Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Where did you place your FAA Registration Number?

I lived in Canada for several years and I went to Calgary last November to check things out and possibly moving there. I know justin is having his own problems. but my wife and I are trumped out to the max. I saw friends I haven't seen in almost thirty years. I taught at the banff centre of fine arts from 1981until 1995. While I was visiting it seems they are tougher with laws than down here. You can't fly in provincial parks or in cities. That part is the same down here so I didn't see a single drone in the entire area. The only reason I fly in the park I use because it's rare for anyone to use the park during the day. No drones, no frisbees and not many dogs except ours when we bring her with us. What's next? Does this mean I also must get a driver's license too?

One more thing ala Colombo. Who are the drone police anyway? Cops, dog catchers, elvis?

Need to ask, what are you using for a filter/adapter? Really like the lens cap!

That’s the Olympus Mod for the C23 camera.....

I used Inkscape to get the design using the guidelines for the height and width of the label from the FAA site to register it, (don't remember where it was on the site), used "MS Snipping tool and pasted it in Inkscape, then created my unique registration number and my after making sure the scaling was right. hid the Snipingtools image and used the vectors in The Gimp to create a properly sized image to make it as a jpg file and went to wall mart to get a photo printed. Took it home and cut the labels and tape over it with waterproof invisible tape onto the drone. Total cost including the invisable tape: .$1.50 plus tax

Attachments

• mydrone.jpg
    mydrone.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: DCH
I used Inkscape to get the design using the guidelines for the height and width of the label from the FAA site to register it, (don't remember where it was on the site), used "MS Snipping tool and pasted it in Inkscape, then created my unique registration number and my after making sure the scaling was right. hid the Snipingtools image and used the vectors in The Gimp to create a properly sized image to make it as a jpg file and went to wall mart to get a photo printed. Took it home and cut the labels and tape over it with waterproof invisible tape onto the drone. Total cost including the invisable tape: .$1.50 plus tax
Nice job, looks great! Although I don't think there's a specified required size in dimensions or font.

Scotch tape (actual brand) and a contrasting Sharpie, but not necessarily too contrasting. Example: Black on a Typhoon H480 is contrast enough, though black on H520 is, well, highly visible. Doh!!!

Very low cost. Apply wherever feasible. Removable. If it fades, redo.

Just sayin’.

Jeff

To answer the rest of the questions, here is how I made my numbers, they are weatherproof but removable should I sell the drone and it cost me nothing.

1] Using Microsoft Word, I typed the Numbers in Arial Bold, 24 Point, Italicized - White letters with a Black Highlight/Background.
2] Copy and Paste extras, or multiple numbers as necessary onto the same page.
3] Cutout the number and place onto a strip of 2 inch clear packing tape - font down.
4] Trim the sides of the tape making sure to keep fingers on the paper to eliminate finger prints and smudges.
5] Align the number with the arm and secure the sides first, roll the bottom under, then the top around and over.
I TOTALLY LIKE THAT IDEA !! THANKS :)

I noticed some pics in here obscured part of their FAA registration number.
Isn't it like a Licence Plate number, its meant to be displayed publicly.
Is showing the whole thing a bad idea?

Last edited:
To me? No. My numbers are commercial numbers so they're tied to each specific aircraft's serial number. If someone were to take my number and put it on their UAV and something happened; I might get contacted but I have my UAV as proof it was not me. So when the Feds do catch that person, they get to answer for that too. As far as hobby registration I would think it is much the same way.

With car license plate people can get a lot of info about where a person lives and so forth, with drones what are you gonna do with the number? Not too many people have access to the FAA data base so I don't think its a big deal. But I do understand in today's world being extra cautious about thing that are attached to our identities.

As Ty stated, displaying registration number on forum probably isn't a major concern, but anything on the Internet is widespread available to the mass.

It's not only possible to obtain number, but could also inversely be used to collect additional personal information if another Govt system was compromised... I was in the OPM System when breached by Chinese.

For myself, not divulging the number on the open Internet may help reduce future frustrations in multiple ways.

Reactions: NemesisChiken
Lots of great ideas here, thanks everyone! I wanted to keep it simple and use my Brother label maker. I personally like the high contrast of black on orange, so I bought some black-on-clear matte label tape.

And now since I removed my Real Sense and replaced it with the H520 lampshade, I have a new place it can go. And since these are commonly referred to as "Tail Numbers", what better place than on its tail?

However some of you guys have totally freaked me out with the whole ID theft thing! So in the interest of privacy, I have not revealed my FAA registration number for the photo I am sharing with everyone, but you get the idea.

OP EDIT:
In fact I am so freaked out now about anyone seeing my FAA number, that after thinking about a little more I have decided not to display at it all!
Instead I have a notice to request my FAA registration number! Problem solved!:cool:
Ask for ID.jpg

I think you actually have to have the FAA number on the drone for any 107 commercial use, maybe even just for recreational use too

• Sad
107 or recreational, both types of aircraft, including model airplanes, are required to display their registration number pn the outside of the aircraft.
What!?! No sense of humor?:rolleyes:
Come on, lighten up and laugh! ...I'm not as dumb as I look!:p

• Haha
Reactions: NemesisChiken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox