Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H, Odd behavior when letting off sticks

Reaction score
Hey All,
I have an odd issue ever since I got my H back from Yuneec, where they installed a new compass/gps and I have recalibrated a few times to no avail.
When I move the H forward and let off the sticks for it to stop and stay put like it used to, it stops moving forward, but it makes a deliberate move to the left about 5 to 6'. When I move it back toward me and stop, it moves to the left 5-6. When I move to the left, it will go forward or back, (can't remember which) the same amount, and the same going to the right.
Anyone had this happen before, and what did you have to do to correct it? I have not done the newest update that came out in Feb., since I got it back, as I've not wanted to add to the number of possible causes and confusion. I know that the update could possibly just fix it and I wouldn't even have to worry about why, but where is the fun in that? Also, updating it may solve it, but I, nor anyone else will learn anything from it if I fix it that way, don't post it here, and we don't run through the possible causes together for others to see.

Also, I want to say, I did do a search on this before starting a new thread, but I couldn't find anything under, "Break Dancing Drones," or Typhoon H knows, "The Electric Slide." I did just move to Texas recently, and the H with RealSense is supposed to learn it's surroundings. Could it maybe have learned the ability to do the Texas Two Step? Ok, joking aside...I just don't know what to use as a search term for this problem.
Thanks, Mark

Hey All,
I have an odd issue ever since I got my H back from Yuneec, where they installed a new compass/gps and I have recalibrated a few times to no avail.
When I move the H forward and let off the sticks for it to stop and stay put like it used to, it stops moving forward, but it makes a deliberate move to the left about 5 to 6'. When I move it back toward me and stop, it moves to the left 5-6. When I move to the left, it will go forward or back, (can't remember which) the same amount, and the same going to the right.
Anyone had this happen before, and what did you have to do to correct it?

I think the solution is to call Yuneec and ask them what the heck they did to your craft.

Reactions: PatR and Jester
I think the obvious solution is to call Yuneec and ask them what the heck they did to your craft.
Yep, I agree, but being the weekend, I thought I would start here to see if it's been seen before. It also came back from the with a gimbal that wouldn't face straight forward, or do what it is supposed to with the gimbal in angle mode. It just acted like global mode no matter where the switch was. Their answer to that was to just make a new copy of the H and rebind it. That worked, but after that, I read on here that turning it off, then back on directly after the gimbal calibration without doing anything else first may have corrected that problem.
How exciting! I hope I get to go another month without it again. I forgot to mention that it's also giving my the, "GPS Lost" warning when I have 16 satellites.
They didn't even address the issue of my H losing control when my ST-16 battery falls to around 80% or less, or that why the ST-16 battery percentage drops so fast and always has since I bought it in November. They were very quick to give me a return authorization without even a hint of wanting to avoid covering it under warranty, like so many companies will try to do these days, and for that I am impressed. It's just frustrating to be without it, or have it not working and untrustworthy all this time, as I am trying to log the hours necessary, and work on my 107 so I can start doing some real estate work in this beautiful, lake filled area of Texas that I just moved to, that is full of amazing homes and boathouses, that I am dying to film for people selling their houses. I love this bird, but my confidence in it and in it's ability to fly over all this water has been shaken and I'm in serious need of some good quality flights with it to get my confidence back. Even when I was brand new to it, and had zero experience, it flew so perfect that I found it a dream for the newbie to get into camera UAV's without feeling like it was too much risk. Now, I'm too nervous to fly over my own private lake for practice, much less doing it for a customer. :(

Have you recalibrated the accelerometer as well? Have you checked the stick calibration in the ST16? If you have done these things then it could be J-hooking.
Early Phantoms had this problem which was related to the magnetic declination at your location. It could be fixed by rotating the compass a few degrees.

Reactions: Jester
And have I accidentally said anything in past posts to make you think I would do the obvious solution thing? ;)

oui monsieur

Have you recalibrated the accelerometer as well? Have you checked the stick calibration in the ST16? If you have done these things then it could be J-hooking.
Early Phantoms had this problem which was related to the magnetic declination at your location. It could be fixed by rotating the compass a few degrees.
Yes Sir. I have done the accelerometer twice, the compass three times, and went into the secret menu to do the ST-16. I did find, during the ST-16 calibration that the yaw stick needed to be pushed harder than the others when pushing to the right, in order to get it to respond, but then when I did it again, it reacted as it should again.
"J-Hooking." That sounds like a rapper name. Maybe it is break dancing.
Good advice, and it just made me think about something I didn't, so Thank you, RiverRunner.
The one thing I am wondering is if I'm getting the compass calibration done quickly enough, as in the 30 seconds or less, that I've read and seen videos on. I messed up my back and I'm not the fastest person now with my limp, and in following the advice of keeping everything, (ST-16, cell phone, etc) 25' or so away from the H I'm wondering if I'm not getting back over to it, lifting it up, and completing the calibration fast enough by myself, even though it shows it as successful. When the rain stops, I will enlist one of my kids, or my wife to hit that cal button on the radio while I am already in position to start the calibration and see if that does anything.

One other thing comes to mind. Since the GPS module has been replaced, it would not have any stored data for your location. It has been suggested that for a totally new location or in the case where the unit has not been used for quite awhile, that the GPS should be left stationary for a time, (maybe 12-15 minutes) with power on so that more accurate correctional data is acquired from the satellites. Might be worth a try.

One other thing comes to mind. Since the GPS module has been replaced, it would not have any stored data for your location. It has been suggested that for a totally new location or in the case where the unit has not been used for quite awhile, that the GPS should be left stationary for a time, (maybe 12-15 minutes) with power on so that more accurate correctional data is acquired from the satellites. Might be worth a try.
Hey, just wanted to make sure I did it right, because I did just read that a week or two ago.
Here is what I did Friday evening: Took it to a huge open field, did the compass calibration, then went and sat in my truck and left it sitting for a little over the 13 minutes I read about. I didn't do anything else but the compass calibration, set it back down, (still away from my phone and the ST-16) and waited until the timer on my phone said it's been long enough. Then I walked back over to it, turned it off and then fired everything back up. Is there anything I missed? I don't know if turning it off after was needed or advised. I just did that because I read about the gimbal calibration needing to be done and then the H turned off and back on for the gimbal to take the new calibration. ANything you see I may have missed, or done wrong?
Thanks.

Hey, just wanted to make sure I did it right, because I did just read that a week or two ago.
Here is what I did Friday evening: Took it to a huge open field, did the compass calibration, then went and sat in my truck and left it sitting for a little over the 13 minutes I read about. I didn't do anything else but the compass calibration, set it back down, (still away from my phone and the ST-16) and waited until the timer on my phone said it's been long enough. Then I walked back over to it, turned it off and then fired everything back up. Is there anything I missed? I don't know if turning it off after was needed or advised. I just did that because I read about the gimbal calibration needing to be done and then the H turned off and back on for the gimbal to take the new calibration. ANything you see I may have missed, or done wrong?
Thanks.
Rebooting is always a good idea after you do a calibration. The compass cal on the Q500 required the bird to be facing due North. While this is not mentioned for the H, many of us still do that. It may have merit. I've also gotten into the habit of watching the GPS coordinates to make sure they have stabilized before I launch. And, since it easy to access, it doesn't hurt to open the Hardware Monitor and recheck your sticks to make certain they return to zero and there is no cross-feed.

I have been doing the calibration facing magnetic north, and I totally believe it does have merit, as I used to do down hole surveying in the oilfield and our calibrations had to start facing north as well. That was with a $500,000 gyro tool, so if it didn't have the technology to figure it's own heading for calibration, I've always assumed the H didn't either. I didn't reboot directly after the compass cal, but instead let it sit for 15 minutes directly after without doing anything else, as I read on here that it needs to sit 13 or more minutes.
Good idea on watching the gps coordinates. I will look at that and I'll also go back in and recalibrate the ST-16, watching closely.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to break it out and re-run everything again today if the rain stays at bay.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Jester,

When you mention "letting go of the sticks" does that mean simply releasing them from a deflected position to snap back to center? The reason I ask is because if a gimbal return spring is weak it could allow another, stronger return spring to over power the return force of the weaker spring, causing the stick to offset from center during a "bounce back" type of release.

Reactions: Gracilsinfor
Jester,

When you mention "letting go of the sticks" does that mean simply releasing them from a deflected position to snap back to center? The reason I ask is because if a gimbal return spring is weak it could allow another, stronger return spring to over power the return force of the weaker spring, causing the stick to offset from center during a "bounce back" type of release.

Oh ya, I guess I did make it sound that way. No, I just meant returning them to center, as you normally would to stop flying in any given direction, as opposed to having them snap back. Although, after months of inconsistency and confidence killing downtime, the snapping of the sticks could be me snapping them off.
It's the craziest thing. I know I just moved pretty deep into redneck territory but for my H to make the Swastika symbol when I'm not hiding cowardly under my sheet scares me.;)
I still want to get out and recalibrate the compass again, having someone hit the cal button while I'm already over at the H and away from my phone and ST-16. I'm not sure how picky it is about the, "within 30 seconds rule, but being as gimpy as I am, I very likely could be not getting over to it, picked up, and the compass calibration done within that time.
When I got it back from Yuneec a few weeks ago, the gimbal was off center like we all hear about, and wouldn't even go into angle mode, so Yuneec told me to make a copy, rebind, and and recal, so I don't even know if it has worked correctly since getting back from the GPS replacement. I do know that I'm still getting the GPS lost warning on my screen at my 2 attempts to fly since getting it back, which is a bit unnerving since that and it trying to fly away a few times is why they had it for a month. I really need to just get on the phone with them about this, and about my ST-16 not holding a charge long, and losing control of the H if it gets down to 80% battery or less. I think I'm going to go ahead with the firmware update tonight to see if that helps, and then if it has any issues there, I'll already have it done before they have me do it.

Ok, this is probably unlikely, and No, I haven't been drinking, nor have the voices in my head, but I'd like to get everyone's input on this off the wall, but possibly conceivable notion.
Whatcha think are the chances of a butt load of titanium cages, rods, and screws in a person spine screwing with the compass calibration?
And no, that is not the route the titanium was installed ^ but I'm packing a lot of metal only an arms length away from the H during the compass calibration, and it just flashed in my mind, (between the voices) and made me wonder. Let's make that two arms length away. A one armed calibration would look cool, but would probably be the reason my H dances better than I do.
Serious though...any input on the metal being an issue? Thanks

Titanium is very mildly magnetic, which probably does not impact anything during typical operational stuff, but with the system in a calibration mode? That's a darn good question. Be worth having someone else do the spin treatment once to see how it works out.

Whatever happened to you that added all the extra parts sure does not seem to be dragging down your attitude. Keep whatcha got man. Not many can hang like you do.

Ha, Thank you, Sir. It's that artificial funny bone. Pretty hi tech. ;)
I was born the class clown, and have never been able to stop the smart-a$$-ness. Believe it or not, it is one of the main questions that comes up on the ADD and ADHD questionaires throughout my life, and the Dr's have always not even had to ask it after the first few minutes of any appointment.
I always have to tell those that don't know me, "I'm just as surprised as you people at the crap that flies out of my mouth." It's totally spontaneous and often at an inappropriate time, but it got me through rough stuff in life, so I've never really cared. Plus, when you look like me, you had to be able to charm the pants off the ladies.;)
My poor wife finds herself having to explain me to people when I embarrass her, but she also says she wouldn't have me any other way. I have hundreds of pages of stand up material, but I don't do well in front of an audience unless I drink. Unfortunately, by the time I drink enough to be comfortable, standing up isn't a good idea. I did do a show at a nursing home once...Those people were peeing themselves. Not sure why. I hadn't started yet.

I was born the class clown, and have never been able to stop the smart-a$$-ness. Believe it or not, it is one of the main questions that comes up on the ADD and ADHD questionaires throughout my life, and the Dr's have always not even had to ask it after the first few minutes of any appointment.
I always have to tell those that don't know me, "I'm just as surprised as you people at the crap that flies out of my mouth." It's totally spontaneous and often at an inappropriate time, but it got me through rough stuff in life, so I've never really cared. Plus, when you look like me, you had to be able to charm the pants off the ladies.;)
My poor wife finds herself having to explain me to people when I embarrass her, but she also says she wouldn't have me any other way. I have hundreds of pages of stand up material, but I don't do well in front of an audience unless I drink. Unfortunately, by the time I drink enough to be comfortable, standing up isn't a good idea. I did do a show at a nursing home once...Those people were peeing themselves. Not sure why. I hadn't started yet.

"I don't care who you are... that was funny!"

I have my share of junkyard parts installed but I don't think they bother the calibration. BTW, I set the ST16 on the ground a few feet away when I do the compass cal. I don't see a need to set it down and walk to the H. I think the location of the cal is more important than anything, away from structures, underground tanks and underground power cables.

I have my share of junkyard parts installed but I don't think they bother the calibration. BTW, I set the ST16 on the ground a few feet away when I do the compass cal. I don't see a need to set it down and walk to the H. I think the location of the cal is more important than anything, away from structures, underground tanks and underground power cables.
You're probably right, Steve. When I first got the H I hadn't seen anything about getting away from the ST-16 to do it, so I just did it with it close. That was back in October and it seemed to fly fine the first several flights, but since then, between the radio, gimbal issues, and sending it in for the gps/compass board, it's been an unpredictable bird. I might as well test that theory of the radio being closer not being an issue first, and then get someone to help me spin it if it still does it.
Just did all the firmware and the gimbal & accelerometer cals this morning so I'm just a compass cal away from seeing if it works.
As soon as I finish my tiny little honey-do list of painting the chicken coop, cleaning out the pond, installing her new pond fountain out in the middle of it, and building the bar and roof on our tiki barge, I'll get to fly it today before dark. :>(
Or, I can wait til she leaves for the store today and try to get a little air time this month. ;)

You're probably right, Steve. When I first got the H I hadn't seen anything about getting away from the ST-16 to do it, so I just did it with it close. That was back in October and it seemed to fly fine the first several flights, but since then, between the radio, gimbal issues, and sending it in for the gps/compass board, it's been an unpredictable bird. I might as well test that theory of the radio being closer not being an issue first, and then get someone to help me spin it if it still does it.
Just to be clear....you did delete the Flight Data?
Regarding the to do list.....your last option is the best. I have consolidated all my lists into a single new one called "Not to do List". Everyday I scratch off an item and add a new item and so far I have a perfect score.

Reactions: PatR and Jester

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ardigitalmedia