Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO

It's easy to assume that the 12 MP sensor in the EVO is just like the 12 MP sensor in the H. Its likely a 3 years newer sensor from Sony. It is very likely that it has a better glass lens and that the Ambarella H2 image processor makes a significant difference over what we see from the H's CGO3+.

If you're using the latest Sony 1" sensor with good glass and a very good image processor you will get results that are beyond what the smaller sensors can provide. This is quite obvious with low light video on both the H+ and the M2P. The Hasselblad camera on the M2P does look awesome especially with the control of the aperture. That's a leg up on the competition and they offer log video for those who really want to get the most out of color in post processing.

Autel seems to be on top of their firmware updates in improving the EVO so I'm still quite impressed by this bird despite not having flown one.

The question for most of us is which satisfies your needs (and wants). Its always about tradeoffs of some sort.

Reactions: Rubik and Barton
IMHO

It's easy to assume that the 12 MP sensor in the EVO is just like the 12 MP sensor in the H. Its likely a 3 years newer sensor from Sony. It is very likely that it has a better glass lens and that the Ambarella H2 image processor makes a significant difference over what we see from the H's CGO3+.

If you're using the latest Sony 1" sensor with good glass and a very good image processor you will get results that are beyond what the smaller sensors can provide. This is quite obvious with low light video on both the H+ and the M2P. The Hasselblad camera on the M2P does look awesome especially with the control of the aperture. That's a leg up on the competition and they offer log video for those who really want to get the most out of color in post processing.

Autel seems to be on top of their firmware updates in improving the EVO so I'm still quite impressed by this bird despite not having flown one.

The question for most of us is which satisfies your needs (and wants). Its always about tradeoffs of some sort.
If I needed a portable/folding drone right now, I would pop for the EVO in part because it is the only portable with 4K/60 fps and, as stated, seems to have good HDR. Since I don't have an immediate need, I'll wait to see if Autel follows through with their original announced plans for a 1" sensor version of the EVO. I assume this would absolutely have 4K/60 fps and if their pricing follows the presently available EVO, it should be very price competitive with the M2P.

Here's a real nice, (but long) 4K/60fps video from the EVO that looks fabulous. Very sharp, good color, natural saturation and no noticable fisheye distortion (straight horizon).
The EVO apparently has a digital zoom function. It just magnifies pixels but that could be useful for getting an enlarged view of something in the distance.
I noticed that it gets pushed around by the wind a bit. Otherwise, it looks very steady while hovering. The yaw function tended to drift either direction.
The operator was down among trees yet seemed to have a good video signal (by his running comments).
I wonder how much better a 1" sensor could be on this bird...

That's impressive. And mysteriously, it is the only 2160/60 video which has ever played smoothly on my rig (viewport matched to the video resolution). I did drop a few frames but didn't notice them at the time; and I did see some pan jitter (which the pilot notes is a fault that Autel seem to be working on).

I hate digital zoom with a passion but could imagine it being useful in some live-feedback scenarios, eg search and rescue.

There was some antialiasing but less than I see in most videos - and the integrity of the ground image as the drone descended to base impressed me a lot.

The colours look a little thin and unnatural to me (especially after viewing H Plus footage) but that is symptomatic of the GoPro generation of cameras.

But at UK£899, there's no denying that the Evo offers a lot of bang for the buck. I wonder if it's possible to fly it properly using only the 3in screen remote?

That's impressive. And mysteriously, it is the only 2160/60 video which has ever played smoothly on my rig (viewport matched to the video resolution). I did drop a few frames but didn't notice them at the time; and I did see some pan jitter (which the pilot notes is a fault that Autel seem to be working on).

I hate digital zoom with a passion but could imagine it being useful in some live-feedback scenarios, eg search and rescue.

There was some antialiasing but less than I see in most videos - and the integrity of the ground image as the drone descended to base impressed me a lot.

The colours look a little thin and unnatural to me (especially after viewing H Plus footage) but that is symptomatic of the GoPro generation of cameras.

But at UK£899, there's no denying that the Evo offers a lot of bang for the buck. I wonder if it's possible to fly it properly using only the 3in screen remote?

Richard Gilmore is a beta tester for the Evo. He would be the man to ask. He plays a lot with it

Reactions: rdonson and YuKay
If I needed a portable/folding drone right now, I would pop for the EVO in part because it is the only portable with 4K/60 fps and, as stated, seems to have good HDR. Since I don't have an immediate need, I'll wait to see if Autel follows through with their original announced plans for a 1" sensor version of the EVO. I assume this would absolutely have 4K/60 fps and if their pricing follows the presently available EVO, it should be very price competitive with the M2P.
OK, apparently I have poor impulse control (or really good planing abilities :) ) ... In looking at my schedule between now and December, if I wanted to take a debugged (ie, past the initial startup issues, etc) EVO to Bonaire in a couple of months, I needed to pull the trigger on the purchase soon. So, next Tuesday I should have an EVO arriving at my house.

I decided not to wait since the 1" EVO will clearly be more expensive and the recent 4K/60 vids convinced me that for my amateur purposes, the present video quality is certainly good enough for my needs. Also lurking in the back of my mind is the impact of the Trump tariffs which will likely raise the price of all drones (by how much I don't know), so might as well avoid that little slap in the face.

I wonder if it's possible to fly it properly using only the 3in screen remote?
The answer is No. The EVO can be flown using just the remote but only in Standard mode, ie with no access to Waypoints, Orbit, Dynamic Track, VR, or Viewpoint modes.

I read that the latest firmware upgrade has significantly improved the gimbal jitter problem - although the tilt still looks stuttery to me.

The "UK" website I linked to turns out to be a gray exporter operating out of the US, so buyers on this side of the pond may have warranty/repair problems.

Richard Gilmore has been kind of beta testing the EVO. He's located in Ireland, UK and working with a shop from the US. You can find his zany tests on YouTube. He pulls no punches and he's actually complementary of the EVO.

Richard Gilmore

Reactions: YuKay
Richard Gilmore has been kind of beta testing the EVO. He's located in Ireland, UK and working with a shop from the US. You can find his zany tests on YouTube. He pulls no punches and he's actually complementary of the EVO.

Richard Gilmore
I like his naturalistic/conversational delivery - even if he sometimes rambles on a bit. If he were James Joyce, it would be called a "stream of consciousness". And yes, he is no "see-no-evil" fanboy.

I hope you're still intact and above water. It looks pretty ugly there.

Reactions: rdonson
@YuKay

Thanks for thinking of me. So far we’re high and dry and in good shape. The next 24 hours are when we expect wind and rain to pick up. The forecast is for around 8” of more rain and gusts to 50 mph.

This goofy hurricane/storm is acting like a turtle and moving at 2 mph. It’s over 300 miles wide. That means it’s still picking up moisture from the ocean and dumping it across 2 states.

To put it in perspective North Carolina is 500 miles wide from west to east. The storm covers over half of NC and most of SC.

We’re already looking forward for it to go away.

Reactions: Rubik and YuKay
Marco Cenciarelli seems to have a beautiful Italian mountain range all to himself in this hyperactive 1080p video:

Richard Gilmore
Ron, thanks for the pointer to Richard. Fortunately, I subscribed to his channel a while ago so have benefited from his insights.

I hope all is going OK for you and the Florence rain.

Reactions: rdonson
@Barton thanks for thinking of me. We’re ok so far. The extreme winds and rainfall have thankfully been short here. The coastal areas have seen epic wind, rainfalls and flooding.

@Barton thanks for thinking of me. We’re ok so far. The extreme winds and rainfall have thankfully been short here. The coastal areas have seen epic wind, rainfalls and flooding.
Ron it's good to know you are safe and away from the worst of the weather

This thread is now 30 pages long which is well past it's usefulness methinks. I am closing it for further comment. Time to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval