Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Settings In the H Plus and YouTube

Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Got my H Plus this summer. Great way to enter this forum by posting that mine dropped out of the sky on it's second flight. :eek: The good news is Yuneec was great about replacing it and I'm flying again without incident (knock on wood.) I'm still seeing about these drones dropping out of the sky. But I digress …

How do most of you have your video resolution set in your St.16 software settings for the drone: 4096x2160 or 2840x3160? Those are the two options. I've been using the first but no particular reason. I suppose I need to try the second, but maybe you can save me the trouble.

Coded Format choices are: H264 or H265. I've been using 264. Thoughts? I have no idea what any of these numbers or options mean.

Finally, I'm not having much luck uploading 4K to YouTube. I mentioned this previously. Maybe half my attempts have been successful, not because it won't upload but because of how it looks when it's completed. What I view on my 4K monitor after processing the video in PowerDirector16 and playing it back using Windows Media Player are far superior to the results I'm getting with YT. In fact, it's so bad I delete in on my YT channel.
I compare the uploads to YT with my 4K uploads to Facebook which are WAY better. I don't get it. YouTube makes a living at video. Why would my uploads to FB be better reproductions? Something is amiss somewhere and I still don't get it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Well, I'm back. Got my H Plus this summer. Great way to enter this forum by posting that mine dropped out of the sky on it's second flight. :eek: The good news is Yuneec was great about replacing it and I'm flying again without incident (knock on wood.) I'm still seeing about these drones dropping out of the sky. But I digress …

How do most of you have your video resolution set in your St.16 software settings for the drone: 4096x2160 or 2840x3160? Those are the two options. I've been using the first but no particular reason. I suppose I need to try the second, but maybe you can save me the trouble.

Coded Format choices are: H264 or H265. I've been using 264. Thoughts? I have no idea what any of these numbers or options mean.

Finally, I'm not having much luck uploading 4K to YouTube. I mentioned this previously. Maybe half my attempts have been successful, not because it won't upload but because of how it looks when it's completed. What I view on my 4K monitor after processing the video in PowerDirector16 and playing it back using Windows Media Player are far superior to the results I'm getting with YT. In fact, it's so bad I delete in on my YT channel.
I compare the uploads to YT with my 4K uploads to Facebook which are WAY better. I don't get it. YouTube makes a living at video. Why would my uploads to FB be better reproductions? Something is amiss somewhere and I still don't get it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Glad you got number 2 and she's working - quick question, what is the firmeware version if you please. Now back to your questions.

First of all the standard aspect ratio across many formats is 16 x 9. 1920 x 1080 yeilds a 16 x 9 aspect as does 3840 x 2160 which is double the size and four times the volume of 1080. The other aspect ration you mention is 17 x 9. (not sure about the 2840 x 3160 - may be a typo)

You tube will compress your upload thus reducing quality. In the end, as you get used to pixel peaking your 4K video from the C23 videos right out of the camera, everything else will start to look bad. What you want to aim for is a comparative quality with other C23 upload on the same site such as Youtube.

In another conversation we had I mentioned how to get Power Director to output a file size as big or bigger that the original footage so that you could maximize what is seen on YT. In addition I think I posted the necessary codecs and render settings to get the most out of a YT playback but in case it was missed here it is again. Your 30 FPS 4K rendered video out of Power Director or any other editor should have a file size of at least 450 to 500 MB per minute, if it doesn't you're leaving too much quality out of the render.

EncodeSettings.jpg

My apologies for not following up on your previous reply. I got distracted and then forgot. No excuses.

Attached is the firmware readout currently on my ST16.

Yes, the number I shared in my post was a typo. You are correct.
What about the 4096x2160 option? Do you recommend the 3840 over the 4096?

Again, sorry. I will look at your info (this time) and see if I can determine anything that I'm doing wrong. I appreciate your patience.
I've not changed settings in the drone or on YT and yet I had one decent upload to YT. If it worked for one, I'm not sure why it didn't work for the others. o_O
I'll let you know if I get it worked out.

Thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Glad you got number 2 and she's working - quick question, what is the firmeware version if you please. Now back to your questions.

First of all the standard aspect ratio across many formats is 16 x 9. 1920 x 1080 yeilds a 16 x 9 aspect as does 3840 x 2160 which is double the size and four times the volume of 1080. The other aspect ration you mention is 17 x 9. (not sure about the 2840 x 3160 - may be a typo)

You tube will compress your upload thus reducing quality. In the end, as you get used to pixel peaking your 4K video from the C23 videos right out of the camera, everything else will start to look bad. What you want to aim for is a comparative quality with other C23 upload on the same site such as Youtube.

In another conversation we had I mentioned how to get Power Director to output a file size as big or bigger that the original footage so that you could maximize what is seen on YT. In addition I think I posted the necessary codecs and render settings to get the most out of a YT playback but in case it was missed here it is again. Your 30 FPS 4K rendered video out of Power Director or any other editor should have a file size of at least 450 to 500 MB per minute, if it doesn't you're leaving too much quality out of the render.

View attachment 11242
P.S. I'm doing 60 FPS. Do you recommend fewer?

My apologies for not following up on your previous reply. I got distracted and then forgot. No excuses.

Attached is the firmware readout currently on my ST16.

Yes, the number I shared in my post was a typo. You are correct.
What about the 4096x2160 option? Do you recommend the 3840 over the 4096?

Again, sorry. I will look at your info (this time) and see if I can determine anything that I'm doing wrong. I appreciate your patience.
I've not changed settings in the drone or on YT and yet I had one decent upload to YT. If it worked for one, I'm not sure why it didn't work for the others. o_O
I'll let you know if I get it worked out.

Thanks.

No worries its an opportunity to put this in front of some who have missed it.

P.S. I'm doing 60 FPS. Do you recommend fewer?

Hmm, my own opinion is that 60 FPS played back at 60 FPS is not necessarily better than the same video captured and played back at 30 FPS. I know you got a new computer with a card that can read and display that frame rate smoothly but many who will watch your video on YT or Vimeo or whatever, do not and so they will not be able to view the larger sizes such as 2K and 4K at those rates without stumbling some will struggle at 1080. On the other hand, the argument then goes - but for those that can view, does the picture look better? Personally I don't think it does. It does cut down subtle motion blur and makes the image appear sharper and if that is a look you want then go for it.

High frame rates allow for smooth slow motion. They are used throughout TV and Motion pictures but, at normal speeds to achieve slow motion. All forms of TV and Motion Pictures around the world are running at speeds between 24 and 30 FPS because that is the closest to how our eyes perceive the world around us.

I just did a quick search for an example of how high frame rates are used in the industry and here is a video that contains several different commercials. The first one in particular is your run-of-the-mill modern commercial. In the first 30 seconds there is use of 30, 60 and 120 FPS clips but all are played back at the standard tv rate here in the states (NTSC) of 29.97.

Reactions: rdonson

View attachment 11242

1920x1080 (in PD) has three choices:
24, 30, or 120p Which is best? Is that number (with the P) related to frame rate, because, if so, I have had mine FPS @60. I don't see where there's a place to select that in PD "Produce."

Also, do you check the "Fast video rendering tech. SVRT? or Hardware video encoder?

Always match the source material so if you record in 30 - edit and render in 30. The exception (and PD currently cannot do this to my knowledge) is when you have a high frame rate clip such as 60 fps and you want the editor to interpret that footage at 30. This is what is done in that video above.

Hmm, my own opinion is that 60 FPS played back at 60 FPS is not necessarily better than the same video captured and played back at 30 FPS. I know you got a new computer with a card that can read and display that frame rate smoothly but many who will watch your video on YT or Vimeo or whatever, do not and so they will not be able to view the larger sizes such as 2K and 4K at those rates without stumbling some will struggle at 1080. On the other hand, the argument then goes - but for those that can view, does the picture look better? Personally I don't think it does. It does cut down subtle motion blur and makes the image appear sharper and if that is a look you want then go for it.

High frame rates allow for smooth slow motion. They are used throughout TV and Motion pictures but, at normal speeds to achieve slow motion. All forms of TV and Motion Pictures around the world are running at speeds between 24 and 30 FPS because that is the closest to how our eyes perceive the world around us.

I just did a quick search for an example of how high frame rates are used in the industry and here is a video that contains several different commercials. The first one in particular is your run-of-the-mill modern commercial. In the first 30 seconds there is use of 30, 60 and 120 FPS clips but all are played back at the standard tv rate here in the states (NTSC) of 29.97.

I will just have to try the other settings (30 fps) and decide what works best. Your point is taken and I knew it was an issue when I got the drone and the computer, that many would not be able to view it in 4K anyway so why bother. In fact, as I recall, that was one of my wife's first questions. ;) I suppose I've been doing if for me alone, sitting here at this glorious 4K monitor. The FB uploads (as I stated are faring better by far than YT and I'm puzzled by that.)

Always match the source material so if you record in 30 - edit and render in 30. The exception (and PD currently cannot do this to my knowledge) is when you have a high frame rate clip such as 60 fps and you want the editor to interpret that footage at 30. This is what is done in that video above.

Yes, I get that. I had my PD settings on 60 fps. The next step down is 50 then 30 and I'm thinkin' 30. So I need to make that change in the drone. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I will just have to try the other settings (30 fps) and decide what works best. Your point is taken and I knew it was an issue when I got the drone and the computer, that many would not be able to view it in 4K anyway so why bother. In fact, as I recall, that was one of my wife's first questions. ;) I suppose I've been doing if for me alone, sitting here at this glorious 4K monitor. The FB uploads (as I stated are faring better by far than YT and I'm puzzled by that.)

One thing I am seeing in some of my YT videos is that; the 1080 playback of a 4K upload at maximum file size seems just a tad better than video I render out and upload at 1080 with a maximum file size

I'm shooting at 4K/60 fps (note: P stands for progressive, rather than interlaced, as in the way the scan lines are laid down on the TV/monitor) and I publish to YouTube at 4K/60. So far (two videos) this has not been an issue for me. That said, in PD 16 in the Publish section, I had to create a custom template for 4K/60 as there was no default. After created, the template worked fine.

I prefer 60 fps for exactly the reason that @Ty Pilot mentioned - I hate jerky scrolls and jerky motion in the video. In most cases, the 60 fps makes the video smooth enough for me to enjoy.

Lastly, decide on your audience. There will always be laggards that don't have hardware or internet connection speed to play the best quality video. Do you make everyone suffer and only publish for the laggards? Also, a 4K/60 published to YouTube will also have downgraded resolutions that others can view at. I say publish for the resolution you want to view at (4K/60) and let others deal with the hardware deficiencies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval