Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Which micro sd card

Reaction score
image.jpeg thought I would just ask what micro sd cards you all use, I was using a sandisk 32gb extreme, and it was fine until today when the H and ST16 stopped recognising it .... So I tried to reformat in my Mac and it decided to get very very hot and burn a hole through the sd card holder as you can see in the pic.

Anyway I need a new card and I wondered what the collective would suggest ?
Thanks in advance :)

Yikes, never saw that happen before! It's like your card shorted out the tiny connectors. I've heard of cat hair on circuit boards causing similar problems.

As for a card, we're talking a tiny 4K camera here with a low bitrate, so anything that can write at 48 MB/s will work fine. If you own a somewhat new computer than also look for a read speed of 48 MB/s or higher (90 MB/s). This way when you copy the files off the card, onto your computer it will be extremely quick.

Yikes, never saw that happen before! It's like your card shorted out the tiny connectors. I've heard of cat hair on circuit boards causing similar problems.

As for a card, we're talking a tiny 4K camera here with a low bitrate, so anything that can write at 48 MB/s will work fine. If you own a somewhat new computer than also look for a read speed of 48 MB/s or higher (90 MB/s). This way when you copy the files off the card, onto your computer it will be extremely quick.

Yeah brings a whole new meaning to 'cooking' the data on your card.... The card seems fine though but I'm not sure if the data on it is recoverable and I don't want to put it in anything to find out !

Reactions: Luckyleaf
View attachment 1627 thought I would just ask what micro sd cards you all use, I was using a sandisk 32gb extreme, and it was fine until today when the H and ST16 stopped recognising it .... So I tried to reformat in my Mac and it decided to get very very hot and burn a hole through the sd card holder as you can see in the pic.

Anyway I need a new card and I wondered what the collective would suggest ?
Thanks in advance :)
Wow, thats crazy....
Is that the card adapter which came with the H?
What does the contact sides of the card and adapter look like?
Which mac utility were you using?
How long was in the mac?
Was it in the mac directly or an external card reader.I

You are very lucky there was no fire or damage to your mac....
I think I would be dropping a line to SanDisk about that, it's very weird.

What you want most of all is to give the processor the best chance to write quickly to disk for 4k its recommended UHS 1, it will be marked with HC-1 or XC-1 (Which is what you have already)

image.jpeg
Wow, thats crazy....
Is that the card adapter which came with the H?
What does the contact sides of the card and adapter look like?
Which mac utility were you using?
How long was in the mac?
Was it in the mac directly or an external card reader.I

You are very lucky there was no fire or damage to your mac....
I think I would be dropping a line to SanDisk about that, it's very weird.

What you want most of all is to give the processor the best chance to write quickly to disk for 4k its recommended UHS 1, it will be marked with HC-1 or XC-1 (Which is what you have already)

Yes it's the card adapter that came with the H
Here's the pic of the contact sides
Using sd card reader in the back of the Mac ( Mac only 1 year old )
Probably 5 mins

I took it out and it burnt my finger that was the first I new about it getting hot !

Last edited:
View attachment 1628

Yes it's the card adapted the came with the H
Here's the pic of the contact sides
Using sd card reader in the back of the Mac ( Mac only 1 year old )
Probably 5 mins

I took it out and it burnt my finger that was the first I new about it getting hot !

I'd call your dealer and send him the photos and also send an email to Yuneec CS for whichever region you are in, Contact Us , also call apple, even that its one year older a bit more if the fault is on their side they will want to jump on this.

It's a serious issue that could start a fire in someones home or worse.

Yuneec recommends a card that is labeled U3.
Oh, I didn't spot that, U3 would defiantly be appropriate if we were getting 100mbs 4k, but they have supplied a U1 with the H.
Is that referenced on their site or in a manual?

Last edited:
Yes 16 GB U3 class 10. I think I have that the camera will take up to 32GB but the ST 16 will only read 16GB.

I was told by a tech at yuneec to use a class 10 U3 card when I picked my H up after repairs. I had a sandisk card that got very hot also (but nothing melted) but I did drop it due to the heat. It wouldn't format or be recognized by the ST16, th or my computer, so sandisk sent me an RMA for replacement. Sometimes you just get a lemon or they have a bad batch. He also told me you should be able to use up to a 128GB I use 64GB lexar 1000X and 1800X class 10 U3's with no problems.

I'd call your dealer and send him the photos and also send an email to Yuneec CS for whichever region you are in, Contact Us , also call apple, even that its one year older a bit more if the fault is on their side they will want to jump on this.

It's a serious issue that could start a fire in someones home or worse.

Apple haves confined that it is not the Mac, and fortunately no damage to it either .... You've got to love Apple's service pretty much second to none !

So it's down to the sd card or the holder .... Sandisk have recalled it so they can test it and they will replace if faulty :)

Apple haves confined that it is not the Mac, and fortunately no damage to it either .... You've got to love Apple's service pretty much second to none !

So it's down to the sd card or the holder .... Sandisk have recalled it so they can test it and they will replace if faulty :)
Judging by the volume of melted sandisk 32GB cards that turn up on Google searches I think it's very likely it's the card. It looks like there is some defect with lots of this size and model. I'd ask for a different one in return.
Yes Apple I completely agree too, there is not thing like their level of respect to the costumer, I've had amongst others, a 5 year old iPhone replaced with a like new one, and a 3 year macbook pro, replaced with a brand new model, it was like they made excuses to not just replace like for like, but to upgrade what they were replacing. Great machines back up by incredible CS..money well invested!

image.jpg
Judging by the volume of melted sandisk 32GB cards that turn up on Google searches I think it's very likely it's the card. It looks like there is some defect with lots of this size and model. I'd ask for a different one in return.
Yes Apple I completely agree too, there is not thing like their level of respect to the costumer, I've had amongst others, a 5 year old iPhone replaced with a like new one, and a 3 year macbook pro, replaced with a brand new model, it was like they made excuses to not just replace like for like, but to upgrade what they were replacing. Great machines back up by incredible CS..money well invested!

Yes agreed ref Apple, I quite like the sandisk cards even though they are pretty expensive for what they are I paid £74 3 years ago !

Still I've replaced the card with this now so I shouldn't have any problems hopefully ! Funny they put a pic of a drone on the packaging top right

Reactions: banned user

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval