Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Would you fly?

None of the smaller DJI quads can deal with the amount of wind the H can. That includes Inspires.

None of the smaller DJI quads can deal with the amount of wind the H can. That includes Inspires.
Not sure if that's accurate, a quad vs hex power train isn't the only point of stabilization. Motor's ability to react, GPS, Inertia / Gyro sensor sensitivity, CG of aircraft, etc. all play a factor.
Humorously, if you count the “smaller” as the Spark and Tello... agree these little guys will dance around in winds above 15-20 mph for Spark and 6-8 mph for Tello.

In my observation, on a smaller Mavic Pro (Mavic Air, no opinion yet) if below 25-40' altitude will general easily be more stable than the H due to what I'm assuming is visual ground position sensors are more sensitive and fuselage CoF & Drag is lower than the H. Get them both up to 80-160' and they both appear to drift and move about equal in "wind gusts". The Mavic tends to drift sideways on strong gusts, and the H tends to bob up & down more. On Strong consistent Head winds, the H clearly out powers the Mavic Pro to Hold it position better, the Mavic power lacks to hold on strong head winds. The Inspire 1, I would agree will drift a little more than the H in strong "gusts", but if it's a strong head wind the Inspire 1 tends to hold position better. The H will drift back & bob with the wind more than the Inspire 1, and again assuming CoF & Drag play a large factor. The Inspire 2 I'm not fully aware of but it's spec'ed as being much more stable & powerful than the Inspire 1 series and is configured with multiple sensors lacking in the Inspire 1. The Matrice 210 is an extremely stable Quad, it'll hold in high head winds & gusts... probably easily the best I've personally seen. But not a fair comparison, it's not considered a "smaller" series... it's an Enterprise class with a enterprise price with design that was focused on stability.

No fact, just my observation opinion: The H's GPS seems to react a little slower or maybe not as granular in response as newer DJI models. If in extended hover, the H will attempt to correct it’s drift nicely although with each correction slowly moving off original mark, the Inspire 1 tends to hold it’s mark when correcting from a drift. I feel the H’s movement off mark isn’t as much drift as GPS; if the GPS sensitivity or smaller granulity the H would probably hold much better in head winds and gusts based on the physical dynamics (power & hex) of the craft.

Last edited:
Practical experience has established my claim as factual. The Typhoon H has been repeatedly proven more stable in wind than any of the Phantom and Inspire models. The 520 took that several steps further. The Phantoms and Inspires get blown all over the place. There are several You Tube wind comparison videos to assist substantiation. The Matrice was not included as a "small quad" and it's flight controller is superior to both the Phantom and Inspire.

Practical experience has established my claim as factual. The Typhoon H has been repeatedly proven more stable in wind than any of the Phantom and Inspire models. The 520 took that several steps further. The Phantoms and Inspires get blown all over the place. There are several You Tube wind comparison videos to assist substantiation. The Matrice was not included as a "small quad" and it's flight controller is superior to both the Phantom and Inspire.
Agree several YouTubes... but I’ve seen both ways. Practical personal experience of both; Gusts tend to favor the H, consistent wind in my opinion favor the Inspire 1. Many YouTubes show the H losing & gaining vertical altitude, which is similar to my finding too. The Phantoms would agree, move around a lot. I’ve seen many of those too, no knowledge of newest Phontom.

The Inspire 2 and H520... out for debate.

In wind, my concern is more vertical bobbing. If as example, inspecting a structures gutters, maintaining a consistent close distance isn’t as challenging with Mavic Pro than my H. Maybe hover ground effects,etc also in play with the instability.

Last edited:
Of the Youtubes I've seen where the winds were above 40 the H was the clear winner. I don't fly in those winds as I like my drones in one piece. I've seen the vertical hold on DJI products and they destroy the Yuneec products. I like the redundancy of the hexes which is why I went with Yuneec products and their tech support.

I truly wish the Yuneec products had the vertical hold with optical ground sensors that DJI has. If you took out the sensors from DJI products then I think Yuneec hexes would win hands down.

No argument with the vertical hold from me. Yuneec could do better in this area if they desired.

I was wondering how everybody determines the wind speed when on location. I bought one of those anemometer things on Amazon thinking it would give me an instant wind velocity reading. Wrong. I end up documenting a wind speed from UAV Forecast or weather.com. The winds here tend to not be steady, rather gusting from 0 to whatever at any given moment. The H and the gimbal seem to handle this quite well.

Since wind speed decreases as it nears the ground and the direction changes a little bit as well I use the tree and crow method to make a go-no go decision. If the wind is blowing where the crows aren’t flying and the tree tops are almost touching the ground, I don’t fly.

I was wondering how everybody determines the wind speed when on location. I bought one of those anemometer things on Amazon thinking it would give me an instant wind velocity reading. Wrong. I end up documenting a wind speed from UAV Forecast or weather.com. The winds here tend to not be steady, rather gusting from 0 to whatever at any given moment. The H and the gimbal seem to handle this quite well.
UAV forecast app

I have an anemometer and I do take readings from it but it will only give an approximation (a low approximation at that) of wind speed, and the wind speed it measures is only at a height that my hand can reach. However, I do record the speed as given by my anemometer for my log book and to satisfy my Operations Manual if its a commercial flight. Movement of the trees will give a better idea of wind strength up to the height of the trees and the amount of movement will determine, for me, whether I launch an aircraft irrespective of what my anemometer indicates.

Of course UAV Weather Forecast is always consulted before setting out to a site...I've found that app to be quite reliable...Far more accurate than any TV weather forecaster.

Last edited:
UAV Forecast is my go to app for determinations on wind speed at various heights and wind direction.

UAV Forecast, is a good app, until Thoseter reintroduced it, I had faded away from relying on it. It does have a nice "Wind" section.

The Wind is close compared to other apps, one feature I just recently noticed with the yearly subscription is that it provides Wind Speeds at altitudes from 33' to 5000' in both Head Wind and Gust including Temps at Altitudes. That and the 7 day Forecast are very handy.
Although, all apps have their limits of accuracy... TV news forecasted hard rains this afternoon, spotty tonight and bulk of rain tomorrow too. The UAV Forecast indicates 0% while it's raining for last 2 hours.

Provides NFZ's too, fully configurable by Pilot. It provides NFZ notice banners for DJI AC based on current sw versions, although it lumps all 4 DJI zones into 1 single zone even though the Inner 4th circle is the only uncontrolled zone not able to "easily over ride" for DJI AC; all but inner 4th zone can be easily be over ridden within DJI apps with a few clicks.

Other ones to check out for grins... Hover, free & good app. Drone Buddy, quick screen of Temps, Wind, KP, Visibility, Precep, Sun Rise/Set and NFZ Map. For a little more on the KP forecasting, Magnetology is a great app for KP only. The KittyHawk isn't worth a crap on free version, but very useful on Paid version. Includes nice log, battery, etc and one area I like is dropping pins on areas you may travel and it provides the accurate forecast & conditions of that area.

Reactions: thoneter

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval