Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Unstable in wind

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bought my Q 2 months ago and I'm happy with it, but in windy condition (10 mph or above, always in the limit), my Q behave like the one of the user Notrude. How can I solve it? I always calibrate the compass before flight and all seem to be good... It's really frustrating, please help me!

Unstable in 15 mph winds

Same thing happened to me in my last flight. When 10+ winds hit the Q, it went into a spin out of control. Some people call it snap yaw. Some even say its caused because the camera is not aerodynamic enough to fight the wind. I just learned to deal with it if and when it happens.

Good to know. When it happened, I always s**t in my pants because it seems to overturn. It's really scary. It never overturn, but it became instable and it's scary. What do you do when it happens? What advice can you tell me? I speak with oder Q500 owner's and they told me to return it to the dealer, but I don't want: my Q work really fine if the wind it's not blowing. Hope that this behavior it's pretty normal :)!
PS: Sorry for my english, I'm italian :D

Tutto bene! That is pretty normal for what I know. Its normal behavior from strong wind. I just release both sticks and the Q stabilizes itself after couple of seconds. In my case, that happened when making a U-Turn to return back home. I think we will get used to it after it happens two or three times.

Reactions: ButtaFuori96
But can a drone overturn? Because when the wind hit the drone, it starts to overbalance and it's really scary. I'm not really used to it :(

What I have noticed when flying my Q it can get caught in 2 different air flows so when you see it getting thrown about best thing to do is let go of the sticks the GPS will sort it out as that's what I learned I freaked out the 1st time it did it then one day I had it hovering I pulled the drone and it went back to were I had it hovering so then that gave me the idea next time that happens let go of the sticks and yip that's all I do now the gps fixes it just don't panic

Reactions: ButtaFuori96
Flying backwards helps a lot. As said before, the front of the Q with that big camera really catches the wind. But if you just let go of the sticks the GPS will sort it. I've found flying tail first into a strong wind really helps. The rear of the Q has a much more aerodynamic profile than the front. Just fly backwards to where you want to be and turn it around to get your shot....

Reactions: Thomas111
Hi guys, I bought my Q 2 months ago and I'm happy with it, but in windy condition (10 mph or above, always in the limit), my Q behave like the one of the user Notrude. How can I solve it? I always calibrate the compass before flight and all seem to be good... It's really frustrating, please help me!

Unstable in 15 mph winds
I own 4 Q500 4Ks (three flying and one for parts). I live in the wind turbine capitol of the world (Texas) and we have constant and reliable winds here. The thing I am probably most impressed with is the stability of my drones to handle the winds here.

I've flown them 400 feet above two of my cars in wind and they followed me well, made stable videos in the process. I don't recommend you drive your car while piloting your drone, but I own a ranch in the middle of nowhere, carry an aviation transceiver with me... But the Q500 performs great in winds.

I carry a professional anemometer in my kit to check and verify winds, in two years of flying several Q500 4Ks I own, I've never had a problem with any of my Yuneec Q500 4Ks in strong winds. I suspect some people are crashing drones (name your brand or type here) because they have overlooked the KP index.

Reactions: Thomas111

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalomba