Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video loss

Reaction score
I’m sorry if there is another post on this I’ve been digging and can’t seem to find one.

I’m a noob (with the big boy drones) I have a q500 4K cgo3 and st10+. Purchased used from reliable source

I seem to be losing video loss around 4-500ft out @300’ vertical. It will lose signal but then regains after a few seconds. And continues to drop and reconnect at that range I just don’t think that is normal. I’m in a “semi country” setting, I don’t think there is a lot of interference. I was wondering if there is something I’m doing wrong. I’m watching countless videos and reviews and everyone seems to be getting 1000ft+ out and still keeping video is there any settings or configurations I need hopefully that’s enough info to possibly to help me out thanks for al the input!!!

For what it's worth, that's about what I get on a similar setup. The only setup difference is I use extended range antenna, and boosters on both control and WiFi channels, and that's still about all I get.

I was gonna say - that sounds pretty typical - the Q500 is not a long range craft, or not without help.

Michigan middle of the state
USA
Ok, I only ask in case you were in the UK or EU, where the video transmission is limited to a quarter of what it's meant to be for CE compliance reasons. That plays merry **** with the range.

Lots of things can influence your wifi reception and transmissions.
Trees,buildings,hills or any other obstruction will obviously have bad effects on the signal. And as you mentioned there is unseen frequency interference too.
Range extenders and mods can help to improve the situation.
Also to note is even if you lose video in the box the camera is still recording.
Good luck and happy flying,
Jafo
Look here:

Thanks everyone!! To add to that question does the video distance correspond to what the bird will actually travel? (Not planning on taking it much further than video signal) but in some instance will the RTH still work say 100-200ft past video signal?

Rickeylee, could you please tell me what type of computer setup you're using to edit 4k? I have never been able to do it successfully. While 1080p is great, I bought 4k, I'd like to use 4k.

As far as range, I've had my old duct taped, battle scared Q500 out at 2,000+ feet. It definitely loses signal but the remedy is simple patience. Let it sit out there in hover & invisible. It'll reaquire video signal. Shoot what you can while you can because you'll lose it over & over but patience my boy! Patience! Oh....watch that battery display too.

Video and control are two different signals.
Control is on 2.4 ghz which travels much farther than a 5 ghz signal for video.
You will lose video long before you lose control.
So yes, RTH will work if there is no video signal.

You can see about how far legal allows.
This is about Geo Fencing.
Find me at George Wherry at YouTube

Last edited:
I can not show what I wanted, because of bad software.
ZenForo (TM)

Are you trying to link to your video about geofencing ? Just hit the share button in YouTube then copy the link and paste it into a thread like this...

Video and control are two different signals.
Control is on 2.4 ghz which travels much farther than a 5 ghz signal for video.
You will lose video long before you lose control.
So yes, RTH will work if there is no video signal.

Thank you Jalo for explaining that! Just for your info from the info received by the knowledgeable folks here, I've been having great success using my two drones together taking video of each other while in hover (very close!) to following each other in trail etc....adds a whole new perspective & dimension. All you gotta' do is be careful or things could get expensive. I'll post a video soon. Thanks again!

Thought I would add this bit too....
If you lose control connection with the Q, you will lose telemetry on the transmitter as well.
The Q will then stop in a hover on it's own and wait and try to make contact again.
If no connection is re established the Q will RTH on it's own.
I have tested this claim by Yuneec myself and it does work well.
Happy flying,
Jafo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz