Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The C23 JPG looks like it was shot in "Gorgeous" mode. Overly sharpened, high contrast and saturation. Yeeech!

Also, note how the branches on the far right of image 1 extend further to the right than in the other two images. This suggests to me that the C23 in-camera JPEG has been slightly trimmed and the remaining pixels scaled up to compensate.

Reactions: PatR
Shouldn’t be too hard to write code that sequentially numbers files upwards while they’re at it. If a 5 year old can touch their fingers and count upwards Yuneec should be able to do the same with their file sequencing. Everyone else can.

Last edited:
This is a good read on image sharpening - and includes an example of the Yuneec JPEG fail.

If the C23 JPEG has indeed been cropped slightly and then upscaled to fill the space, it's possible that it has been sharpened twice in the camera, which could explain the resulting ugly image.

Reactions: Rubik and PatR
Informative article in and of itself. Following the rest of the subject series even more so. Thanks for posting it[emoji106]

Last edited:
This is a good read on image sharpening - and includes an example of the Yuneec JPEG fail.

If the C23 JPEG has indeed been cropped slightly and then upscaled to fill the space, it's possible that it has been sharpened twice in the camera, which could explain the resulting ugly image.

The article on sharpening is good. I will stress though that sharpening needs to be applied selectively not globally. That is likely covered in follow ons of this article.

The article on sharpening is good. I will stress though that sharpening needs to be applied selectively not globally. That is likely covered in follow ons of this article.
Agree, Ron - and the point is well made in another article in that series. Sharpening also increases contrast and the C23 JPEG has clearly had a lot of it. I hate to think how much (or often) sharpening was applied in the camera to produce those pronounced halos. I ran the DNG through a low radius Unsharp Mask at 200% (see below - my resulting JPEG - at "High" quality - was just over half the file size of the C23 JPEG) and couldn't get halos so the C23 is aggressive and then some. (I did also play around with saturation, exposure, contrast and curves for about 10 seconds…)

PS 9MB JPEG from C23 DNG.png

Reactions: rdonson
Agree, Ron - and the point is well made in another article in that series. Sharpening also increases contrast and the C23 JPEG has clearly had a lot of it. I hate to think how much (or often) sharpening was applied in the camera to produce those pronounced halos. I ran the DNG through a low radius Unsharp Mask at 200% (see below - my resulting JPEG - at "High" quality - was just over half the file size of the C23 JPEG) and couldn't get halos so the C23 is aggressive and then some. (I did also play around with saturation, exposure, contrast and curves for about 10 seconds…)

View attachment 10402
That looks much better than the in-camera effects already!
I found the articles about sharpening to be very informative. Even though I don't use PhotoShop, the software I use (PhotoDirector and PaintShopPro) have very similar tools that I understand better now. Thanks for posting the link.

Reactions: YuKay
That looks much better than the in-camera effects already!
I found the articles about sharpening to be very informative. Even though I don't use PhotoShop, the software I use (PhotoDirector and PaintShopPro) have very similar tools that I understand better now. Thanks for posting the link.
Thanks Rubik. The in-camera JPEG is obviously broken - although I would like to see one from the H520 just to be sure that it's not a universal /unfixable issue.

It beats me what Yuneec/Sony thought users would want to do with grotesquely sharpened 15MB JPEGs which are ruined beyond any Photoshop rescue. To be fair, it obviously isn't Sony's problem as their camera takes excellent photographs. But I assume they would have tried to work with Yuneec on the algorithms.

It’s not Sony. Their cameras don’t do that in JPG. It’s 100% Yuneec. They still haven’t figured out the drone and camera combination has to function as a flying camera. A reasonably well made drone is easy to set up to do many things but if it’s intended to fly a camera the emphasis has to be on the product the camera delivers. Failure to understand that puts manufacturer behind any manufacturer that does.

At the moment the $700.00 Anafi is smoking the H Plus. Yuneec has to get off their asses and make some fast corrections if they want to survive.

Unfortunately though the Anafi has a very dangerous rth height of 20m which cannot be changed at all. Now I know a lot of buildings and trees that are higher than that. Just one fault of the anafi

That, the small camera sensor, and requirement to use a phone or tablet are the only detractors I’ve read of significance. In all probability the RTH will get handled in later firmware. Those that have been with Yuneec for a long time will remember having a 10m RTH limitation with the Q-500, Typhoon 4k, Chroma, AND the original Typhoon H release.

The point I’m trying to make is that other makers are putting out new systems with good cameras and more automated flight functionality, for smaller aircraft, for less money. Yuneec can’t be competitive in price so they absolutely must provide more value for the money spent.

People are making purchase decisions based on price, what the system can do, camera performance, and portability. If you are selling the largest system at the highest price with camera issues and limited automated functionality compared to all the rest, and you’re slow to release corrections and upgrades, where will the potential customers go? You or the competition? You can’t intend to stay in business if your only claim to fame is not being made by DJI.

Don’t count out the Autel EVO yet. Beta testers are seeing updates that are addressing the issues found. The 4K 60 fps looks decent so far for a small sensor.

Autel still says they will eventually release a version with a 1” sensor.

I think the H Plus will be a really great platform in 3-6 months if Yuneec addresses its issues. I do plan on buying one towards the end of the year if they do.

I really like the H platform but I’m also looking for a more portable drone to add to the stable.

Take all this with the knowledge that I’m an amateur. I fly and take videos and stills for the love of it.

Reactions: Rubik
Autel has but to release a 1” sensor and Yuneec will be hurting. Let’s face it, Yuneec has released what’s essentially the same drone 3 times and carried problems from the first one through to the last.

@PatR with all due respect, I think you overstate things. If the EVO does gain a 1” sensor it will impact DJI far more.

There is no comparison between the H Plus and the EVO. It’s capabilities are far, far, far beyond the EVO or the Mavic Pro.

We can only wait and see. It certainly won’t break my heart to see Evo put a little hurt on the Mavic tho.

As for over stating, perhaps, perhaps not. What Yuneec does to handle bent pictures, clean up JPGs, add cruise control and GPS options will determine that. It’s got the dynamic range to get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
x640536786