Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

what's the consensus on the latest firmware?

Reaction score
Have you guys reached a general consensus on the stability of the latest Yuneec firmware or are people still having mixed results?

I've upgraded one of my Hs and it installed with no problem. I've done one check flight and that went ok. This is really my back-up though; before I do this with my primary drone I'd like to know it is working for most people.

Is there a new release out?

I've had my drone for a month and it had the latest firmware on it at that time.

Here's the numbers for the latest firmware, released 11/16/16:

Firmware Typhoon H STD V3.01
Gimbal:v1.25, Autopilot:v1.30, Camera:v3.2.26

Controller Firmware
Firmware ST16 Controller STD v03.01.b27

Here's the numbers for the latest firmware, released 11/16/16:

Firmware Typhoon H STD V3.01
Gimbal:v1.25, Autopilot:v1.30, Camera:v3.2.26

Controller Firmware
Firmware ST16 Controller STD v03.01.b27

Mine came installed with that. I don't seem to have any issues with my drone. There was something said to me by support one time about some issues with the on board movie editor in the pad that would be addressed with the next update, but that's all I know about it.

Having successfully avoided updating since I first got my H at it's first release (I saw no real need to do an update), I finally did the update last Thursday because I'd started to experience some significant problems with connecting to the camera. Indeed, on it's last job it took half a hour to connect and my client was obviously getting p*ss*d off.

So I did the update and it seemed to go smoothly, but I've yet to confirm a complete success because I've yet to field test it (weather isn't brilliant in the north of England at the moment). However, initial indications are that it seems to have remedied the camera connection issue I was experiencing, so I gotta say it looks promising.

Having successfully avoided updating since I first got my H at it's first release (I saw no real need to do an update), I finally did the update last Thursday because I'd started to experience some significant problems with connecting to the camera. Indeed, on it's last job it took half a hour to connect and my client was obviously getting p*ss*d off.

So I did the update and it seemed to go smoothly, but I've yet to confirm a complete success because I've yet to field test it (weather isn't brilliant in the north of England at the moment). However, initial indications are that it seems to have remedied the camera connection issue I was experiencing, so I gotta say it looks promising.

The weather isn't so good in Ohio up by The Great Lakes. Those **** Canadians keep sending their artic air down here across our Great Lakes which always makes a mess of things.

I've been running the latest firmware since it was released. Though I've not done so many flights in the winter weather, they've all been uneventful and it has flown well. There appear to be a few spurious compass calibration errors initially, but otherwise, the machine has behaved as expected.

Okay, so I know that you know all of this, but I need to repeat it for others who may not be as aware.
After a firmware update everything gets zeroed out in the H......GPS, compass, accelerometers, etc. So you need to redo all the calibrations. Then set up the H outside and let it boot up for about 13 minutes to get a good GPS fix. It will store those new coords so the next time you fly you should see the coords on the ST16 stabilize quickly on the display.

Okay, so I know that you know all of this, but I need to repeat it for others who may not be as aware.
After a firmware update everything gets zeroed out in the H......GPS, compass, accelerometers, etc. So you need to redo all the calibrations. Then set up the H outside and let it boot up for about 13 minutes to get a good GPS fix. It will store those new coords so the next time you fly you should see the coords on the ST16 stabilize quickly on the display.
Indeed. After the update I did the accelerometers calibration and I'll do the rest of the calibrations in the field before taking off. Since I don't trust it on it's next flight I'm in conversation with a nearby school to use their sports field for it's flight test. No public access and only accessible when the school is closed by the caretaker opening the gate for me. I'm in no rush to take off and yes, I'll be waiting at least the 13 minutes.

Good point, tho.

I'm using the latest firmware in one of mine as well. It has some nice features in it. I've been closely following the H since well before it was released and like everyone else I've read the many posts about firmware problems. I've used every version of the firmware and not once had a problem with the firmware. I did have a problem with the upload once but later determined the problem was not the firmware but the manner it was being uploaded. The issue was resolved by watching a video and changing one step in what I was doing.

I feel that 99% of people having problems after a firmware update occur because they failed to follow instructions or that a change in the upload method was not adequately disseminated to the users. We read posts from different people that repeatedly say the same things in different ways over and over again and when we drill down we generally find just a single step was overlooked or that the user failed to review online information before attempting the upgrade. Both of these conditions are easily dealt with. We don't have problems with the actual firmware, nothing significant anyway, just with properly getting it into the systems. Do it right and the firmware does too.

Reactions: Rayray
I'll just include that there has been an issue with a run of GPS boards that had issues that only came to light when some folks updated to the latest firmware. The issue manifested as not holding compass calibration. You would calibrate the compass, and the calibration would finish successfully. Then, as soon as you started the motors, you would get a compass calibration error reported on the ST16. You could calibrate again, with the same result. In those cases, when reported to Yuneec, the GPS board was replaced and problem solved. I haven't seen any reports lately in various forums of that happening any longer so I suspect that the majority of the bad GPS boards have been replaced.

I have been flying my H with the updated firmware since day 1 with no hiccups to report. I get the occasional (very brief) compass warning checking the telemetry data, but that's expected. It has been rock solid.

I'll just include that there has been an issue with a run of GPS boards that had issues that only came to light when some folks updated to the latest firmware. The issue manifested as not holding compass calibration. You would calibrate the compass, and the calibration would finish successfully. Then, as soon as you started the motors, you would get a compass calibration error reported on the ST16. You could calibrate again, with the same result. In those cases, when reported to Yuneec, the GPS board was replaced and problem solved. I haven't seen any reports lately in various forums of that happening any longer so I suspect that the majority of the bad GPS boards have been replaced.
I agree...I'm one of those who had the GPS board replaced. I haven't flown mine since I got it back but yuneec told me they have had to replace a bunch of them.

Have you guys reached a general consensus on the stability of the latest Yuneec firmware or are people still having mixed results?

I've upgraded one of my Hs and it installed with no problem. I've done one check flight and that went ok. This is really my back-up though; before I do this with my primary drone I'd like to know it is working for most people.
Read my post on my 1st flyaway after the update,

I did 2 flights after updating to the latest firmware and I had numerous GPS, Compass warning and erratic flight. I sent it back to Yuneec to have it checked. They replaced the GPS board and upper accessory cover. I did 2 flight yesterday and I didn't have any warning at all. It flew great and I let it hover with my hands off the controls and it held position without any movement. Before when it hovered it would move around climb up and down like it was hunting for position.

I did 2 flights after updating to the latest firmware and I had numerous GPS, Compass warning and erratic flight. I sent it back to Yuneec to have it checked. They replaced the GPS board and upper accessory cover. I did 2 flight yesterday and I didn't have any warning at all. It flew great and I let it hover with my hands off the controls and it held position without any movement. Before when it hovered it would move around climb up and down like it was hunting for position.
Did you calibrate the GPS when you got it back, or did you fly it out of the box.

I have noticed that my H has a bit of trouble with holding its position after I did the update. Also, my landing gear will not retract. Was working fine before the update. I have recalibrated the accelerometer and compass a few times over now and get the same results. It seems to fly well, but when hovering, it moves around like its trying to find the right spot. And I have replaced the landing gear motors with the same result. The left LG goes up about 1/2 an inch or less but that's all. I can get the LG to work on the test, when you have it upside down with no rotors on and they work fine, but when in the upright position and hovering, they do not work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytingarden1