Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UK petition to block or change EASA regulation on UAV ops

Is there a place to read what changes they want? Is this for drones/uav or any radio controlled aircraft?
I would sign it but I am in the USA.

signed and email sent to my mp

Contacted my MP and got this response. Make of it what you will

Thank you for expressing interest in the UAS Prototype Rule.

We had and we are still having intensive discussions on the inclusion of model aircraft in our regulatory proposal, and how to differentiate between a model aircraft and a drone operator flying for leisure.

We are trying to give as much flexibility as we can.

With regard to your query, if you fly under a model club nothing will change for you. I would like to refer you for example to Article 15 of the UAS draft proposal (Prototype Rule, for your convenience I report it below). It gives the possibility to the national competent authority to issue an authorisation to model clubs identifying deviations from the European rule, no further risk assessment is required. In this way we are allowing the model clubs to operate as they do today giving maximum freedom. So if you fly within the remit of a club recognized by your national authority, you do not need to comply with the European rule since we know that a model club already imposes rules providing a sufficient level of safety. Therefore I expect that not much will change for people flying under model clubs rules and no modification could be required to their aircraft.

Still we need to regulate the flight of UAS outside of model clubs and in order to reduce the risk, we defined limitations in energy (weight and speed or level of injury).

Regarding model aircraft we are meeting with model associations, including BMFA, FAI and other national clubs and with their help we will improve the draft text further, if needed.

As you may know we keep aviation safety as high priority and we hope this draft regulation allows the UAS market to develop safely in Europe, without negatively impacting other categories such as the model hobbyist. The purpose of publishing the “prototype” version of the regulatory proposal, while we are still working on it, was exactly to receive comments from all interested stakeholders.

So thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope my answer helped to show that we do not intend to impede on model flights.

Contacted my MP and got this response. Make of it what you will

Thank you for expressing interest in the UAS Prototype Rule.

We had and we are still having intensive discussions on the inclusion of model aircraft in our regulatory proposal, and how to differentiate between a model aircraft and a drone operator flying for leisure.

We are trying to give as much flexibility as we can.

With regard to your query, if you fly under a model club nothing will change for you. I would like to refer you for example to Article 15 of the UAS draft proposal (Prototype Rule, for your convenience I report it below). It gives the possibility to the national competent authority to issue an authorisation to model clubs identifying deviations from the European rule, no further risk assessment is required. In this way we are allowing the model clubs to operate as they do today giving maximum freedom. So if you fly within the remit of a club recognized by your national authority, you do not need to comply with the European rule since we know that a model club already imposes rules providing a sufficient level of safety. Therefore I expect that not much will change for people flying under model clubs rules and no modification could be required to their aircraft.

Still we need to regulate the flight of UAS outside of model clubs and in order to reduce the risk, we defined limitations in energy (weight and speed or level of injury).

Regarding model aircraft we are meeting with model associations, including BMFA, FAI and other national clubs and with their help we will improve the draft text further, if needed.

As you may know we keep aviation safety as high priority and we hope this draft regulation allows the UAS market to develop safely in Europe, without negatively impacting other categories such as the model hobbyist. The purpose of publishing the “prototype” version of the regulatory proposal, while we are still working on it, was exactly to receive comments from all interested stakeholders.

So thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope my answer helped to show that we do not intend to impede on model flights.
hmmm sounds like if you are flying your uav in a controlled environment i.e. a model flying club field then you have nothing to worry about. If you are flying a camera drone where you want to take images of other things than model flying club fields then you may be in trouble.
No mention of professional use?

I hope all my "friends" across the pond get this petition approved, and get no restraints on your freedom to fly responsively in any manner you all choose ! ;)

Mmn flying around a disused airfield doesn't exactly rock my boat.

Does anyone know of sources for good arguments against this rule? I want to make a case to my MP but don't want to muddle facts.

It seems to me that heavy regulation will strangle innovation in this space and play into the hands of a small number of corporates. It doesn't solve the problem of 'nuisance' operators who will ignore the rules anyway and it penalises the hundreds (thousands?) of drone operators who act responsibly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval