Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
the opening of the lens (or rather the sensor) is well managed with the sun in front
Yes, and I really like the colours in the sky, which so often looks washed out.

But I'm seeing some stuttering in the video as though the SD card isn't capable of writing it to disk fast enough - especially in the faster, low altitude sequence across the water.

At faster drone speeds, and when panning, the capture system is under maximum stress because each frame is so much different to the preceding frame and therefore the amount of new data to be written is so much greater. At slow speeds, everything seems to work fine because the number of new pixels in each frame is much smaller.

I would be wondering again about the capabilities of the SD card being used; but this video is a Yuneec distributor production, presumably using the card supplied with the H Plus - or at least one which they think is up to the task.

Having noticed this issue on a few of my favourite H Plus videos, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't purchase until there's a cure.

I don't know how reliable this chart is but it seems to be telling me that peak 4k video capture (and presumably 50fps) needs a V60 card. So if the V60 isn't fully compatible with the H Plus, video stuttering may not be fixable without altering the compression algorithm (which in turn may make impossible demands on the processor). And if such a fix were possible, I would presumably be less happy with the quality of the resulting video.

MicroSD card chart for video.png

Last edited:
with thisupload_2018-7-17_12-57-5.jpeg never problem, on the T PLUS and GH5 (150 Mb/s)

Last edited:
with thisView attachment 10417 never problem, on the T PLUS and GH5 (150 Mb/s)
View attachment 10417
Good to know, Oliver. Have you shot much high-speed, heavy-panning footage at 4k50p? If I could see a short clip it would be even more reassuring.

150Mb/s = 19.5MB/s so your card is mid-table. That said, the C23 is rated 100Mb/s or 12MB/s so your card should be OK. In which case, where is the stuttering coming from? Does it mean that 100Mb/s is not enough to capture all the frames in 4k50p high-mph footage? 50 frames (per second) is a lot to squeeze into 12MB unless the pixels aren't changing much.

One thing to keep in mind is that cameras such as the Panny GH5, Oly, Sony, Fuji, etc buffer everything written to the SD card. We know nothing about the buffering that may or may not exist for the H Plus.

One thing to keep in mind is that cameras such as the Panny GH5, Oly, Sony, Fuji, etc buffer everything written to the SD card. We know nothing about the buffering that may or may not exist for the H Plus.
Yes Ron - it would be useful to know at what speed the buffer writes to the card as the problem could be there. One way or another it seems to me that not all frames are captured under peak loads; or that they are not being written to the card from the buffer.

Also the depth of the buffer. My friend’s Oly OM-D E-M1 Mark II has a quite large buffer that I think can buffer something like 50-60 still frames when shooting at top frame rates.

Oliver your card has a rated maximum write speed of 90 Mb/s... not 150.
@Eagle's Eye Video
90 MB/s, no 90Mb/s
90 MB/s <=> 720 Mb/s (90*8)
MegaBYTE MegaBit, that is the question ...
I tested this micro sd on GH5, no problem

And i use this card SD (2) on my GH5 with 150 Mb/s and no problem.
yet there is marked W60MB / s
upload_2018-7-17_17-29-5.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to know, Oliver. Have you shot much high-speed, heavy-panning footage at 4k50p? If I could see a short clip it would be even more reassuring.

150Mb/s = 19.5MB/s so your card is mid-table. That said, the C23 is rated 100Mb/s or 12MB/s so your card should be OK. In which case, where is the stuttering coming from? Does it mean that 100Mb/s is not enough to capture all the frames in 4k50p high-mph footage? 50 frames (per second) is a lot to squeeze into 12MB unless the pixels aren't changing much.
I always shoot in 4K 50p
I did during the first tests 360 ° panoramas at very high speed, there is no card problem !

Sorry I did not capitalize the "B"... however the Sandisk Extreme does specify a max write speed of 90MB/s... my apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Extreme microSD Card | SanDisk

Yes, and I really like the colours in the sky, which so often looks washed out.

But I'm seeing some stuttering in the video as though the SD card isn't capable of writing it to disk fast enough - especially in the faster, low altitude sequence across the water.

At faster drone speeds, and when panning, the capture system is under maximum stress because each frame is so much different to the preceding frame and therefore the amount of new data to be written is so much greater. At slow speeds, everything seems to work fine because the number of new pixels in each frame is much smaller.

I would be wondering again about the capabilities of the SD card being used; but this video is a Yuneec distributor production, presumably using the card supplied with the H Plus - or at least one which they think is up to the task.

Having noticed this issue on a few of my favourite H Plus videos, I'm starting to think that I shouldn't purchase until there's a cure.
There are several things we don't know about this video:
Was the video recorded at 3840x2160x30p, 100 Mb/s and down-converted to 1920x1080x30p? That and a mediocre card could explain any stuttering.
The colors were so realistic, was the recording in Natural setting?
Also, I see you have to be real careful about getting the props in the view. That's one reason I usually tip the camera down a bit with the horizon about 1/3 screen from the top. Although, the sky is very beautiful in this clip!

with thisView attachment 10417 never problem, on the T PLUS and GH5 (150 Mb/s)
Hands-on experience matters more than all the techno-babble written about SD cards; but AIUI, the only way going forward to guarantee the minimum write speed necessary for 4k video is to buy a card rated V30, eg:

Screen Shot 2018-07-17 at 20.20.29.png

The speed rating flagged on a card (95MB/s in this case) is the maximum speed under perfect conditions which isn't very helpful as videographers should be concerned with the minimum sustained write speed speed.

Some insight here from someone who knows much more about it than I do.

Last edited:
Agreed YuKay... one of the reasons I invested in a V60 card, though those speed cards are only available in a UHS-II format... what I have not ever to been able to find is how much is the write speed of my V60 card reduced, when used in a UHS-I camera (which the C23 is).

I know we are having a good old yarn here about the H+ and its capabilities but I was surprisingly happy with the end result of this wedding film I recently completed with the H520.

I have started a thread on the 520 page but thought I’d share it here too.

Reactions: rdonson
I know we are having a good old yarn here about the H+ and its capabilities but I was surprisingly happy with the end result of this wedding film I recently completed with the H520.

I have started a thread on the 520 page but thought I’d share it here too.

Your clients and their family/friends must be very pleased with your video. Weddings come so slowly and pass so quickly, it's often hard to remember just what happened. This is why video can be a wonderful record of the event.
You made me very nervous flying so close to crowds. Was the noise from the 520 distracting for the guests?

Your clients and their family/friends must be very pleased with your video. Weddings come so slowly and pass so quickly, it's often hard to remember just what happened. This is why video can be a wonderful record of the event.
You made me very nervous flying so close to crowds. Was the noise from the 520 distracting for the guests?

Thanks fo the kind words Rubik

There was only 1 moment which lasted 10 seconds where I was flying backwards over the guests.
That particular moment was planned to precision with an emergency procedure in place which all guests were briefed on. I flew right over the aisle so in the unlikely event of a complete motor failure it would have fallen into the aisle. In the event of toilet bowling another safety measure was in place and all guests gave permission and understood procedures.
Other than that no direct overflight took place.

As for the noise it wasn’t too bad as it was a slow gentle pullback. It all went rather well.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Agreed YuKay... one of the reasons I invested in a V60 card, though those speed cards are only available in a UHS-II format... what I have not ever to been able to find is how much is the write speed of my V60 card reduced, when used in a UHS-I camera (which the C23 is).
My research says that UHS-II should perform as UHS-I if used in a UHS-I device. But we may all be buying UHS-II devices before long.

Of the many articles I have read - some of which written by the SD Card Association and by the major card manufacturers were unhelpful to say the least since they seem to hate talking about minimum write speeds - this one from Phototraces is easily the best imho. It's my go-to "Memory Cards for Dummies" reference. Who knew that the Lexar 633x U1 SDXC card which proudly claims a speed of up to 95MB/s has a maximum write speed of only 20MB/s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerfectPlanqa