Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video from the C23 and H Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
To say that I find anything that the president of the US says worth listening to would be a gross overstatement. I'm hoping he'll get to say "goodbye" after the 2020 election. From my point of view he is an embarrassment to an otherwise good country that values its allies a lot more than kissing the backsides of dictators.

Now, on to learning about Compressor. For me that will be far more engaging than anything DJT will have to say.

Firing up iBook to read the User Guide.

Last edited:
@YuKay So..... if I understand you correctly you take the video files from the CGO3+ or C23 and transcode them first to ProRes before doing any editing on them, right?

We can take this offline if you'd prefer so I don't hog this thread.

Yes Ron. Here is your choice of transcoding codecs. The best for 4k H.264 footage is probably Apple ProRes 422 but play around with a small test file.

And here is a short tutorial to get you started.

And here, when you have the time and stomach for it, is a rambling but useful essay on converting drone footage to the optimal format for editing, including two unnecessarily long videos, a few rants and a big argument.

If he has his way, your President (currently dining at Blenheim Palace, 20 miles from where I sit) will force y'all to buy only Ford and Chrysler vehicles by slapping big taxes on those imports.

But he might finally convince Fiat to make a reliable car, as Ford more or less did with Jaguar...

Yes Ron. Here is your choice of transcoding codecs. The best for 4k H.264 footage is probably Apple ProRes 422 but play around with a small test file.

And here is a short tutorial to get you started.

And here, when you have the time and stomach for it, is a rambling but useful essay on converting drone footage to the optimal format for editing, including two unnecessarily long videos, a few rants and a big argument.

Thank you so much, YuKay!!! It seems like you've opened a door for me.

Reactions: YuKay
But he might finally convince Fiat to make a reliable car, as Ford more or less did with Jaguar...

Don't lose site of the fact that most "foreign" brand autos sold in the US are actually built in the US. The last article I read said their was more US content in Toyotas here than in Fords.

There’s at least one critical component in Ford trucks that comes from Toyota. The Triton V-8;). **** fine engines. I have two of them.

In truth, American autos are comprised of components sourced from several countries. About the only All American car is the one built from scratch in a custom shop. All the rest should say they were assembled in the USA.

As an after thought perhaps I should mention we did our version of Brexit a little over 200 years ago. For the past couple decades some have been trying to reintegrate us but that was brought to a screeching halt two years ago.

There’s at least one critical component in Ford trucks that comes from Toyota. The Triton V-8;). **** fine engines. I have two of them.

In truth, American autos are comprised of components sourced from several countries. About the only All American car is the one built from scratch in a custom shop. All the rest should say they were assembled in the USA.

As an after thought perhaps I should mention we did our version of Brexit a little over 200 years ago. For the past couple decades some have been trying to reintegrate us but that was brought to a screeching halt two years ago.

Don’t overlook how the Confederacy tried their own version of Brexit. We’re still trying to solve that mess.

Indeed, some are still angry over problems long resolved. Funny part of all that is none of them, or us, had direct involvement with the era. Many have to decide if they want to grow or wallow. The opportunity to grow is vastly better than it would have been had the victors been reversed.

Here is a small comparison between the C23 and the GH5 with 12-35 lens 2.8.
Photo and video take exactly the same time.

The video C23 is 4K 60p because it has lost the initial setting (50p). I now have to check it every time I start (bug). Picture and video adjustment in normal mode, WB auto Iso auto.

The video of the GH5 is in 4K 50p 150 Mb / s, standard setting, priority to the opening (2.8). Photos are in auto mode (iso, speed, etc.)

I leave you to have fun with

download here: https://we.tl/NgJe2GA4vT

Reactions: YuKay
Here is a small comparison between the C23 and the GH5 with 12-35 lens 2.8.
Photo and video take exactly the same time.

The video C23 is 4K 60p because it has lost the initial setting (50p). I now have to check it every time I start (bug). Picture and video adjustment in normal mode, WB auto Iso auto.

The video of the GH5 is in 4K 50p 150 Mb / s, standard setting, priority to the opening (2.8). Photos are in auto mode (iso, speed, etc.)

I leave you to have fun with

download here: https://we.tl/NgJe2GA4vT
Thank you, oliver: these interest me. I don't have a 4k camera and I was particularly impressed by the 8MB JPEGs from the GH5 which contain fewer objectionable artifacts than the 15MB JPEGs from the C23… Oddly, for me, the smallest of the C23 JPEG files (4.5MB) is the most acceptable JPEG from the C23 since it minimises the harsh halo effect seen in the larger files.

Could you please remind me what the differences are between the differently sized JPEGs?

_1000092.JPG = origin Panasonic
_1000092_1.jpg = _1000092.RW2 open with Photoshop and record in JPEG without retouch
YUN_0001.JPG = origin C23
YUN_0001_1.jpg = YUN_0001.DNG open with Photoshop and record in JPEG without retouch

YUN_0001.JPG = origin C23
YUN_0001_1.jpg = YUN_0001.DNG open with Photoshop and record in JPEG without retouch
Thanks oliver. That means I prefer the 4.5MB Photoshop-compressed DNG to the 15MB C23 JPEG produced in the camera. Hmm…looks to me like there's something wrong with the C23's JPEG algorithm.

What Photoshop JPEG compression level did you use?

Last edited:
Thanks oliver. That means I prefer the 4.5MB Photoshop-compressed DNG to the 15MB C23 JPEG produced in the camera. Hmm…looks to me like there's something wrong with the C23's JPEG algorithm.

What Photoshop JPEG compression level did you use?
Yes, the C23 JPEG is not very good, you must absloluty use DNG.
I recorded the JPEG in 350 dpi, but i have not search the best setup

Yes, the C23 JPEG is not very good, you must absloluty use DNG.
I recorded the JPEG in 350 dpi, but i have not search the best setup
I finally got a chance to review and compare your files from RX100, GH5 and C23. Good work, Oliver!
I agree with you and YuKay that the C23 .jpg files are not as good as those from the handheld cameras. But the edited .dng files compare very favorably with the handheld cameras tested. Good quality, edge to edge. Perhaps the sharpness on the C23 can be turned down a bit to clean up the .jpg images. The C23 video looks good but also a bit oversharpened compared to the GH5 clip. Has anyone found a way to reset sharpness?

I haven't found how to reduce the sharpening but hope we can either find a way, and I also agree the Jpeg's are pretty crappy but the DNG is just what you would expect. I don't how you could make the jpeg look so bad when what you have to work with is so good but then again we are talking about Yuneec and a new aircraft so hopefully they will iron out some of the bugs.

I have compared a slice of oliver's C23 DNG and JPEG images side by side:
Good observation, YuKay. The PS .jpg compression apparently does a better job of maintaining the fidelity of the .dng image than the Yuneec compression. Although, if you look ridiculously close, you will see some .jpg compression artifacts and aliasing, just what you would expect from and image with 13% as much data.
If I understand correctly, photo 3 has not had any enhancements applied. The .dng image can be much improved by reducing the brightness of the blown out bright areas to bring out the details in the roof and sky, by adding a little sharpness, by adding a little saturation and by correcting for fisheye distortion.

Too bad Yuneec insists on requiring a JPG be recorded along with a DNG. That puts an awful lot of undesired crap on the card for a day’s shooting.

Many current and future purchasers would be very happy, were that lapse in judgement solved in a firmware update... and frankly with that quality, they should just go ahead and make DNG the default. For myself, I will delete all JPGs immediately anyway... just to not be embarrassed :oops:

Allow the user to add JPG format if needed to immediately provide files. Given whats been posted here why would you ever do that? Like an image format converter is hard to find?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy