Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video feed issues compared to Typhoon H

Reaction score
I was just comparing my "old" Typhoon H with Intel RealSense and H520 with E90 camera and some things immediatelly get my attention. All software latest on H520
First of all just to say that I am from Europe but I am running my Typhoon H on latest USA firmware. This is because when I was on EU firmware I had often connections breaks during flight and then I needed to wait for about minute to reconnect. This is completely solved by just overwriting with USA firmware and have never lost connection since.

For about H520 I am not sure if there is USA or EU firmware or this is just the one for all, but I am not satisfied with video connection and video feed in general. I haven't lost connection so far (just 3 fligts) but video feed is like with every second hiccup. It is not smooth like on Typhoon H. Not sure if this is maybe because on H520 middle antenna is rounded , while on typhoon h there is squared antenna.
Anyway, not only those hiccups, but overall video feed quality is low quality on H520 which on my Typhoon H is far better.
Not sure if this is normal and you all guys are having such problems or not ?

One more thing about camera, I see shutter speed is 1/500 and then 1/1000, nothing between, is this normal too ? I was using cloudy conditions.

One more thing that I tested didn't work at all and this is Obstacle avoidance. There are sonars on H520 and they should be better than on my Typhoon , but when I switch OBS to ON, I tried to "push" drone but it does not see me at all standing 1-2 meters from it. I didn't find in manual if I need to enable OBS somehere there maybe ?

I would like your comments on this so I can maybe solve those issues.

You will find the American firmware for the E90 here. Just put it on the micro sd card put in the camera and turn on. It will Auto update it. It connects much faster on the American firmware. You should have had the flat patch antenna in the box for the H520 when you bought it as well as the mushroom shaped one.

Yuneec H520 Software Releases for Yuneec Partners

some of the camera settings are lacking at the moment, hopefully being sorted soon.

The abject avoidance does not work if you are below 5m I think it is.

The EU firmware runs at lower power, so reception will not be as good. That said, in completely clear conditions you can receive video from a mile away with the Typhoon H.

The flat antenna on the ST-16 is directional - which means that it picks up a much stronger signal from the drone so long as you point directly at it. If you put that antenna on the ST-16S with the H520, you'll get the same benefits.

Had some issues with the e90 at 60fps with losing video feed after 2 to 3 min mark when video recording. With 30 fps no issues at all. E90 will not resume video feed until rebooting the camera. photos during this period will also not function. I still have all the telemetry information.

Had some issues with the e90 at 60fps with losing video feed after 2 to 3 min mark when video recording. With 30 fps no issues at all. E90 will not resume video feed until rebooting the camera. photos during this period will also not function. I still have all the telemetry information.

That looks like it's because of the SD Terrence card, it doesn't happen to me and it makes the cuts after 5 minutes. I continuously record the entire flight without problems.

You may be running out of video buffer and the SD card is not fast enough to record and empty the buffer at the same time.

With the E90 recording at full resolution the card must be very fast, minimum 90 MB/s recording.

My DJI units out fly the H520, 3 to 1 in both distance and video feed. Not sure what it is but I have tried the flat antenna and third party "extended range" antennas but they help only marginally. I think they have a frequency and bandwidth issue. Hoping firmware updates will improve the issue but Yuneec does not seem to be very interested in addressing this.

That’s because DJI designs and advertises their products to encourage illegal operational behavior. Yuneec does not and there’s no reason to address something that is not an issue for those operating legally.

I disagree with the premise of your argument. You assume it is not an issue for those operating legally. I operate legally and find it a huge issue. And as for the intention of DJI, I think you are describing your bias rather than anything factually regarding DJI. Is it not DJI that mandates occlusion from no-fly areas while Yuneec allows such flights?

My DJI units out fly the H520, 3 to 1 in both distance and video feed. Not sure what it is but I have tried the flat antenna and third party "extended range" antennas but they help only marginally. I think they have a frequency and bandwidth issue. Hoping firmware updates will improve the issue but Yuneec does not seem to be very interested in addressing this.
I fly both DJI and Yuneec. I would agree with Pet's statement. The H520 is capable of flying up to 1600m/1mile with standard antennas. That is way more than the legal maximum that require you to remain in LOS. Although it's great that the DJI stuff can technically go further than the H520, Why by remaining legal, would you want to or need to? Dji's implementation of NFZ from a commercial point of view is a pain. Having to request tempory NFZ drop is a pain and on some occasion I have heard that when arriving at the job, the drone still won't fly. As the h520 is aimed at the commercial market Yuneec chose not to have NFZ at all or on the old Typhoon H you could apply for NFZ removal.

Reactions: 10-8
I actually tried USA firmware for CGO-ET and the problem that I described remains, video feed is not as smooth as on my old Typhoon H. Two things are happening.
Like I already explained, when you turn camera rotation for example, on the ST16S you shoould see smooth camera rotation video feed but it is breaking like fractions of a second.

The other thing is quality of this video feed. When drone and camera is laying on the table and all is fixed, not movement at all and it is like image is not want to settle down. It is constantly overflowing if this is the word to describe this.
On Typhoon H video there is no such behaviour. Do you all experiencing similar or no ?

I don't get anywhere close to 1 mile or even a half mile. Dealer says all is working normally. I really your 1600 meters metric. Perhaps it would do a planned trip like that, but no way maneuvering or using the camera pan etc. I get beyond 1500 feet and video and begins to drop out, studded. I get lost communication alerts. All firmwares up to date. I can see the drone, its not down behind trees. Video is the primary problem but it does lose all communications sometimes. I've already switched out all the controls through the dealer. I think its just yuneec.

Reactions: Snagglesworth
Which antennas do you have, and what direction are they pointed?

Doesn't matter, mushroom or flat, even the large third party ones (and yes I know they are directional) don't really do that better, some, but nothing compared to DJI.

Doesn't matter, mushroom or flat, even the large third party ones (and yes I know they are directional) don't really do that better, some, but nothing compared to DJI.

Yeah, it matters a lot how you have the antennas in place, it's the most important thing. The antennas can be right or left polarized (we don't care much about this) and then they can transmit the information horizontally or vertically (and this is fundamental).

Since the antennas on the H520 are arranged vertically, the three antennas on our transmitter must be placed in the same way. All 3 of them vertically, pointing to the sky. Not having them like this, the distance decreases drastically.

They can't be compared to DJI's because DJI's transmitters are clearly in breach of the rules. They emit with much more power than legal. In Europe it's 25mw and in the USA (if I'm not mistaken) it's 100mw. Any transmitter transmitting on these frequencies at a higher power requires a radio license, otherwise it is illegal.

All nonsense. No one said anything about the antennas not being important or how they are arranged, of course that is true. It was not the point of my post.

DJI is not in violation of anything, they are perfectly illegal. They use a better technology thats all. Yuneec needs to up their game.

All nonsense. No one said anything about the antennas not being important or how they are arranged, of course that is true. It was not the point of my post.

DJI is not in violation of anything, they are perfectly illegal. They use a better technology thats all. Yuneec needs to up their game.

??????????

Tuna asks you what kind of antennas and how they are oriented and you answer that it doesn't matter? That's a nosense. You should be more careful when answering to someone who is trying to help you..........

And to say that DJI is not broadcasting with more power than legal is because you have not even bothered to look at how much power it emits, let's go that you have covered yourself with glory champion. Good riddance to you................

I never said antennas didn't matter, I said it didn't matter what antennas I was using (the issue was the same). You were so sure of what you wanted to say, it was not in the spirit of helping, it was in the spirit of showing everyone how "smart" you are. Give people a little credit before launching into your advice.

I'm sure DJI is breaking all kinds of regulations and the FCC certification they received is all a scam. You DJI haters are something else. Couldn't possibly be the one user modified drone that over rode the regulator and you are citing that in condemnation of the entire company. Don't tell me what I have and have not done, you don't know me. You sure can't take a little criticism, but self proclaimed experts usually can't. DJI simply has a better handle on this issue with better technology.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ernst