Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why the "H" didn't my H land? Advice! :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone,

First I'm not new to flying drones. I guess it's okay from what I've read to mention 'the others' - so I have/had a Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro+ .....
Any advice? Hints? Tips? Stop reading negative posts and read only the happy and contented ones? Is Inez going to be my disobedient youngster now that I have to handle with 'kid' gloves? :) ... Poor Inez. Or poor me.
Help!
I'm afraid of my H!!!!
2lip

wow...thank you @2lip for a wonderful read. Your original post had me appreciating the wit, the sarcasm, the humor; then your replies just got better. A little long winded (as are mine), but thank you for not wasting my time reading ;)

Welcome to the forum.

My $.02: over time you will begin to appreciate Inez more and more.

-ZenLife

Reactions: 2lip
Hi 2lip,
I read the first page but skipped to the end as I didn't have time to read everything.
If you're sorted then ignore this:
I saw that Obs avoidance was unavailable. ( I don't have O.A. ) did you have enough GPS signals ?
Was there anything nearby which could interfere with the signal ? ( I find that cameras with a wireless signal cause problems )
Did you calibrate everything before flying ?
Just a few ideas.

Jim
( In England )

Hi 2lip,
I would go with Patr and his comments on remounting the gimbal. FWIW, my "other" Yuneec drone had an argument with a dead poplar tree. On hitting the ground, the camera broke free and rolled about 20ft into the bush. Upon reattaching the gimbal, rather than using what looks like 6lb test fishing line that came with the kit, I used some 20lb fishing line from my tackle box. I don't know if the H kit comes with anything similar (Hoping I don't have to find out.) and I realize dental floss may be more readily available but, fishing line would be my suggestion. I went with something stronger not so it didn't break but, rather, when it did break; the camera may not travel so far and save a hunt. Also, when it does break, the camera comes free without damaging the fuselage as the fishing line is weaker than the frame. Dental floss can vary in break strength. Fishing line comes with a break strength rating.
Hoping you have success on future flights and discover the cause so you can overcome it.

You have real sense and it was probably on which is why it would not land. You are making way too many assumptions about the H based on others lack of learning it's idiosyncratic behaviors. You need to watch the tutorials that shipped on the provided SD card. Smart mode is for beginners and since you have quad stick time already you don't need to learn to fly so it's always angle mode for you right now. People who are used to the instant gratification of DJI seem to experience your problem when they fly an H. It's a learning curve that's not kind to first time Yuneec users. Fortunately, they have a robust warranty and work with you to help figure out what failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FYI you can land with RS and OA on. When you come close to ground, the H will turn off OA automatically. I have personally done this. If I can find a good spot to take off, I prefer RTH land. From what the OP says it looks like it was in smart mode and he walked to the H with the controller. I have accidentally done this by enabling the smart mode while activating the landing gear.

I'll go with that.

2lip,

Your first post was mighty disparaging of the H while extolling the virtues of your "other branded" products. Some of us have experience with them as well, but not with the level of satisfaction you have. I'm fairly aligned with what Rayray stated when he mentioned staying with what you already have if you are happy with them. We see far too many posts from DJI owners, users, shills in this forum not to be up to our eyebrows fed up with them.

As for why it didn't land and my two word description. I'll start with the latter. "User error" is by far the largest reason for H issues. From operation to firmware updates it's generally the user that did something wrong that caused them problems. That error may have been unwitting, through ignorance, laziness, haste, or just a refusal to follow procedures. No, the manual is not very good but some are trying to put together reference information that is considerably more comprehensive for those that elect to review it. People coming from other systems, especially those that have a lot of time with other systems, myself included, have a tendency to operate the H in a manner similar to what they had been flying before. They will find they can run into problems going that route. I certainly did after spending considerable time with Wookong, APM, Pixhawk, and Vector flight controllers. We have to start fresh and take a little time to learn the differences in the H before jumping to the advanced features. Learn to crawl, then walk, before trying to run. Get the foundations solid before trying to build the roof.

When landing the H we must hold the throttle stick down for a few moments after touchdown before the motors spool down. Failing that, if we immediately let off the throttle after touchdown the system will spin the motors back up to flight speed. If we are not prepared for that we may be holding some amount of yaw, pitch, or roll in the sticks we were not aware of because in our minds we had already quit flying. The condition reminds me of a full scale adage of never quit flying the airplane until it is parked, engine off, and tied down. So if we are inputting anything for the flight controls the H is going to run with that as soon as it leaves the ground. It can be both startling and confusing for the operator. If your H was not in Smart mode that could have been what happened to you.

I can't speak for RealSense as I don't have it. I have OA but have never used it since it has only once that I have had the H in a position to make use of it but using it would have prevented me from getting the shot I was after. Your camera repair looks to be a fairly simple one. If any of the damper balls have been lost they can be easily obtained from either Yuneec or a dealer. I would go with a dealer because they can get things out the door a little faster than Yuneec can. Yuneec has absolutely superb customer service but they have to deal with more people every day than a dealer does. CarolinaDronz or Vertigo would be the direction I would go for small parts if it were mine. If you still have gimbal control and video from the camera the wiring is likely a matter of removing a few small screws from the front of the gimbal arm and stuffing the wires back up into it. If it's worse than that and needs to go back for factory repair, call Yuneec and tell them exactly what happened without any drama or embellishments. If you go that way I think you find they will take **** good care of you.

I too am offering an olive branch but bear in mind I don't care about DJI stuff. Been there, done that. I left another forum because of all the DJI fan boys and don't need that BS here, they have their own forum to play in. In turn I try not to beat on DJI unless and until their ilk tries to start something here. Initially, that's what I thought your first post was all about. I hope I took it the wrong way and I'll move forward on that basis. In any event, once this is straightened out and you get some time on your H I think you'll like it. It is certainly different from what you have been flying but that's not a bad thing. Tools have different applications so I'm certain you'll find applications where the H works better for a job than a Phantom, just as a Phantom will be better for some jobs than the H. I am absolutely certain you'll find the gimbal on the H better than anything you have used yet with a consumer drone.

In closing, welcome to the forum, sorry to learn you had a problem, and hopefully you will be back in the air quickly.
Well put, PatR. I might add that Terrestrial Imaging is a competent supplier and great to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone