Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Pixelization

There are a number of similar reports from the dark side and the problem was usually fixed by one of:

a) a new cable from the RC to the mobile device;
b) switching to the USB or micro USB port on the RC;
c) switching to an IOS device from Android.

We´re talking about the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus. No External smart devices are needed here, as the ST16S is a "All in One" Controller ;-) You´re talking about DJI ;-)

True - but their symptoms were the same. And their fixes may provide a clue as to where the problem lies - albeit internally in the case of the ST16S.

Or could 4g be the problem? It has caused pixellation and breakup of TV pictures - in the UK at least.

Reactions: Darksmile
It could be another heat issue. Video transmitters get pretty darn hot and lacking good ventilation and cooling air flow lose power over time.

Screenshot_2018-11-04-15-36-54.png

Update to the pixelization issue.

As can be seen above, the issue remains with the new 777 update. The H is facing me; I am 150 feet away, with another person riding a bike on a gravel path close to me. I can barely make out the trees, scarcely the rider and myself not at all. Previously I could see the myself from several hundred feet out and any other people and details.

Todays flight was all about testing for this issue. I went back to my testing grounds I have used since 2013 and know very well. Tried the two Yuneec 5.8 antennae, a Fatshark patch, a cross-hair and the Intelite DBS; they all essentially performed the same. The pixelization is now effectively apparent prior to the H getting in the air, but not as bad.

I will go ahead and contact Yuneec and proceed from there.

The video is fine, and the H fly's fine; it is just the video feed. I suspect a blown video transmitter in the H.

Reactions: Ty Pilot and oliver
Hello
here are some sequences recovered on the ST16S. FYI, the bit rate of the recorded file is 2 Mb/s. I am generally placed at less than 100m from the T PLUS, and on the last sequence, I see myself on the left .
I will send this video to Yuneec EU to get their opinion.

I suspect a blown video transmitter in the H.

I think you're right. I fly over water nearly every time I fly and out to over 1000 feet, and sometimes only 25 to 50 feet in the air at those distances and my screen is as clear as it is when 10 feet away. Granted - I am not flying in some sort of urban jungle (RPR);) but those screen shots look awful, something has to be defective or going bad.

Reactions: record.play.rewind
Windluv,

I think you may be on to something. Just for conversation, video transmitters fail for three primary reasons, excessive heat, exceeding voltage maximums, and transmitting without an antenna. Of course things like component quality and assembly practices are present as well. If the sourced parts are not up to snuff they would work for awhile and fail over time. If they are constrained inside a tight space without the ability to be cooled while in use they will fail over time.

As some are experiencing this problem, apparently by people that use the Plus a lot but few that use them only a little, it might well be a use stress failure of the vTx.

I agree Pat. Just for the record, I have around 130 flights at the moment averaging 14 minutes per flight for a total of 1820 minutes or just over 30 hours of operation. While some one that is flying day in and day out; may have much more time. I will be flying later today and will get a screen shot to post.

My thoughts are leaning towards some of these video transmitters are just failing early. All of my flights have been performed in the hottest time of the year here in Florida so it is exposed to the upper end of the operational heat spectrum.

Hello
here are some sequences recovered on the ST16S. FYI, the bit rate of the recorded file is 2 Mb/s. I am generally placed at less than 100m from the T PLUS, and on the last sequence, I see myself on the left .
I will send this video to Yuneec EU to get their opinion.

Oliver,

Your sample looks a lot like my E50. I should say my 4 E50s.

The last one was exchanged specifically for this issue. While better than the previous, it still has this “less than ultimate usable video feed” issue.

I have exchanged every component in my current H520 kit, so I am at a loss as to whether it’s hardware, software/firmware as in “a single copy failure” or whether the product line has an issue.

I have been intending to start a specific E50 thread to explore the above, calling on fellow E50 owners to weigh in, but just haven’t gotten around to it. If I can’t get around to recording my own sample screen video, I may have to ask permission to reference yours!

This thread is giving me some needed motivation to do just that, before I contemplate the shipping back and forth dance again.

Will be watching this thread for more feedback as well.

Jeff

P.s. is this is another example of backtracking from the H480? The video feed from my two 480s simply blows people away (in a good way).

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Oliver,

Your sample looks a lot like my E50. I should say my 4 E50s.

The last one was exchanged specifically for this issue. While better than the previous, it still has this “less than ultimate usable video feed” issue.

I have exchanged every component in my current H520 kit, so I am at a loss as to whether it’s hardware, software/firmware as in “a single copy failure” or whether the product line has an issue.

I have been intending to start a specific E50 thread to explore the above, calling on fellow E50 owners to weigh in, but just haven’t gotten around to it. If I can’t get around to recording my own sample screen video, I may have to ask permission to reference yours!

This thread is giving me some needed motivation to do just that, before I contemplate the shipping back and forth dance again.

Will be watching this thread for more feedback as well.

Jeff

P.s. is this is another example of backtracking from the H480? The video feed from my two 480s simply blows people away (in a good way).

Jeff,
You can use this video as you see fit (it is not listed). I mounted it for Yuneec Europe, just to get things done.
You also have the possibility to recover on your ST16 your videos which are systematically recorded in:
Computer \ anzhen4_mrd7_w \ Internal storage \ Yuneec \ YuneecImage

NorWisc.

It’s pretty common for manufacturers to beat down supplier pricing to the lowest possible level. Beat on suppliers hard enough and many will look for ways to reduce their costs in order to retain the account. When companies reduce prices the last sacrifice made is profit margin so what has to be put on the table to retain that margin? Labor in rate or time, component quality and therefore component cost, improving manufacturing processes? Which might be the fastest, least costly to the vendor, easiest way?

I think you're right. I fly over water nearly every time I fly and out to over 1000 feet, and sometimes only 25 to 50 feet in the air at those distances and my screen is as clear as it is when 10 feet away. Granted - I am not flying in some sort of urban jungle (RPR);) but those screen shots look awful, something has to be defective or going bad.

Mine is not evident in the video output, but rather in the inflight video feed to the ST16s (and more) I dislike Build 777 this is a step backwards.

Today, I've reverted back to Build 757, I only have a drift problem, with occasional lag and predictable pixilation. I can live with this build for now, and I've "never cried" "Nag" or constantly "complain" and has stayed silent about this build. LOL.

Reactions: AH-1G
The video I put online is with version 757...I think it is rather a transmitter problem (the most fragile) and with the original antennas

This thread is also symbolic of why I am ever so hesitant to update f
Mine is not evident in the video output, but rather in the inflight video feed to the ST16s (and more) I dislike Build 777 this is a step backwards.

Today, I've reverted back to Build 757, I only have a drift problem, with occasional lag and predictable pixilation. I can live with this build for now, and I've "never cried" "Nag" or constantly "complain" and has stayed silent about this build. LOL.

Yep, I get that - it is the ST-16 image is the one pixelated. A while back I remember making in a post (forget the thread) about holding off of new updates. . . .this is why. ;)

Here is a shot from this afternoon, only about 760 feet out, I was at the other end of the pond and can not fly over this end any further but; it stays pretty constant no matter my distance.

Screenshot_2018-11-06-13-26-08.png

Reactions: Rubik
Just keeping the thread alive with an update.

Yuneec sent the drone back on 12/24. My last conversation with the KAV repair in Kansas in mid December was they were 'waiting for a camera part' which sounds like a VTX possibly. About a 7 week turnaround. I was out on vacation until last week over the holidays and was not able to pick up the H+. With the constant rain in California I have not been able to test fly. I had been expecting to have the drone with me over the holidays as I was traveling with my fiancée down the coast to San Diego. So, instead I picked up a simple mirrorless Fuji digital camera; I have not really shot seriously since the mid 80's (Leica M4-M6 series with film). Wow, these digital things are so frigging good. I think it will pair exceptionally well with the H+ on my journeys. I added a portable field flash strobe and this is the result on the second day of shooting. Just needed the H for some overfly shoots. (Really just showing of my girl and how incredible the photo equipment is, including the C23. Just amazing.).

If it is dry this weekend I will do a test flight.

Attachments

• DSCF1633.JPG
    12.2 MB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guardianangelstowing