Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UAS registration confusion

Reaction score
my goal is to get my 107 cert by September. Since buying my H a couple weeks ago I finally got around to doing the FAA registration. Only flew once to 6 feet in back yard just to check everything out and make sure it works.
I’m confused about which registration to do. 107 allows for recreational flying. But the catch there seems to be “obtaining the remote cert”. That’s the second or third item one the list of requirements. Is it correct to assume any newbie just getting started signs up under 336 hobbyist only, or are you breaking the law signing up under 107 and flying as recreational following the recreational requirements given under 107 till you have gotten the cert.
The FAA registration page is a bit grey about it in my opinion. That said the feds get another 5 bucks after I pass my 107 and reregister again. Not a big deal ( god knows they need the money ) but it would add up for them if that’s the correct and legal procedure to follow.
Any factual answer is welcome.

You are either flying for money or you flying for fun. A Part 107 holder can do both, you just have to decide before you fly. The registration for a hobby operator is really registering the operator as all their drones use the same number. It works differently with a 107. If you don't plan to use it to make money there is no real need to get a 107.

Take a look here - FAADroneZone

You are either flying for money or you flying for fun. A Part 107 holder can do both, you just have to decide before you fly. The registration for a hobby operator is really registering the operator as all their drones use the same number. It works differently with a 107. If you don't plan to use it to make money there is no real need to get a 107.

Take a look here - FAADroneZone
Been there many times. So to clarify. I intend to make money after I get my 107 cert. In the mean time it’s ok for me to register my H 107 even though I don’t have a remote cert yet.? Does that question make any since? Remember the language “must obtain” not “must have first obtained” just reread it again to be sure I’m not crazy.

You can register either way as an amateur but you cannot execute a flight that generated “consideration”. As an amateur flying with a commercially registered aircraft, a potential legal problem would certainly arise if an accident happened that would involve the FAA before you achieved 107 status. You would have to prove you were flying for fun.

As there is no guarantee you will pass the test in the first go round it might be prudent to register yourself as an amateur and later register the aircraft commercially after obtaining the 107. Although you spend an extra $5.00, if you acquire more drones all you have to do is apply your amateur (336) registration number to them in order to legally fly them. If you later elected to fly one or more of them commercially you just re-register them as needed.

In addition to that, should you choose not to fly any of the commercially registered aircraft you would only need to “de-certify” an FAA commercial registered aircraft and apply your amateur numbers to it. No additional fee required. This is something I’ve done with two of mine that are no longer used commercially.

Thanks. That’s what I was figuring to do. Go hobby and pay again after I pass.

It is only $5 and is good for three years. You can use the 336 hobbyist on an unlimited number of aircraft. It’s about the cheapest registration I know of with any governmental entity.

Remember the language “must obtain” not “must have first obtained” just reread it again to be sure I’m not crazy.

I'm not seeing the confusion. You "must obtain" either way, similar to any other government-required certificate - flying a commercial/private passenger aircraft, license to drive a motor vehicle, CDL, certificate to practice law or medicine, etc etc. It should be self-explanatory that you have to have it before doing the deed. Yes, I'm aware that learner's permits are not legally mandated (or at least they're not observed and generally incur no penalty), and for us older guys we didn't even have such a thing, but this is not ye olden days, and Caesar wants his tax.

When dealing with the government, always go with whichever option is most likely to not cost you more money. $5 now vs $30K and 30 days in jail is common sense.

I registered last year with my phatom 3 and just acquired this typhoon h. I am now studying for my 107.

[QUOTE="When dealing with the government, always go with whichever option is most likely to not cost you more money. $5 now vs $30K and 30 days in jail is common sense.[/QUOTE]

wink wink!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech