Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Understanding the antennas

Reaction score
So I know this topic has been beaten but I'm overwhelmed with info after researching.
I live in an area where I can fly out very far over my own property without going over anyones property so after a few hours of flying within 600 ft I would like to go out more. Yesterday it was 100% humidity and when I would get to 600 ft I was loosing video and telemetry.
*What does what? The left side antenna is 2.4 ghz and is for control?
*The right side antenna is 5.8 ghz and does the video?
*Does the telemetry come through the 2.4 or th 5.8?
*Also with the stock antennas what is the best angle to hold the st16 to keep the video and telemetry working?
* Can I use any antenna that fits my st 16 without possible damage( I remember reading something about powering up without an antenna can cause damage, is this only on the vtx?)

I was told I would loose video way before control is this true?

I'm studying the antennas now but still need these fundamental questions answered.

Thanks

So I know this topic has been beaten but I'm overwhelmed with info after researching.
I live in an area where I can fly out very far over my own property without going over anyones property so after a few hours of flying within 600 ft I would like to go out more. Yesterday it was 100% humidity and when I would get to 600 ft I was loosing video and telemetry.
*Also with the stock antennas what is the best angle to hold the st16 to keep the video and telemetry working?
* Can I use any antenna that fits my st 16 without possible damage( I remember reading something about powering up without an antenna can cause damage, is this only on the vtx?)

I'm studying the antennas now but still need these fundamental questions answered.

Thanks
This subject was covered massively here back in May/June. Search this site for long range AND FPVLR or ITELITE and you will see a lot of discussion and successes with both types of add on antennas. From your questions it appears you're new to RC so you might want to read up a bit on the topic (do a lot of Googling) and especially try to get a handle on radio and frequency basics and the various options people have been using over the years. In any case DO NOT power up your ST16 Tx with the stock antennas removed (or your TH for that matter if you have removed antennas).

Last edited:
From your questions it appears you're new to RC so you might want to read up a bit on the topic (do a lot of Googling) and especially try to get a handle on radio and frequency basics and the various options people have been using over the years.

I agree, John. In fact I have a feeling that this hobby is not a good fit for him, no disparagement intended.

I agree, John. In fact I have a feeling that this hobby is not a good fit for him, no disparagement intended.
Unless you know him personally what brings you to say that? We all start out at "square 1" with anything we try in life. I've only been involved in RC for about five years now. Before that, my main hobby was homebuilt rockets and rocket fuels. I was a newbie once a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, and then I became a newbie again when I took up RC. I did however, invest the time and energy researching my questions/issues/problems before posting to NG's, but I have no idea where this gent is coming from. So why don't you cut him some slack, Jack?;)

Left (stick) antenna, 2.4, transmits control info
Right (mushroom), 5.8, receives video
Internal, 2.4, receives telemetry
Best angle is to have the antennas parallel to the antennas on the copter. The supplied anntennas are omnidirectional. Youll see discussions on the forums for directional antennas that provide more range (but you should be facing the copter, being directional they dont work too well if the copter is behind them).
You can't use just any antenna, you need ones that are sized for the frequency (not 100% correct but requires a lot more space to go into more detail). You should never power up a transmitter w/o an antenna attached.
Both frequencies are line-of-sight, 5.8 does not transmit thru/around trees/objects as well as 2.4 (and I suspect the copter is transmitting at lower power so you'll generally lose the video signal before losing control of the aircraft.

That's funny, someone telling me its not a good fit. I forgot that ray ray was born with all the knowledge he has now and never had to learn. Everyone has to start somewhere so I see your comment assures me that I'm in the right place.

Anyways I have watched the video and read the post quite a bit. My stock antenna looses video and telemetry about 1000ft with a clear shot so that's what I was looking to improve.

Does the telemetry go through the 2.4 or the 5.8ghz?
I didn't see that info in the post.

Thanks John

Hey ray ray check out the below thread and let me know if I'm still in the wrong hobby

Thanks Cyber that's great.

I have been flying rc's for 25 years. I'm now just learning the antennas now so I really appreciate it

its all good, being a decent pilot I still need to learn more about the antennas the range and how to fly safely.

thanks guys!

Ok,
Your ST-16 has 3 antennas.
As stated above the long stick like one is your 2.4 GHz control antenna.
The mushroom antenna is you 5.8 GHz video antenna.
And there is a third one inside for reception of the telemetry data.
One the aircraft there are 2 small wires hanging out on the left and right sides.
These are the 2.4 GHz transmit and receive antennas. Inside the camera there is a cloverleaf antenna for the 5.8 GHz video.

Reactions: ProbeT
Geez @BobW55 you condensed that down just perfectly. You have a wonderful economy with words. Guess I shoulda posted that in the first place!:)

Thanks

englisch:

Hello,
the division of the aerials is quite simple.
On the left is an omnidirectional antenna (2.4 GHz) for control and telemetry.
The right is a small Cloverleaf antennas for video downlink.

Overall, this configuration is very well tuned, you can improve this as well.
The DBS ITELITE I feel too expensive, so I chose a cheaper alternative.
For the video downlink I (eventually Warning Adapter dazubestellen) use a 30 € Mini patch antenna of Spironet 8dbi 5,8GHz FatShark spiroNET 8dBi Mini Patchantenne LHCP.
And for control and telemetry a 7dbi omnidirectional antenna Delock WLAN Antenne 802.11 ac/a/h/b/g/n RP-SMA 4 ~ 7 dBi omnidirektional drehbar
Together about 45 € and thus half cheaper than ITELITE and small and fits well as in the trunk!

In order to get far, far, far, I'm going to mention any figures.

But even if the telemetry fails, the Copter is still controlled because the telemetry is interrupted, so that the bandwidth available for the control. Here I recommend the telemetry failure RTH.
If the complete connection to depart Copter, then the copter goes to FailSafe mode, and will fly to the last known position of the ST16 and land there.

deutsch:
Hallo,
die Aufteilung der Antennen ist ganz einfach.
Links befindet sich eine Rundstrahlantenne (2,4GHz) für Steuerung und Telemetrie.
Rechts ein kleine Cloverleaf Antennen für den Video-Downlink.

Insgesamt ist diese Konfiguration sehr gut abgestimmt, man kann diese aber auch verbessern.
Das ITELITE DBS empfinde ich zu teuer, daher habe ich eine günstigere Alternative gewählt.
Für den Video-Downlink nutze ich eine 30€ Minipatchantenne von Spironet 8dbi 5,8GHz FatShark spiroNET 8dBi Mini Patchantenne LHCP (Achtung eventuell Adapter dazu bestellen).
Und für die Steuerung und Telemetrie eine 7dbi Rundstrahlantenne Delock WLAN Antenne 802.11 ac/a/h/b/g/n RP-SMA 4 ~ 7 dBi omnidirektional drehbar
Zusammen etwa 45€ und damit die hälfte günstiger als ITELITE sowie kleiner und passt auch so in den Koffer!

Damit kommt man weit, sehr sehr weit, ich werde jetzt keine Zahlen nennen.

Aber selbst wenn die Telemetrie ausfällt, ist der Copter immer noch steuerbar, denn die Telemetrie wird unterbrochen, damit die Bandbreite für die Steuerung zur Verfügung steht. Hier empfehle ich beim Telemetrieausfall RTH.
Sollte die komplette Verbindung zum Copter abreisen, dann geht der Copter in den FailSafe Mode und wird zur letzten bekannten Position der ST16 fliegen und dort landen.

Gruß
Fan Tho Mass

Reactions: ProbeT
Hello,
the division of the aerials is quite simple.
On the left is an omnidirectional antenna (2.4 GHz) for control and telemetry.
The right is a small Cloverleaf antennas for video downlink.

Overall, this configuration is very well tuned, you can improve this as well.
The DBS ITELITE I feel too expensive, so I chose a cheaper alternative.
For the video downlink I (eventually Warning Adapter dazubestellen) use a 30 € Mini patch antenna of Spironet 8dbi 5,8GHz FatShark spiroNET 8dBi Mini Patchantenne LHCP.
And for control and telemetry a 7dbi omnidirectional antenna Delock WLAN Antenne 802.11 ac/a/h/b/g/n RP-SMA 4 ~ 7 dBi omnidirektional drehbar
Together about 45 € and thus half cheaper than ITELITE and small and fits well as in the trunk!

What do you recommend for the Pro, the ST-16 with 3 antennas? 2 Delocks and 1 Spironet?
What does dazubestellen mean?
Thanks for your advice.

" (eventually Warning Adapter dazubestellen)"
He warns that you may need to order an adapter to attach the antenna.

Reactions: Rayray
I have been playing with different antenna orientation over the last few flights and I have found for me at least that if I have them pointing at 90 degrees up I get the most stable connection with no losses at all,tried a few flights and stable as a rock then changed orientation and video loss occured as before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval