fill in the ........... below

TyphoonH_Ver2.25_A

encapsulates

cgo3+gb_3.2.16_LC_A_firmwar_30216.bin - loaded into ...... @ address .......... [ size 56,893KB ]

CGO3PLUS_V1.22_2016_5_19.yuneec - loaded into ...... @ address .......... [101 KB]

TyphoonH_FC_V1.28_9_2016.yuneec - loaded into ...... @ address .......... [601 kb]

TyphoonH_Flow_V1.04_3_25_2106.yuneec - loaded into ...... @ address .......... [86kb]

yes but I need JUST THE autopilot file - If I load the bin file it wont work as this has the code for the gimbal and the camera . Their system uncompressed and processes the bin file before programming the correct code into the correct device . I am screwed as the main processor does not work so can not get updated . The only way is to get the main processor code only in a bin file or a DFU file format .

When I updated to Ver 25A mine did the same, the pilot did not update with the rest. I had both the controller and the H files on the SD card. Delete all files from the SD card except the H update file. Then re-install again. It worked for me after deleting the other files.

Hi John , Tried that and also did not work - My new STM chips arrive on Friday from Mouser so will solder a new one on and hopefully will be able to start from scratch . I am also hoping that Steve Wall Morris may have some instructions . If I get this resolved I will post a detailed youtube video step by step as this has been a real mission - If I were not technical I would have just sent it back and asked for a full refund.

Hi John , Tried that and also did not work - My new STM chips arrive on Friday from Mouser so will solder a new one on and hopefully will be able to start from scratch . I am also hoping that Steve Wall Morris may have some instructions . If I get this resolved I will post a detailed youtube video step by step as this has been a real mission - If I were not technical I would have just sent it back and asked for a full refund.
I actually think it's pretty cool what you are doing hedley. Nice to have the skills to pull it off. I hope you do. Kind of makes me wonder if it'd be possible to do open source development for custom H firmware.
Out of warranty of course...
Greg

OK - received new STM processor chips and replaced on the flight management board ( the small one on top inside the H ) . Still does not communicate with the GUI on the USB cable between the PC and the Typhoon H . My thinking is as follows - At the factory they load a small program which allows the H to talk to the GUI . This may be the flow program but I doubt it.
If anyone knows where I can get this code and what address to load it at it will really help .

Hedley,
What are you using for a boot loader?
I am not up on those type of chips, but in playing around with some PIC micros I know some need specific boot loaders or you will never get anything into them. Had one you had to apply power to more than one pin during programing.
Just a thought.

You tried the flash software from
Steve Wall Morris?
I read about people that got a recovery tool from customer service and successful recovered the H

No have not received any flash software from SWM . It seems as if the STM chip comes with a bootloader from the ST factory . This will work with both USB or serial connection depending on which pins are connected . ST have a tool Dfuse which allows you to program the chip ( to access the bootloader the Boot0 pin has to be set to +v and the boot1 to gnd. On the STM32F405 this involves connection pin 60&64 and pin 18&28 , and this works on the PCB with the old and now the new STM chip . The problem I have is not knowing what program to load and what address to load it to.

The USB cable connecting the PC to the H has 4 pins which end up on the H processor PA9/PA10 = uart1 for programming serial method and the other two wires are routed to PA11/PA12 which allows programming via USB and this requires the DFU utility. When you download the firmware TyphoonH_Ver 2.25_a.bin this can be unpacked and results in 4 files

TyphoonH_flow_V1.04_3_25_2016.yuneec (86kb) ??
TyphoonG_FC_V1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec (601Kb) - I think this is the flight computer
CGO3PLUS_V1.22_2016_5_19.yuneec (101kb) - I think this is for the gimbal
cgo3+gb_3.2.16_LC2_A-firmware.bin (56MB) - I think this is for the camera.

As the ARM chip only has 1MB clearly the camera firmware is not loaded here . When everything is working the files are unpacked and loaded in the correct locations and at the correct addresses. My problem is that for some unknown reason the serial connection does not work so the GUI does not connect to the H - I have tried different PC * 3 reloaded drivers etc. The result is the only way to communicate with the H is in DFU mode . It is here that you have to firstly convert the .yuneec files into a DFU format and the load them BUT in the conversion you have to specify the load address . The Internal flash is located at 0X0800000 but I think the three small files are all loaded in some order and specific addresses or perhaps joined together and then loaded.

This has turned from a frustration into a personal mission . If anyone else can go into DFU mode and then upload the file straight out of a working H and email it to me then I could just re-flash on my H and perhaps have a first flight .

Reactions: Ximo
I would suggest to write yuneec and ask for this recovery file and the flashing manual.

It seems that it helped different people before

No have not received any flash software from SWM . It seems as if the STM chip comes with a bootloader from the ST factory . This will work with both USB or serial connection depending on which pins are connected . ST have a tool Dfuse which allows you to program the chip ( to access the bootloader the Boot0 pin has to be set to +v and the boot1 to gnd. On the STM32F405 this involves connection pin 60&64 and pin 18&28 , and this works on the PCB with the old and now the new STM chip . The problem I have is not knowing what program to load and what address to load it to.
I sent the flash software to you on the 4th Oct, so there must have been an issue. Just in case I have forwarded the email again plus I sent a new email with the flash software and instructions. Hopefully it will be enough to get you back up and running.

I would suggest to write yuneec and ask for this recovery file and the flashing manual.

It seems that it helped different people before

I have sent the PCB's back to Yuneec for programming .

My conclusions of the month long exercise are -:

1. Dont try and program latest firmware using the USB cable and the Typhoon GUI - This caused the ' bricking '
2. The processor chip contains firmware that Yuneec don't release and further have read protected this code. If you try and copy this from a working board and disable read-protect the processor over write all code with FF .
3. Downloadable files are Updates only so the base software that is factory programmed is not available .
4. I did write to Yuneec asking for this so I could re flash and received no reply .
5. I dont think Yuneec will release this " bootloader " as that would open the door to users writing their own control software and loading it onto the unit . The Yuneec brand could then suffer further damage with " homegrown firmware " controlling their units .

This was a long and costly exercise so I hope other users can benefit from this and if their unit beeps once and then powers off when power button released then just send straight back for re-flashing and Dont try and program updates from the GUI !!

Regards

Reactions: Ximo
I see that amont other things in this thread your are talking about firmwares. Can you please confirm that after Firmware 2.21 came 2.24 .
So actually there were no 2.22 and 2.23 right ?
Firmware 2.21 for the Typhoon was released in same time when latest firmware for ST16, right ?

why dont you sent it back to yuneec? It would be easier, and I think you are in warranty still.

Maybe a litte late for you, but Yunnec Europe postet this on facebook:
1. Download Software V1.28. You need this Software as a basis to start updating again. Download here: http://files.yuneec.de/TyphoonH-FC_V1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec
2. Open Typhoon H GUI Software.
3. Go to „Tools“ slide above. Then „Firmware Update“.
4. A pop up window shows up. Go to „…“ and select the Software Version 1.28 file.
5. Remove battery from your Typhoon H. Connect USB cable to copter and laptop or PC.
6. System starts to update your Typhoon H. Wait until it was uploaded correctly. Close program.
7. Remove USB cable. Insert battery.
8. Upload newest software version 3.0 to SD card. Insert SD card into the CGO3+.
9. Turn on ST16 and Typhoon H. Wait until you can see the live image of the camera on your ST16.
10. Go to „System Settings“ on your ST16. Then tap "About Controller“.
11. Click „Update“ for Typhoon H and the system should start to update everything to the newest version.
12. For checking go back and then again go to „System Settings“ —> „About Controller“.

Maybe a litte late for you, but Yunnec Europe postet this on facebook:
1. Download Software V1.28. You need this Software as a basis to start updating again. Download here: http://files.yuneec.de/TyphoonH-FC_V1.28_24_9_2016.yuneec
2. Open Typhoon H GUI Software.
3. Go to „Tools“ slide above. Then „Firmware Update“.
4. A pop up window shows up. Go to „…“ and select the Software Version 1.28 file.
5. Remove battery from your Typhoon H. Connect USB cable to copter and laptop or PC.
6. System starts to update your Typhoon H. Wait until it was uploaded correctly. Close program.
7. Remove USB cable. Insert battery.
8. Upload newest software version 3.0 to SD card. Insert SD card into the CGO3+.
9. Turn on ST16 and Typhoon H. Wait until you can see the live image of the camera on your ST16.
10. Go to „System Settings“ on your ST16. Then tap "About Controller“.
11. Click „Update“ for Typhoon H and the system should start to update everything to the newest version.
12. For checking go back and then again go to „System Settings“ —> „About Controller“.

Well done, I should have thought of posting this myself, I had three if not four people looking for help over the weekend alone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430