Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What's with the Leica camera? Square peg in a round hole!

Reaction score
What's with the Leica camera? Square peg in a round hole! Are they going to make square filters?

What's with the Leica camera? Square peg in a round hole! Are they going to make square filters?
Well,,i can tell you that when i visit Yuneec Europe i had the H3 in my hands.
The camera is amazing in photo and film.
Yes, the filters are square and removeble on the side of the camera, a real good solution for a quick changes of filters.
The drone is like the H Plus ans H520 but inside different by software.
In my opinion,,,,a perfect product for hobby pilots and prpf. photo and film industry.

I am hopeful for the new H3 but to be honest, I am somewhat skeptical about the new Ion L1 being superior to either the E90 or the C23, not saying it won't be as good or even a tad bit better but it will not be the type of leap in picture quality we saw between the CG03 and the C23.

I think improvements on the H3 such as the rate curves and others like the ND filter frame which uses tradition ND film are going to be the strengths of the H3.

Anyone know why Leica went with the rectangle?

Well,,i can tell you that when i visit Yuneec Europe i had the H3 in my hands.
The camera is amazing in photo and film.
Yes, the filters are square and removeble on the side of the camera, a real good solution for a quick changes of filters.
The drone is like the H Plus ans H520 but inside different by software.
In my opinion,,,,a perfect product for hobby pilots and prpf. photo and film industry.

I wouldn't call it professional photo or film considering it still lacks an adjustable aperture....

Anyone got a photo of the bottom of the ION camera? I can't seem to see the bottom of the camera in any video or photos. The only reason I ask is that after looking at the camera in videos people have shown, this literally looks liked a rebadged C23 with an ND fliter option. If the SD card is still on the bottom, then I'll say without a doubt that it is 100% a C23 and all Leica did was provide color profiles and a new housing to provide ND filter option along with creating a lens hood type shape to the front of the camera. All Yuneec did was unlock the existing C23 hardware as it could already provide 10BIT video log, HDR Video and WDR DNG files.

Also, I sold my last plus so that makes me Yuneecless =(

I am hopeful for the new H3 but to be honest, I am somewhat skeptical about the new Ion L1 being superior to either the E90 or the C23, not saying it won't be as good or even a tad bit better but it will not be the type of leap in picture quality we saw between the CG03 and the C23.

I think improvements on the H3 such as the rate curves and others like the ND filter frame which uses tradition ND film are going to be the strengths of the H3.

What may make it better is the software that Leica brings to the camera. They certainly have the talent to make a big difference. I think that the square "lens hood" may be a boon as well. It may also be nice to slide filters in and out rather than screwing on if they've engineered that properly.

The airframe and the basics of the Plus is dang good but could be better if they add a few of the features back to it from the old TH 480.

You will always be Yuneec with us, buddy... which is good, since we couldn't put up with more than one of ya... :p

Anyone know why Leica went with the rectangle?

I remember shooting a Leica 28mm M series lens with a square lens hood; it worked really well. If I remember correctly, being quite a bit of time ago, it would 'rotate' on the lens so I could always have the narrow part of the shade on the Top to Bottom to protect against the sun : it being vertically moving as opposed to horizontal. With the fixed position of the new camera always being locked into one framing position, it does make sense to have an optimal lens hood for the majority of the framing.

Does it make a difference? It is in Leica history, so perhaps.

Anyone got a photo of the bottom of the ION camera? I can't seem to see the bottom of the camera in any video or photos. The only reason I ask is that after looking at the camera in videos people have shown, this literally looks liked a rebadged C23 with an ND fliter option. If the SD card is still on the bottom, then I'll say without a doubt that it is 100% a C23 and all Leica did was provide color profiles and a new housing to provide ND filter option along with creating a lens hood type shape to the front of the camera. All Yuneec did was unlock the existing C23 hardware as it could already provide 10BIT video log, HDR Video and WDR DNG files.

I too am Yuneecless. I sold my H Plus several months ago.

The C23 I had did not have this photo quality :

If my other questions about the new H3 pan out regarding hyperlapse, no black out when flying and taking photos, no 'artifacts' in the 4k video, I will purchase one.

Relative to the DJI Hasselblad that I had for a few weeks, I would expect the Lecia to smoke it for video. The actual Hasselblad is not using the full 1" sensor for 4k video due to overheating; they reduced the sensor area to compensate for that.

I do not like the lapse of a viable Occusync or Lightbridge technology; if the H Plus had that I would not have sold mine. But I am resolved to using the Leica drone in close proximity.

Waiting for the first reports ...

As good as the H3 will be, it will come short if it dont have a variable aperture (also mechanical shutter).
The P4p as it almost 3 years ago. Releasing a new camera without at least those capabilities, and when its coming the EVO with 48mpx photos, 8k 60 fps and 12MBs or a 1" sensor with 6k and 120fps and adjustable aperture...
Dont know... just wait and see.
But for now, ill keep my 2 H480 and one 520 and have no plan to go to a H3.

What really would have made sense to me for both Leica and Yuneec to stand out with this product was to make it a four-thirds sensor. They could have instantly shown a demonstrable improvement in camera spec aside from just relying on the Leica brand name and software improvements. I mean, a 1" sensor can only get so much better than the ten other 1" sensors out there. If you're going after serious hobbyists with deep pockets and semi-pros, why not go all the way and really provide a true competitor to the DJI Inspire 2?

Reactions: thoneter
The tradeoff moving from a 1" sensor to M4/3 would be a significant upgrade in lenses. The bigger the sensor the bigger the lenses given the same aperture. Some want to add aperture, zoom, etc to the camera as well. That would add weight and then people would be disappointed with the flight time they'd have. Lots of design considerations....

1576375170995.png

The tradeoff moving from a 1" sensor to M4/3 would be a significant upgrade in lenses. The bigger the sensor the bigger the lenses given the same aperture.

In addition, the larger the desired image area coverage (sensor size)... the longer focal length required, to obtain a specific Field of View.

Reactions: rdonson
4/3 for a still frame is probably doable in these small packages. But thermal considerations are most likely beyond handling for 4k video. I would think 40% more heat would be generated. Lesson learned from DJI Hasselblad in that they had to use less then the 1" sensor for the 4k video effectively framing a zoomed in 55mm focal length as the sensor area used is less.

Also, I know the diagrams all show the sensor size relative to 35mm film.

Great. My 35mm Leica film is not, was not, even close to what todays 1" sensors produce. Just look at the introduction video shown of the H3 release (in German) and they are rolling off 30" prints from this camera. Incredible quality; it just smokes what the old 35mm film could do.

35mm is also a popular size for digital cameras. It was bread and butter for Canon and Nikon for quite a while. Now that DSLRs are heading toward dinosaur status 35mm is going mirrorless. Others, like me, wanted a lighter load than my Canon DSLRs and lenses and moved to APS-C (Fuji for me) or M4/3.

The images I get with my APS-C Fuji more than meet my needs. I can easily print 17x25" and when I'm taking panos there's no problem with 38" prints.

FWIW I still have my old Canon film cameras and even my old twin Lens medium format cameras). I no longer work in the darkroom and I don't miss it one iota. I was a disciple of Ansel Adams and followed his method of B&W darkroom characterization of films and film processing.

Reactions: Windluv
4/3 for a still frame is probably doable in these small packages. But thermal considerations are most likely beyond handling for 4k video. I would think 40% more heat would be generated. Lesson learned from DJI Hasselblad in that they had to use less then the 1" sensor for the 4k video effectively framing a zoomed in 55mm focal length as the sensor area used is less.

Also, I know the diagrams all show the sensor size relative to 35mm film.

Great. My 35mm Leica film is not, was not, even close to what todays 1" sensors produce. Just look at the introduction video shown of the H3 release (in German) and they are rolling off 30" prints from this camera. Incredible quality; it just smokes what the old 35mm film could do.
So what is generating the heat? My cell camera is a 50 megapixel. The screen is 6 inches. Is it the difference in density? I seriously want to know but I am for the most part clueless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval