Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H, Odd behavior when letting off sticks

I have my share of junkyard parts installed but I don't think they bother the calibration. BTW, I set the ST16 on the ground a few feet away when I do the compass cal. I don't see a need to set it down and walk to the H. I think the location of the cal is more important than anything, away from structures, underground tanks and underground power cables.

My method is not dissimilar. I have a small (3' dia) patio table Inset both the H and -16 on while placing the system in calibration mode. Typically the actual calibration is performed 4' or less away from the table and -16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jester
Just to be clear....you did delete the Flight Data?
Regarding the to do list.....your last option is the best. I have consolidated all my lists into a single new one called "Not to do List". Everyday I scratch off an item and add a new item and so far I have a perfect score.
What! You're allowed to make your own lists? Every time I make my own list I end up at the Dr. where my wife tells him, I fell...again. I'm so sick of having to wear long sleeves all summer. ;)
Anywho, yep, flight logs deleted. However, every time I go back in to the secret ST-16 menu to calibrate it, my left stick, (J2) doesn't want to turn green and I have to move it back and forth at least 3-4 times, pushing against the stops a bit before it'll go green. After that, it'll light up the greens on the next step of the process, and even in the hardware monitor it seems to look fine with normal movement.
Between this issue, and the fact that my ST battery drains quickly and loses control of the H after it dips to 80% or below, it's looking like I'm going to add another month to my long list of non flying months since I bought this very frustrating TH. I guess I'll spend that time working on my forgery skills and convince my (blonde) wife that she made my cool new list.
1. Wake up
2. Have coffee until you decide it's time to do something
3. Go get a massage
4. Buy new drone
5. Fly as much as you want
6. Buy new motorcycle
7. Ride as much as you want
8. Don't listen to wife and kids
9. Throw other lists away
10. Call and yell at Yuneec
11. Check strength of all alcohol in tiki bar
12. Pass out when **** good and ready
13. Repeat as needed

Just to be clear....you did delete the Flight Data?
Regarding the to do list.....your last option is the best. I have consolidated all my lists into a single new one called "Not to do List". Everyday I scratch off an item and add a new item and so far I have a perfect score.

The trick for a husband in managing a successful marriage has always been finding a mutually acceptable excuse in avoiding the honey do list. Took me a long time to teach my wife plumbing, minor carpentry, auto repairs, and yard tool repairs. After that it only required listening to a few complaints for not being present when the work needed done. A few complaints has been much easier to handle than doing the work.

My method is not dissimilar. I have a small (3' dia) patio table Inset both the H and -16 on while placing the system in calibration mode. Typically the actual calibration is performed 4' or less away from the table and -16.

I guess after a few close calls with this thing, my paranoia has got me being overly careful. The thing worked better when I wasn't as careful. Maybe I should let one of my young daughters get it going and bring it back to me working. :)
Then again, maybe my wife is hiding some gamma ray device and zapping my H every time I go out to play, hoping I throw it in the lake and get back to work on that never ending list. I'm starting to think I should go back to work and try again in my 50's or 60's. I should be beat up enough by then that the expectations are lower. This early retirement thing is far too much work and has way too many bosses.

The trick for a husband in managing a successful marriage has always been finding a mutually acceptable excuse in avoiding the honey do list. Took me a long time to teach my wife plumbing, minor carpentry, auto repairs, and yard tool repairs. After that it only required listening to a few complaints for not being present when the work needed done. A few complaints has been much easier to handle than doing the work.

Great plan. I tried to spend my life destroying myself enough that nobody would expect me to do anything. Didn't work out so well. Now she asks me to keep my oohing and ouching down while I do the lists because it takes the joy out of it for her.

I pretty much did a similar physically destructive thing as you did. Wife didn't have any sympathy either, which is why I taught her how to change out water heaters, toilets, repair garden plumbing, and such. Instead of her listening to my oohing and ouching I listen to hers. I have very selective hearing, when present;) Equality, yes?

Rebooting is always a good idea after you do a calibration. The compass cal on the Q500 required the bird to be facing due North. While this is not mentioned for the H, many of us still do that. It may have merit. I've also gotten into the habit of watching the GPS coordinates to make sure they have stabilized before I launch. And, since it easy to access, it doesn't hurt to open the Hardware Monitor and recheck your sticks to make certain the return to zero and there is no cross-feed.

Steve is correct! I have had the same issues with drifting to left. REBOOTING after calibration is a must. Also letting the H sit for about 12-15 minutes to let it properly lock GPS.

Steve is correct! I have had the same issues with drifting to left. REBOOTING after calibration is a must. Also letting the H sit for about 12-15 minutes to let it properly lock GPS.
Hey,
I have read on here that a reboot after a gimbal cal is good, and it worked for my gimbal being crooked after the update this morning. I also let it sit 15 minutes after the compass cal the other day, then rebooted before trying to fly. Should I be doing a reboot fresh after the accelerometer calibration as well? Today, after the update, I did the accelerometer, (without rebooting) then went into the gimbal, then rebooted. Didn't get the compass done today but plan on letting it sit for the 13+ minutes after, then a reboot before going airborne. Is a reboot after each now the way to go? I'm hoping that the update cured my issues, but the failure to get J2 to go green on the first attempt every time I do an ST-16 calibration has me a little concerned that it may be causing the Electric Slide upon stopping in flight. Hopefully I will get out tomorrow to test it and let you y'all, (see that, settling into this Texas language thing) know.

Hey,
I have read on here that a reboot after a gimbal cal is good, and it worked for my gimbal being crooked after the update this morning. I also let it sit 15 minutes after the compass cal the other day, then rebooted before trying to fly. Should I be doing a reboot fresh after the accelerometer calibration as well? Today, after the update, I did the accelerometer, (without rebooting) then went into the gimbal, then rebooted. Didn't get the compass done today but plan on letting it sit for the 13+ minutes after, then a reboot before going airborne. Is a reboot after each now the way to go? I'm hoping that the update cured my issues, but the failure to get J2 to go green on the first attempt every time I do an ST-16 calibration has me a little concerned that it may be causing the Electric Slide upon stopping in flight. Hopefully I will get out tomorrow to test it and let you y'all, (see that, settling into this Texas language thing) know.
When required, I do the accelerometer, then the compass, then reboot. After waiting for the first GPS fix you can launch immediately. A reboot is not needed.

What did I miss regarding the J2 and ST16 calibration? You shouldn't need to do that at all unless there is a problem.

I pretty much did a similar physically destructive thing as you did. Wife didn't have any sympathy either, which is why I taught her how to change out water heaters, toilets, repair garden plumbing, and such. Instead of her listening to my oohing and ouching I listen to hers. I have very selective hearing, when present;) Equality, yes?

I think you just pointed me to the problem. In my haste to impress a hot young blonde 24 years ago, I puffed out my chest and went babbling on about how I can do and fix just about anything I want to. Well it worked. Now she knows that if I say I can't, it really means I don't want to. I think this is where I messed up. **** ego! Sure, I make fun of her and point out how she's a blonde, but I think we all know now who the real dummy turned out to be.

When required, I do the accelerometer, then the compass, then reboot. After waiting for the first GPS fix you can launch immediately. A reboot is not needed.

What did I miss regarding the J2 and ST16 calibration? You shouldn't need to do that at all unless there is a problem.

Hey Steve,
Through all the issues I've had, I've gone into the ST calibration test several times in the last few weeks I've had my H back from Yuneec, but on that first screen, all of my controls turn green right away, except the J2. I have to move the left stick side to side several times, kind of pushing harder than normal against the stops for it to light up green. On the second screen of the test it works fine again, but then every time I go back to the first test screen, it's the same delay to get the J2 to turn green. I don't know if that's the cause of the dancing, but it sure doesn't seem right. Although, if doing an ST recal before each flight makes it fly properly, it sounds more fun than waiting another month for Yuneec to have my stuff again. If I wanted my stuff to be in the shop more than in my hands, I remember where the Range Rover dealer is. ;)

Hey Steve,
Through all the issues I've had, I've gone into the ST calibration test several times in the last few weeks I've had my H back from Yuneec, but on that first screen, all of my controls turn green right away, except the J2. I have to move the left stick side to side several times, kind of pushing harder than normal against the stops for it to light up green. On the second screen of the test it works fine again, but then every time I go back to the first test screen, it's the same delay to get the J2 to turn green. I don't know if that's the cause of the dancing, but it sure doesn't seem right. Although, if doing an ST recal before each flight makes it fly properly, it sounds more fun than waiting another month for Yuneec to have my stuff again. If I wanted my stuff to be in the shop more than in my hands, I remember where the Range Rover dealer is. ;)
What does J2 look like in Hardware Monitor? Does it return to zero? Is it linear? Does it max in both directions? When you move it slowly do you see any hesitation or glitches?

What does J2 look like in Hardware Monitor? Does it return to zero? Is it linear? Does it max in both directions? When you move it slowly do you see any hesitation or glitches?
It looks like it should in the monitor. Maxes out, goes smooth, and returns to zero without any noted glitch. The only thing that is different since I got it back is the J2 going to green on that first test. It used to do exactly as the others did and immediately go green upon left/right movement. Since it's the lack of maxing out that seems to be failing to turn it green, and not the lack of returning to zero, it probably has nothing to do with the H drifting sideways upon stopping, but the voices keep telling me to obsess on it. I wouldn't listen but then I have to get the weird looks in public when I'm having to tell them they were right again. ;)

It looks like it should in the monitor. Maxes out, goes smooth, and returns to zero without any noted glitch. The only thing that is different since I got it back is the J2 going to green on that first test. It used to do exactly as the others did and immediately go green upon left/right movement. Since it's the lack of maxing out that seems to be failing to turn it green, and not the lack of returning to zero, it probably has nothing to do with the H drifting sideways upon stopping, but the voices keep telling me to obsess on it. I wouldn't listen but then I have to get the weird looks in public when I'm having to tell them they were right again. ;)
Tell 'em to shut up. This territory is off limits; protected by laryngitis robots who will silence them if they trespass.

Since J2 looks good in the Hardware Monitor (not the hidden menu) I'm going to assume it is innocent.
To recap, you have done the firmware update, you deleted the Flight Data (not the flight logs), you created a new model, selected the CGO3 Pro and then did the binding procedure. I don't recall seeing any mention of installing the latest firmware. It contains some fixes and since you are having a problem, you must have it installed exactly as indicated in the video.
If you have done the update the next step will be to again remove the Flight Data and do all of the binding and cals again. The Flight Data is removed because it contains information that can cause erratic flight behavior. So fill me in on where you stand at this point.

Tell 'em to shut up. This territory is off limits; protected by laryngitis robots who will silence them if they trespass.

Since J2 looks good in the Hardware Monitor (not the hidden menu) I'm going to assume it is innocent.
To recap, you have done the firmware update, you deleted the Flight Data (not the flight logs), you created a new model, selected the CGO3 Pro and then did the binding procedure. I don't recall seeing any mention of installing the latest firmware. It contains some fixes and since you are having a problem, you must have it installed exactly as indicated in the video.
If you have done the update the next step will be to again remove the Flight Data and do all of the binding and cals again. The Flight Data is removed because it contains information that can cause erratic flight behavior. So fill me in on where you stand at this point.
Yes Sir,
I just did the firmware update yesterday, and all steps along with it, just as they should be. The upgrade went well, new model, flight data,
(not logs), etc...Just didn't get out and do the new compass calibration yet so I haven't tried it's behavior since the update since I haven't done the compass and the sit for 13-15 minutes before reboot and flight. The only issue I had after the update, which is the same issue I had the day I got it back from Yuneec, is that the gimbal wanted to sit off to the left, instead of straight forward. Yuneec told me to make a copy of the H and that fixed it the first time. I didn't want a copy of it so I was determined to get it right yesterday. All I had to do is 4 gimbal calibrations followed by 4 reboots and it finally rests straight forward, as it should now.
I agree with you on the J2. It still bothers me that it acts sticky in the ST cal menu, but it acts normal in the hardware monitor so let's hope that a compass cal and reboot will have it flying straight without the side stumble anymore, otherwise the next step for it will have to be a cup of strong coffee and a cold shower...Or I'm going to join it and get drunk myself.

Well, I'd like to thank you all for your input and advice. Because I was afraid to call Yuneec and be given an RA and told to send it in, which would surely mean another month without my H, I went ahead and updated it first. Yep, I know my luck, and I know my ADD-all or nothing tendencies. If I had called and gotten told to send it in, I would not have had the self control to not find out myself if the update was the fix. I would have updated it, and had it not fixed it, probably wrecked it, then would have had some very awkward conversations trying to explain myself to Yuneec, ship records from my psychiatrist stating my issues and why I shouldn't be held accountable for my inability to follow direction, and I'm not even going to think about the laughter, and follow up scolding from my wife.
Anyways, it looks like it was the right thing to do, although it was getting dark and I really didn't fly it much. I really only took it up to about 20 feet and went the few hundred foot length of my driveway and back, but it seemed to stop without the ten foot drift to the left when I let off the controls. It did seem a little unsure of where it's final resting place should be, but it was also windy and it's also been a while since I've been able to fly it, oh and I also suck at the sticks.
As the good Dr. keeps telling me though, "Embrace the suck if it's all you've got." <douchebag.
Didn't get out to try it today. Had to get some seat time in my backhoe, getting the winter's branches, leaves, and algae cleaned out so I can put in the new fountain for my wife. And now it's raining like crazy. That reminds me...thank God I left my new backhoe hanging precariously on the slope into the pond so the rain could keep me wondering how well it can sit on clay/mud all night. This forum and you all have been awesome. Thank you. BTW, anyone know of a good backhoe flood restoration forum? You know, just in case I hae questions tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dubiousflyer