Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why didn't yuneec use a bigger battery?

Reaction score
So why didn't yuneec fit a bigger battery in the H ?
I'm sure they know that the 20 minutes or less flight times , was going the gey the mine going for 25 minutes from phantom owners.
Is it cost ?

Reactions: Ralphy and yuneec53
This is a camera drone not a racer. I'm a hobbyist that also likes to save some of my flights. The batt we have is 16.72 volts 6600mA packed into a 14.8 volt 5400mA 4S batt. Not too bad. You can fly out 1800 feet, view or video and fly back on TH.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopFlightTexas
This is a "balancing act". A bigger battery means greater weight; greater weight means you need more powerful motors; more powerful motors use more power(battery), and in turn greater costs.

Right now it all hinges on battery technology. Thats what has really driven multi-rotors. While more efficient motors and programming can make some changes, its going to take a technological leap in batteries to get noticeable increases in flight times.

Personally, I'm fine with 20ish minutes flying time which suits me just fine for 90% of what I want to do. Sure it'd be nice to have a pack that could go 30 minutes for that 10%...

Peter what did you get for the xtra 600mah

The answer to your question is 'cost'. This is the same reason Yuneec didn't go the Smart Battery route. Currently I think the batteries are over priced. Previously when they were priced around $100 it was an acceptable alternative to a Smart Battery.

As for flight time, I do find it rather short for a camera drone.

CD isn't it only $10.00 difference tween the two now? That is 4900mah vs 5400mah. But one is a 3s right? My Autel has smart batteries.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
What if like to know is if he checked the balance of his H with the OEM battery installed vs the mod battery tray. It seems with the battery sticking out some the way it is, the balance will be shifted toward the rear motors and causing the rear motors to work harder; thus run hotter.

I'm definitely not a fan of a mod that causes a set of some of the motors to work harder than the others. Just seems to me to be asking for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've built me own , so I know there is a sweet spot , were adding more battery power doesn't improve flight times It just get harder to control, but not sure if the H is it that sweet spot and they just went for the saving a few more pennies.

Reactions: abinder
i believe the real problem is in the Q or H , is the size and how it fit's in the battery bay , if you want more MAh's ( not just 600 ) you need a larger battery and with the larger size comes the weight problem and that it wont fit in the battery bay . if you want to stay in the air 5 minutes longer a larger battery is a must ,until they come out with a better battery with new technologically that is lighter and has more MAh per battery we will have to use what we have .
flu safe

Last edited:
CD isn't it only $10.00 difference tween the two now? That is 4900mah vs 5400mah. But one is a 3s right? My Autel has smart batteries.
When the Yuneec Typhoon H batteries first came out I recall them being $109 (that was back in May). Then they shot up to $139 and $149. I think the $109 is more reasonable for the type of battery that it is.

The H batteries are, IMO, overpriced, just as Chroma batteries are. The only reason for the plastic case is to hold the H owner hostage to an over priced battery.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
What you described does not justify DJI's smart battery pricing either. All you referenced cost only a few dollars to equip. Anyone employing proprietary battery designs does so to rip off the customer.

New laws for transporting LiPo's may have contributed to the price increase. I'm not saying that's the case but is possible.

As an OT side note, the P4 which I also have, gets flopped around in high winds like a rag doll whereas the H holds rock steady. Three times now I went to the Lake Huron shoreline and declined flying the P4 because of the wind. I had no problem landing the H without the need to catch it. It still does not land as nice as my Arducopter copters, but once you understand how to land it, the H is fine. I have never once hand caught a MR as IMO if it can't take off and land with the controller, it shouldn't be flown in those conditions.

Reactions: Eliphion
Very overpriced for a dumb battery. there is no protection board no balance board no active cell monitoring, no power level display. nothing to justify the price
The board electronics for balance charging are in the charger. The power level display is on the ST16....good enough for me.

It is possible to use aftermarket batteries for the H which is not possible for a DJI. $170 is not worth the extra eye candy IMO.

Shouldn't you be on the DJI forum telling them how crappy their batteries are for allowing their copters to fall from the sky? Why should it be necessary to take off with a 100% charged battery?

Guys...

Graphene 6600mah 17min to first warning 19 min land
Multistar 8000 20 min first warning 24 min land

Multistar lihv 8000mah 28min first warning 30+min flight

You can get my tray and fit them in or you can solder an xt60 to the main board run in out the back and slip the battery in and use duct tape to secure it.

Yuneec factory battery= trash

Ticking time bomb read on all the people whos H fell outta the sky.

Reactions: banned user
When the Yuneec Typhoon H batteries first came out I recall them being $109 (that was back in May). Then they shot up to $139 and $149. I think the $109 is more reasonable for the type of battery that it is.

You can get them for $110 plus shipping from China.

What you described does not justify DJI's smart battery pricing either. All you referenced cost only a few dollars to equip. Anyone employing proprietary battery designs does so to rip off the customer.

Indeed thats why we liberated the battery on the H.

So why didn't yuneec fit a bigger battery in the H ?
I'm sure they know that the 20 minutes or less flight times , was going the gey the mine going for 25 minutes from phantom owners.
Is it cost ?

Thats my buddy Mike i hooked him up! Theres my tray in magenta!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval